Powerpole to USB adaptor?

I’m planning some longer activations in which FT4/FT8 will be involved. My Acer tablet only lasts for 2-3 hours before needing recharging. This is fine for virtually all SOTA activations, but not for any potentially longer ones. I’d also like to be able to recharge my iPhone too.

In days gone by, SOTAbeams used to do a product called a “PhonePole” which was a DC power distribution with 4 Anderson Powerpole connectors plus a USB socket. This was perfect, but I accidentally killed it in Sark a couple of years ago.

So I’m thinking of getting the Powerpole 4-way from SOTAbeams:

…and then looking for a Powerpole-to-USB adaptor cable. Something like this:

This would be perfect - IF it would work with both an iPhone AND an Acer Windows 10 tablet - I’m not certain about that. Also, with this particular product, adding on the shipping cost and the import tax virtually trebles the price.

Has anyone any tips for a UK-supplied product that would suit my needs? I’ve yet to find one.

2 Likes

I don’t see a USB socket…?

You add one yourself.

1 Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-to-5V-Buck-Converter-Power-Supply-Module-Dual-USB-Charger-3A/122627153454

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-DC-6-35V-to-5V-3A-Double-USB-Converter-Voltage-Step-Down-Regulator-Module/274343831001

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-To-5V-5A-Step-Down-4-Port-USB-DC-Power-Supply-Module-Tablets-Mobile-Charger/324091658791

2 Likes

Would a power bank fit the bill ?
Most have 2 usb outputs .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=powerbank+with+usb&adgrpid=70893999725&gclid=CjwKCAjwjLD4BRAiEiwAg5NBFuCt4qAjYwrC-Glh5Te72sQyxDdwK6l5hDIjM0GVtrMbdUjP22qKthoCTo8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=359305087636&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046490&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4975856759153837658&hvtargid=kwd-356442018690&hydadcr=4179_1794989&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_5qyfr1xl0e_b

Plenty of items like this on Ebay / Amazon.
Could you just add the powerpoles and connect to your standard SOTA battery pack?

Motorcycle 2.4A Dual USB Charger

2 Likes

I built one ages ago which works fine but of course its in the UK and I’m in the US. Used some cheapo Chinese 12v to 5v converter board from AMZ.

I just bought this for my current “do SOTA in a heatwave” tour of the California deserts peaks.

1 Like

West Mountain Radio will have a new RIGrunner 4004 in September. http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4004_c

73, Hans PB2T

2 Likes

That looks perfect - similar to the discontinued SOTAbeams Phonepole.

Perhaps not the cheapest solution, but probably the neatest.

I’ll see how I get on for the next 6 weeks with a powerbank. I know Jimmy @m0hgy has some of these, so I’ll ask to borrow something for my activating trip in the first week of August. (Have any of yours got two USB sockets Jim?)

I also built one myself, and it’s noise-free (no switching converter).
I described it here:

Mine only gives 5V at 1A, but there exist higher current linear regulators.
One of the PP outputs has an ON/OFF switch, I use it for a small fan, to keep my KX3 (or me!) cool.

Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

It should be easily fixable. It only contains one active component! But it can only deliver around 800mA before the output voltage starts to sag (at least that’s what I measured on mine). Even at that current it gets quite hot.

Converters with a higher current rating are likely to have switching regulators of some kind, which may cause a QRM problem.

What current do you need? You can work out from that how much power a linear regulator would need to dissipate, and hence how big a heat sink it would need.

Martyn

Rigrunner 4004U is £69 used at an emporium in Barnsley.

Does he have one though as the advert in the US says “The estimated release date is September 1, 2020” ?

And even though it’s in a nice box etc, £69 for 4 powerpoles and dual USB is bordering on Dick Turpin territory.

That is most likely the old version with 1 Amp fuse. It’s good for a phone but not for a tablet.

Says 2 in stock.
or you could buy new @ £109.95 if you really need one. (from the emporium down south & son).

the spec says “Each fuse has a blown LED” I would hope they replace them FOC.

2 Likes

Tom , have you looked inside the broken one to see if it’s something simple like a cracked solder joint / broken track?

1 Like

Another aproach would be to use a “cigarette lighter” socket, and a matching “cigarette lighter” USB charger, both of which could be bought for well under £10 - you probably already have at least one of the USB adaptors anyway.
It doesn’t fully answer your original question, as you would still have to arange an extra Powerpole connection, and perhaps do a bit of crimping / soldering, but I mention it in case it helps. I made up a rather bodgy “Y” cable with PP connectors for when I need two battery connections.

7 Likes

I think I binned the broken one a while back. I really did zap it. Managed to connect it to the battery with polarity reversed, with a big pop and smoke resulting!

ISTR the version I had was good for Android but not for iPhone. Can’t remember why (maybe because it was actually iPad that was mentioned).

Anyway, I’m very much liking Adrian @G4AZS’s workaround. I could use that in conjunction with the current SOTABEAMS PP distribution box linked above. This would be to charge up an iPhone 7 Plus and an Acer Windows 10 8” tablet. Anyone any comments as to whether that will work?

*Or I think I might have a PP Y cable somewhere…

I guess I need to check some parameters. I’m currently sat in my car at the Cat & Fiddle waiting for sufficient strength to return, after a 15km circular walk taking in Shutlingsloe at the other end. I was hoping to do G/SP-004 at the end of the route, but insufficient energy remained. The walk started with the bonus of being able to walk into the Cat & Fiddle and buy food & drink. OK it was only a pie, bag of crisps and can of fizzy coffee (yes, really), and take away only - but still positive, as this establishment has had its doors closed for far too long (from years before any mention of lockdown).

The iPhone expects some sort of resistance or signal, I have a solar panel that has two outputs one is labelled for Apple.

I find a small power bank (usually 3*18650 inside) are enough for a tablet and phone and not to heavy, also separates the supply capacity from the radio.

G4AZS’s idea is a good one as well, maybe take one apart and solder direct fly lead?

I have a small 3 panel solar panel that unfolds and will do 1.5A into a tablet or phone, but in the UK a battery solution may be better if it’s not that 1 sunny day?! :joy:

2 Likes