This was my first SOTA activation.
W7W/SO-073 Rock Candy Mountain.
I made 7 S2S contacts. 48 total Qs from the summit.
The weather was a challenge. My hill was pretty exposed to the prevailing wind. 20+mph wind, hail, sleet, slush and heavy rain. It was difficult to keep stuff dry.
My coax gave out in the middle of a 20M pile up. Cheap crimped cable, bad solder joint on the center conductor.
I did a bit on CW, but I have metal paddles, (the notorious EBay Steam Punk looking ones) and it was biting with RF. Holding metal paddles while wet just didn’t work out. In retrospect, I could have turned the power down. I need to sort that out. It could have been that my coax was failing. It was so noisy from the wind, I was having a hard time hearing the CW anyway.
I used my FT-991A and a 1212A Bioenno LiFePo4 battery. Chameleon Encomm II antenna. The trees are short, but managed to have it about 15 Feet up. Certainly not ultra light set up, but not too bad to pack.
My Samsung tablet was too wet to use for logging, so I logged on a soggy map with a pencil. Next time I’ll be better prepared with a write in the rain notebook.
The hill was a drive up, but trees had recently come down, (I mentioned that it was windy), so it was a hike in but only about half a mile. I checked out the location last week and the road was fine, and there was cell service. This time, no cell service and the road was blocked. It took a while to get SOTA spotted, but did eventually thank Danny, K7SS in Seattle.
Still fun, possibly some type 2 fun. I was up for about 3 hours before heading down to the truck.
Everything is now dried out well, nothing damaged that isn’t fixed now. New plug on the coax.