/P vs S2S to try to drag activator's attention in the pileup for a S2S QSO.

I wrote the following post in David’s G0EVV A cunning Covid plan activator report thread, but I think this subject deserves its own thread to make sure everyone are aware of this issue, so any comments, opinions and preferences can be posted and discussed here.

American CW activators quickly respond to a S2S sent on the frequency, but I have often experienced that European CW activators don’t and they react better to a /P being sent rather than a S2S.
I think S2S is the fairest and a much more accurate way to call for a S2S QSO.
What do you think?

Guru

4 Likes

I just listen for the /P on the call. Not quite sure why S2S is fairer than /P/

Just because not all chasers calling /P are on SOTA, so not all calls ending in /P are for S2S QSOs, while all the S2S calls are indeed for S2S QSO.

4 Likes

I had a GMA activator call me sending S2S so I don’t think your argument is valid.

Yes, I know what you mean. I also had a QSO a few days ago with an operator in a GMA summit and he said TNX S2S at the end of our QSO. It’s true that both of us were on a summit and S2S can be described as Summit to Summit, which is what it’s actually said on phone, but for the SOTA program S2S means SOTA to SOTA, rather than any summit to any summit, so, when working SOTA, I think sending S2S on CW for a SOTA to SOTA QSO is fairer than sending /P to just break the pile up and then resulting in not being in a SOTA activation.

Good idea Guru. Makes sense too. It is S2S from now on, for me.

2 Likes

Then why is it called the “summit to summit roll of honour” in the database?
I feel more comfortable using /P.

1 Like

So it’s indeed called, but within the SOTA programme, we all know this means SOTA summit to SOTA summit and my point is to avoid confusing any summit with SOTA summit.

1 Like

Hi Guru,
In VK “Summit to Summit” gets attention on SSB. On CW there is a mix of /P and S2S.
Hope you are staying well.
Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Yes, Guru´s argument is valid. The use of /P is general and very wide. And we don´t know if the /P is calling from a paradisiac island, park or cycling in the middle of nowhere.
For this reason if the other activator wants to do a S2S QSO in the begenning, middle or end of the QSO should send S2S.

2 Likes

My only concern is that with my hamfisted CW I might suddenly find a rescue helicopter above my head because I left two dits out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

I agree with Paul. I believe that “/P” sent using CW more than once when activating a summit stands out in a chaser pile up better than “S2S” so I will continue to listen and use /P myself for this purpose. In SSB it is very different and “summit to summit” repeated tends to be the accepted and effective norm.

73 Phil

Phil,
You have put your finger on the matter. callsign with /P suffix on CW seems to work best whilst on SSB, callsign plus summit to summit is often used.

Horses for courses.

Regards
David
G0EVV

1 Like

Agreed Phil, and for an experienced telegraphist, there are worlds in terms of fast sending and the perception of /p and s2s … and S2S could also be a station in Bangladesh :wink:

1 Like

If someone were trying to operate CW doing these things one would only expect them to send the /P once, same if in a caravan, tent or cottage. Same if they were on a non-SOTA HEMA or GMA, COTA, POTA whatever! But if on a summit and you are desperate for an S2S sending /P two or three times seems to cut through.

73 Phil

Its never a problem on phone! Somebody calls “summit to summit” and other chasers tend to step back for him. Its a very gentlemanly branch of ham radio!

3 Likes

And /P in Argentina is the San Juan Province.

In the case that the other side doesn´t get me I have to send many times my callsign (I suppuse that in Europe I have to add /P for this type of operation) If I only send /P (or S2S) many times without identification I´m violating the rules.
An hypothetical situation. You have the opportunity to operate some SOTAs in Buenos Aires Province (Argentina) and at the same time an activator is activating other Argentinean SOTA. You are desperate for the S2S and send /P /P /P the guy from the other SOTA will believe that you are in San Juan Province because the letter following your call sign indicates your mobile or portable location. If your operate from Baires your callsign will be LU/G4OBK/D (¨D¨ means Buenos Aires) and if you are mobile, portable or SOTA in San Juan Province your call will be LU/G4OBK/P (¨P¨ means San Juan)
As you can see / p can work fine in some places, be confusing in others and useless in anothers. But on the other hand to send s2s at the beginning, middle or end of the QSO is to give the information that I am also in another SOTA summit.
73, Takeo

1 Like

I’m never in any great rush. If I do get an S2S that’s great. If not, I will still enjoy the activation. I prioritise all portable operators myself.

3 Likes