Other Hobbies (Part 1)

I think Andy missed the word “repeat” from his list Ludwig; which may answer your question :wink:

Fraser
What guage is the model railway ? I assume its indoors?
Interesting comment about no TV - I’d have more time if it wasn’t for that box!!

For almost 30 years, amateur work in the field with dogs. Same breed - Gordon Setter.
Participation in field trails in different countries.

Also together on SOTA activations:

Participation in dog shows including Crufts:

73, Jarek

12 Likes

4mm finescale. Yes, indoors. Sectional layouts that could be dismantled to take to shows.

4 Likes

Visual astronomy (not astro photography). Particular interest in double stars.

5 Likes

Really interesting to read the other side of SOTA activities and a really great question.

Clay target disciplines of Down The Line (DTL), Automatic Ball Trap (ABT), small bore precision target rifle (prone) and small bore pistol.

Only ever had the time to concentrate on ABT International Selection, represented Ireland (Incorporating GI) in the 1990s.

Equine sports, mainly showjumping in my youth, when family came along spent many, many years supporting our wee ones in Pony Club activities and helping coach Tetrathlon and supporting the NI team at events throughout the UK.

Trumpet is the music contribution, used to play second trumpet in a local jazz band, unfortunately Ive let that one slip. November was always a busy time attending Churches and Cenotaphs with a bugle.

Part time farming and replacing bits on our Landrover 90 and DB995 now keeps me busy, as well as an odd SOTA activation.

6 Likes

Looking through my photo history, there isn’t much variation. It’s mostly pictures of antennas on mountains :sweat_smile:

However, there are a couple of other things:

• Vintage computing - this is Stephen Hawkin’s last super-computer, ubercool!

• Motorbike - sometimes combine it with SOTA

• Still snowboarding - but it’s not really an old mans sport.

• Planning on getting back on the pushbike this year to lose a few pounds (well, a lot of pounds)

• the boat needs quite a lot of TLC (new transom)

11 Likes

Last time I did any work on an SGI box was late 90’s We had SGI work stations, SGI Crimson and maybe a couple of others for CAD work on train boggies/brakes. I did have an SGI Irix at home for a while but sold it on.

2 Likes

Hi John

There produced some very cool, and useable kit! I don’t have much hardware left, a couple of VAXstations and an AlphaStation. I had an Indigo for quite a while but it kept blowing power supplies.

1 Like

They did. I was more IT support than a user of them. I did have to extract drawings from databases and export to DWG / DXF files. I only had the briefest of dabbles with AS-400 kit. Now its more Windows OS / VMWare & HP server support.

1 Like

Ah, big iron vintage Unix boxes. Or boxen to use the correct term.

I only got involved working on Bluetooth chips because I got to have my own Sun workstation and a PC on my desk. And a 21in monitor, you only got a 19in monitor if you only had a PC.

2 Likes

Aside from radio, my other hobbies are:

• Photography, mainly B&W film, but I also dabble in color and digital. I also enjoy Lo-Fi photography using old film cameras like the Kodak Brownie Hawkeye or Rollei A110.
  • Shooting sports, various clay games, target shooting, or just plain ol’ plinking.
  • Hunting, though I haven’t done much of that these last few years. I was surprised to find out how many SOTA summits were my usual hunting haunts.
  • Mountain Biking, again, not something I have pursued heavily for a bit, but this tends to ebb and flow. Been into the sport for nearly 40 years. Current rig is a fully rigid bike (hate maintaining shocks) I built up from a bare frame about 12 years ago.
  • Camping, especially hammock camping in the winter. This often coincides with SOTA.
  • Working on my '97 Toyota 4Runner 4x4. I use this to get to interesting camping, hunting, or radio locations.

I tend to focus on 1 or 2 at a time (right now it’s radio and photography), but certain others linger in the background or are seasonal (camping and hunting for example).

3 Likes

Difficult to know where to start! Take ham radio and SOTA as read. Gardening with a special interest in rhododendrons, but this merges with wildlife and botany - I have an IR photo of four badgers and my dog sharing food on the lawn after dark! Music: I play sax and clarinet, have played in amateur orchestras, theatre bands, dance bands and jazz bands, not currently active but try to maintain my skills despite some arthritic finger joints :angry:. I listen to classical music (mostly 20th century), jazz, prog and recently some metal. Astronomy, I do not have a working telescope at present but have a homebrew 15cm rich field reflector which needs re-aluminising when I get around to it, I used to make mirrors for friends, at the eyepiece my special interest is variable stars. I used to be a very keen mountaineer, also rock and winter climber; my lungs and legs aren’t up to much now but it never leaves you! This merges with geology, giving an understanding of the why of mountains. Between times I do a lot of reading…

6 Likes

I love Dishwasher Tetris.

6 Likes

I regularly game shoot although I find the uneven ground a bit problematic right now!
Otherwise it is making & sailing model boats and building/repairing full size timber boats

2 Likes

I think perhaps I’m into alliteration. I’m into:

• SOTA
  • sailing
  • cycling
  • shooting
  • sewing

and various other things. Sewing is nice (I have 3 old Pfaff machines) because I can make and/or repair my own gear. It appeals to the cheapskate in me.

Interesting to see what other SOTA folks are into!

73, Jim KK0U

8 Likes
  • SOTA
  • Motocycling
  • Amateur Radio Direction Finding
  • Radio-Sonde finding
  • Paragliding till 2017, but now again
  • RC-Modell flight
  • Camping
  • skiing
  • Photography (Aurora Borealis, Animals, Nature…)
  • Astronomy → DeepSky-Photography
  • Electronic-Programming (Arduino/Raspberry/M5Stack…)
  • LoRa WAN

it’s to much in my retirement with to little time…(HI)
73,Peter

3 Likes

I have 2 homebrew hobbies. One is designing and building my next rig for SOTA. All my HF CW SOTA activations since 2021 have been using a homebrew rig. I have 2 rigs and am working on the third. The receiver board is done (my first superhet) and I’ve started on the transmit side.

The other homebrewing is beer. I brew from grain using BIAB (brew in a bag). I have 5x20L kegs in the garage with 3 on the go at any time with one hand pump for the authentic British Real Ale experience.

In about 3 years time I hope to become MG. Then not long after that I will have enough points entirely from my homebrew rigs to be a homebrew goat. I shall brew a special brew entirely from Summit hops to celebrate.

5 Likes

Apart from SOTA, when I have time, I tend to enjoy the below:

Rallying
Landrovers
Skiing
Football

GW4BML, Ben

2 Likes

Well…where to start

4 wheeling (Jeep)
hunting
fly fishing
hiking (DUH)
rock collecting (mostly semi-precious stones)
exploring stuff:
old west mines
pioneer graveyards
Indian wars battleground sites
ghost towns
old military forts

So pretty much anything that keeps me going outdoors,

Like SOTA…

Pete
WA7JTM

3 Likes