Public Liability Insurance

I noted a photo a short while ago in “another place” on the internet of a large mast and antenna being used for SOTA. My own tend to be rather puny in comparison, but even so I’ve managed to hit myself on the head with it on a couple of occasions.

Does anyone out there know of a cheapish, but comprehensive public liability insurance policy for operating portable with temporary antennas, their supports and associated wires, batteries and transceivers? I do not want theft or damage cover, just the public liability piece. I am aware that I may not be able to unbundle that and I am equally aware that “cheap” and “comprehensive” also often don’t go together well in the insurance world.

This is aimed at the UK mostly.

Is anyone aware of a third party injury/claim against a SOTA operator since the programme began?

1 Like

Snowcard maybe able to help with this.

They will pretty much draft up a policy for most situations involving mountains or outdoor pursuits. You are right though if someone trips over a mast / antenna etc and dies as a consequence then its pretty much the end of your life as you know it.

1 Like

It isn’t dying that is the problem; it’s usually NOT dying that is the expensive result.

I thought most domestic policies covered public liability for most activity that does not involve placing another party in deliberate potentially dangerous situations - eg team sport.

Rod

2 Likes

Exactly, not something you want to dwell on too often. Manslaughter could be a far worse punishment than a financial one though. :frowning:

I use Intasure for both the radio kit and £2 million public liability and you can increase this to £5 million. It costs me £210 per annum. So if you just wanted PL you could only insure the kit for a nominal amount. The £2 million PL costs £75 /annum.

I think that its only for RSGB members. But business being what it is I expect that if you spoke to them they would probably accept non members.

For what it’s worth they are @ http://www.intasure.com/

Peter
G1FOA

1 Like

Hmmm, that’s got me thinking. I have an existing annual travel insurance policy. I’ll speak to them. Thanks for the ideas folks.

1 Like

FWIW, I am insured with Arista Insurance (one of the companies which was RSGB recommended). The cover was arranged through Southwest Broking Ltd in Bristol. It costs me £118 per annum including all fees and taxes. This insures the radio kit anywhere in the UK, including the home installation, and includes £2 million Public Liability insurance (can be increased to £5m). However it is not much good for any damage to antennas, because they are subject to an excess of £250!

Details can be found here:

http://www.southwestbroking.co.uk/amateur-radio-insurance/

You need to read the exclusions very carefully, especially relating to “losses from unattended vehicles”.

Walt (G3NYY)

There have been around 150,000 activations without reported incident. I would have thought that unless your way of operating is unusually hazardous, the risk of injury to others from a typical SOTA set up is very low indeed.

It’s a personal choice but I won’t be taking out insurance for operating in the UK.

6 Likes

The choice is yours, Rich. However, it’s surprising how easy it is for a completely unexpected incident to occur and catch one unawares. Especially when you have kit on the ground for a few moments whilst setting up, and someone comes along and rides over it on a bike!

Walt (G3NYY)

…there speaks an insurance salesman. They saw you coming Walt.

Have you taken out the extra “meteorite” cover?.

5 Likes

I have today written the the General Manager of the RSGB suggesting that they consider introducing public liability insurance for portable operating as a membership benefit. It will be interesting to see if he is any more inclined to reply than the previous rogue.

Other members may wish to write too?

gm.dept@rsgb.org.uk

5 Likes

That would make me join… I am a member of the Cyclists Touring Club for many reasons, but one of the top ones is third party insurance. Clearly there is a much higher third party risk in cycling than when operating a portable amateur radio station, but knowing my luck…

It actually happened to me last year. Perhaps it was an insurance salesman riding the bike! He got my aerial tangled up with his pedals and his feet.
:frowning:
Walt

1 Like

Perhaps a useful addition to the SOTA shop would be some Beware Wet Floor plastic signs, re-branded with SOTA logos and Beware Aerial Wires wordng. Carry two of those to every summit - problem solved. :smile:

2 Likes

But what if one of those signs fell and injured someone? I have often fallen over those yellow “danger wet floor” signs that are carelessly placed right where you want to walk.

1 Like

Don’t forget your “radiation hazard” signs

2 Likes

Such insurance cover already exists at no extra charge for RSGB Affiliated Societies.

http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/gb2rs/2014/07/10/important-notice-affiliated-club-insurance/

Walt (G3NYY)

I realise that Walt but it’s not quite what we are discussing here.

1 Like

On the contrary, Rich, it may be exactly what we are discussing here.

If you have a look at the Affiliated Societies insurance policy document, it states:

“Insurers will indemnify you in respect of your legal liability to pay compensation and claimants’ costs in respect of death, injury, illness or disease sustained by third parties arising out of the activities of chair persons, committee members and members of clubs, societies and groups affiliated to the Radio Society of Great Britain.”

It does not say anywhere that the activity needs to be one organised by the Affiliated Society.

I am a member of two societies that are affiliated to the RSGB.

Walt (G3NYY)

1 Like

It looks like GQRP is an affiliated organisation so their members benefit from the RSGB insurance.

1 Like