Powerpole to USB adaptor?

I have one of these mounted in my POTA battery box, but no reason you couldn’t adapt it to PowerPoles.

2 Likes

The @G4AZS solution worked perfectly btw. Powerpole Y-cable + Powerpole-to-cigar lighter socket + cigar lighter triple USB socket. Got the two PP bits from MLS, already had a car USB gizmo.

Thank you.

2 Likes

My tablet only has a single micro USB socket for either data transfer or recharging.

Now wondering if putting a Y-cable in there would allow me to keep it charged up while simultaneously using it for running Datamodes?

Pretty sure you can buy a cable to separate power from the data of the shelf, not sure your exact tablet but I think you said Acer windows - assuming it’s micro usb something like this:

Female to Micro USB Male and Micro 5 Pin Female Adapter Host Charging Converter(Micro Male Straight) Amazon.co.uk

There are loads on amazon with different combinations but it’s a common issue when the load draws more power than the tablet or phone will provide (some usb headphone day/amps have the same issue.)

If you have an iPad your stuck with the Apple usb3 to lightening adapter that has a lightening for charge as well as standard usb-a for data.

1 Like

Is it a USB-OTG (USB On-the-go) port? If so I think you probably need an accessory charging adapter:

I’m not aware of any other standard than OTG which allows the same Micro-USB port to be used for both charging and connection of peripherals (though the manufacturer might have done something proprietary).

Martyn

Yes Martyn. Charging over USB is terribly complex and I’m fairly sure the USB in a tablet will need to see the ACA handshake signals to allow it to charge up itself whilst controlling some kind of device at the same time.

So it’s an old thread, but I’ve been looking for the same thing. I came across this from what seems to be a defunct company (that still takes orders). I am looking for someone who makes something of the same style…someone else has to be making the same thing somewhere , right? But who??

Just to add to be clear—the company is likely out of business and dosent answer phones or email, so I would NOT place an order.

I like the form factor, pass thru, and the 3amps I need to guarantee raspberry pi reliability…

Tom, N2YTF

2 Likes

Also from Hardened Power Systems:
I have used one of these when needed. Worked well.

1 Like

When did you order? Do you think they are still in business?

Tom, N2YTF

Hi Tom,
As far as I know they still are. A man named Bill runs the place. I would just call them and see when they might be available again. I have aquired many products from Hardened Power over the years and have been very happy with them and their service.
That little USB widgit has proven itself handy quite a few times.
Good luck!

Just as an update, I did place an order and they did take my money, but I was never ever to contact the company via email or phone or otherwise. I believe the guy named Bill is a silent key.

I lodged a complaint with PayPal, and I told them I thought Bill had passed. PayPal apparently also tried to reach Bill and was unable to, so PayPal returned my money to me.

So the search continues!

Tom, N2YTF

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, Tom.
I hope another way ahead presents itself soon.
Good luck!

-KKE

Adapters come in all shapes and sizes…

I have realized my adapter from Powerpole to USB with an old USB charging plug for cars. OK - there the input voltage bandwidth is lower.

otherwise I have found this on the quick:

73 Armin

3 Likes

Here is a small, light weight, capable and affordable option, I recently stumbled across:
LogiLink PA0252
It outputs 5V/3A but also 9V and 12V via QC (USB-A) and power delivery (USB-C). Both outputs can be used at the same time to quickly charge two devices. The case is metal.

It can be opened by unscrewing the plastic cap of the cigarette lighter connector to hack in a fixed supply line:

My new /P charger :grinning:
Weights just 45g.

73 and happy charging!

5 Likes

I’ve charged phone’s and power bank’s using a dedicated USB solar panel.
You can charge while you hike by hanging the panel on your backpack.
If you want to try the panel you are more than welcome.

2 Likes

New update to this thread:
I just ordered and got 3 of the powerpole/USB adapters from Hardened Power Systems.
Get 'em while they last!

I’ve bought these over the years, as well as a Rig Runner 8 port with USB.

This is bare wire to USB-C, 5v 3a 15w: Sorry! Something went wrong!
This is bare wire to USB A 18W (5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A) Device output without fast charging protocol: DC 5V 3A 15W, Sorry! Something went wrong!

1 Like

Thanks for posting where to get those elusive “something went wrong” items :slight_smile:

OK seriously, can you check your links so we can see what you bought. Maybe the link you posted depends on you being logged into Amazon or whatever.

2 Likes

It’s this @MM0FMF : Amazon.co.uk

It’s best feature is the name: Shlong :joy:

“My, thats a powerful Shlong you have there!”

3 Likes

I don’t know why it says that, the links do work though if you click on them.

1 Like