Public Liability Insurance

good to know as its the first club I joined when I got my license!

1 Like

Iā€™m with Richard.

I canā€™t believe a discussion about insurance has generated 21 replies (oops - 22), some of them in favour of forking out substantial annual amounts for ā€¦ nothing.

2 Likes

If youā€™re really worried then just join the GQRP club @ Ā£6 a year. AND the club and sprat are great!

Rob G7LAS

2 Likes

I wish I could understand Sprat but it is mostly gobbeldegook to me - Yes, I suppose I should understand, but I have never managed to get to grips.
Jim

Thatā€™s easy to explain, those who have needed or almost needed 3rd party liability insurance for whatever activity are probably more sensitive to the need than those who have never been in such a situation.

2 Likes

Okay folks. The RSGB GM replied and as a result I have had a lengthy phone conversation with him - nice bloke unlike the one who left under mysterious circumstances. He has clarified that membership of an affiliated organisation does not automatically confer cover on members of that organisation in respect of their own activities - only those activities that are explicitly organised by the affiliated organisation. He will seek to have this clarified on the website.

Furthermore he has said that he will raise the issue of liability insurance for personal portable operating with their insurers and then take a view on whether any likely cost would be offset by increased membership. I pointed out the cycling model as both British Cycling and the group for pensioners, the CTC, offer this insurance as part of their membership package. In the case of cycling, having such insurance is often a requirement to join a cycling club. The potential risks involved in cycling are very different from what we do of course.

2 Likes

Just wait until people start suing their neighbours for ā€œcausing injury or diseaseā€ due to RF exposure, then youā€™ll wish you had 3rd Party Liability Insurance! We live in a very litigious society these days, following the example of the USA.

Walt (G3NYY)

If you think the USA is bad, you should try living in Germany. Everyone has private liability insurance, not only that MY DOG has her own policy as well! No joke.

73 Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes

The more insurance people have, the more worthwhile it is suing them.

2 Likes

How long before we all start getting phone calls: ā€œhave you had an accident near a trig point that wasnā€™t your faultā€¦ā€?

:o)

Adrian
G4AZS

4 Likes

TopicHijack

Oi, some of us just like touringā€¦ :smile: Iā€™m a long way from my pensionā€¦ oh, hang on, Iā€™m not anymoreā€¦ but I was when I joinedā€¦
/TopicHijack

Back to being seriousā€¦ having this as a member benefit would be useful and (as I mentioned above) it would make me think hard about spending the cash on RSGB membership.

ā€¦which is exactly what I explained to the GM. He was surprised that this potential membership benefit might be a deal-clincher for some.

1 Like

I am covered under my home insurance.
Spoke with my insurer, explained portable and SOTA operating and they confirmed by email ( always get it in writing lol) that I have public liability insurance for such activities include in my policy.
Also theft of and damage to radio and ancillary equipment.
So, might be worth checking with your existing insurer before spending any hard earned cash :blush:

Steve MƘVFR

2 Likes

Too right!
I joined the CTC when I was in my early 20s.
Whilst I may be approaching retirement age there are plenty of young/middle age CTC riders that would put BC members to shameā€¦

Horses for courses (or should that be on the Equestrian forum?)ā€¦
Pete

2 Likes

I haved asked my home insurance provider ā€˜Policy Expertā€™ to confirm the wording in my home insurance contract apply to SOTA:

1 Like

and the response:

Thank you for your email. This is correct you do have an element of cover for Personal Liability, all claims are dealt with on a claim to claim basis and as long as a valid claim.

They actually put our renewal premium down this year, so have stuck with them. I canā€™t recommend them, but if youā€™re in the UK they would be worth considering.

Regards, Mark.

1 Like

Direct Line have similar wording.

If you decide to go self-insured, consider the G6WRW suggestion to display Radiation Hazard signs. Even better would be Land Mine Area signs, but both would stimulate lots of queries and distraction from working down the pile-ups on 20m. Might even bring the military. If so, acquire a foreign accent and say No Speaka Da English.

Elliott, K6EL

1 Like

Has there ever been a case of this happening? Seems like pretty long odds to me. I tend to suspect that writing a write-up of a summit activation that encourages a less-than-capable mountaineer into a situation they canā€™t handle to be the more likely liability. That thought has crossed my mind.

Another country heard from
73 Eric KG6MZS

1 Like

I asked my insurers today and they have confirmed that I am covered. I gave the example of a member of the public tripping over a guy rope and they confirmed that such an incident was covered. I guess it may also cover people tripping over your tent guy ropes when on a camping holiday. A good result all round. :grinning:

1 Like