Phonetic Alphabet, Sucks

In very marginal contacts in the UKACs, my Echo sometimes gets mistaken as Tango, and my Yankee is sometimes misheard as Japan.

England and Yokohama usually overcome the problem, but I tend to stick to the correct phonetics otherwise.

Mickey, I’d be VERY careful if I were you. If you REALLY are advocating the use of alternative phonetics, then you need to be aware of the amount of times you identify as 2E0TYP!

Tom M1EYP

Hi

I’ve often found that in marginal conditions
my Juliett is confused with Zulu. England
London Japan usually clarifies things!

Kind regards

Dave

In reply to MM0FMF:

If people regularly hear “charlie” or “delta” when you say “golf” then
that would suggest you’re not saying it properly.

I wonder how DB7MM could be misheard as DB7MA several times in the recent WAE DX Contest.

In reply to AX3AFW:

I admit to abandoning the standard if the other op fails to read my
call after two attempts and use something for his area if I can -
Europe gets Amsterdam Florence (or France) Warsaw the US gets America
Florida Washington.

So do I. Only if several attempts of Delta Bravo 7 Mike Mike fail, I switch over to Mexico, Mexico for the suffix. Denmark, Baltimore is only necessary in very rare cases.
Otherwise I stick to the NATO-alphabet as required by Radio Regulations. In fact this is the only one allowed officially.

BTW: I share the fun of spelling my name with 2E0YYY. “Name is Mike like Mike, India,…”

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

< Replace Sierra with Sugar…

Santiago surely Mike. :slight_smile:

X is probably worse than E - not much you can do about that other than
put some emphasis on the word X-ray. Xanadu is not an alternative. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

xonophobe - fear of foregners theres an alternative
when in my call i quote oscer thay come back with xray sounds nothing like it
DE:MW3PZO sean

I wonder if that’s why several people think my name is Mike? “My name is Tom - Tango Oscar Mike”. Mike is often troublesome. (Interpret that however you like). Old-timers often insist on hearing it as Golf, when stated as my prefix. Mexico provides assistance.

M is also a nuisance prefix on CW, especially when it is followed by an unusual number like 1. It can be difficult to persuade South American or Caribbean DX stations that they have heard M1 and not W1.

Tom M1EYP

There is another phonetic alphabet I have heard, often attributed to soldiers during the Great War. It would be fun to try it out during a contest, as it is probably the very antithesis of the intent of such an alphabet. I cannot recall all of the meanings, but a few will show what I mean -

A fer 'orses
C fer miles
F fer vescence
Q fer hours
R fer pint
T fer two

Can anybody fill in the missing letters?

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to M1EYP:

Change Mike to Mexico and it’s recognised instantly.

Working a weak station using a 2E0 prefix at best, can be extremely trying.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

There’s a solution available for that problem - get a nice new M0???

Victor

GI4ONL

In reply to GI4ONL:

There’s a solution available for that problem - get a nice new M0???

and have another ‘Mike’ to contend with :slight_smile:

Karen
2E0XYL

In reply to G3VQO:

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/alphabet

In reply to M1EYP:

Not Cockney. It was (Liverpool born) comedian Arthur Askey’s routine.

Ay-thang-yaw…

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

No, or possibly also, this is the phonetics used by the Desert Rats in North Africa. The story as told to me by one of them many years ago in the pub (of course!) is that their simple crystal controlled radios had the same channels as used by the Germans, so everything they said was overheard and spurious messages could be received. Using this phonetic alphabet they succeeded in keeping their unwanted listeners confused! They also frequently changed between alternatives to stop the enemy from catching on, and I seem to remember that some of the alternatives were rather more vulgar than those quoted…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MW3PZO:

Hi Sean,

Xenophobia - the fear of people who are different from one’s self. I’ve always pronounced that with a Z… maybe that’s just being from Nottinum. Wonder how they pronoun it in Issix.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

When I was in Cyprus Zulu Charlie Four Echo Echo caused some people difficulties on ssb. The zulu was mistaken for zero even though that didn’t make sense. My favourite combination of Zanzibar Canada Four England England seemed to work well, though it probably made a lot of purists cringe!

Nick G4OOE

In reply to 2E0YYY:

One more note on the topic most operators do not know: NATO alphabet should not be pronounced in English but in a defined way. This helps multiple nations understand it properly, one example is OSCAR which should be pronounced like “oh-scar” instead of “asker”. Just look it up on wikipedia.

In reply to OK1BIL:

…That’s it!

…listening to and working lot’s of pile-ups, my experience is, that a mix of different alphabets is more confusing than helpful.

From my SOTA-activators side, there is one special station in my mind:
Don, G0RQL - listen to him - slowly and well pronounced he breakes every pile-up - hi.

73 de Chris

In reply to G3VQO:

B for mutton / the beginning of time
D for hard of hearing
I for the engine
K for restaurant
L for leather?
O for idiot
y for mistress

The best one I heard as an SWL in the 60’s was 9K2CC - nine kittens, two cool cats.

Mike GM0OAA

In reply to G3VQO:
Bfer mutton
Cfer yerself
Dferential
Effervescence
Iferget
Mfersize
Ofergoodnesssake
etc

In reply to G3VQO:

There is another phonetic alphabet I have heard, often attributed to
soldiers during the Great War. It would be fun to try it out during a
contest, as it is probably the very antithesis of the intent of such
an alphabet. I cannot recall all of the meanings, but a few will show
what I mean -

A fer 'orses
C fer miles
F fer vescence
Q fer hours
R fer pint
T fer two

Can anybody fill in the missing letters?

73 de Les, G3V

L fer leather
O fer the wings of a dove

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to MW3PZO:

Hi Sean,

Xenophobia - the fear of people who are different from one’s self.
I’ve always pronounced that with a Z… maybe that’s just being
from Nottinum. Wonder how they pronoun it in Issix.

73, Gerald G4OIG
i wouldn’t know gerald i’m from maccesfield n chesher, nice one on the spelling its better than some of the posts lol.
best 73s sean