OS Premium mapping

I have just purchased a 12 month subscription to Ordnance Survey (OS) Premium online mapping service. the normal cost is about £24 per year, but I was able to get a £10 pound discount.

The discount is only available till the 9th January.

I used a discount code of OSMAPSTEN to get the reduced price at checkout.

In 12 months I will automatically get charged the full price unless I cancel in the next 12 months.

Hurry if you want to take advantage of this offer.

3 Likes

Even full price it is a great service. Not to be trusted on a mobile phone when in the mountains but for planning at home I use it regularly.

3 Likes

I have rhe OS maps subscription. In order to conveniently download large areas of mapping, I downloaded the following routes to my phone from within the app:
A complete round of the Wainwrights
A complete route of the scottish watershed

This causes the app to cache the complete set of map tiles for the lakedistrict, and much of Scotland. I then do not have to rely on a phone signal to have mapping available

I imagine there must be an available route for a round of the Munros that would cover all Scotland.

4 Likes

Yes, whilst no substitute for a paper map, its worth noting that the OS apps allow you to store regions of the maps offline on your phone. Provided the battery doesn’t run out its still very useful to confirm you are on the right track even with no phone signal. I agree, even at the full price its well worth it.

2 Likes

Certainly is a very useful planning tool. Slightly let down by the clunky printing facility, but still good value :slight_smile:

73 Paul G4MD

2 Likes

Got my subscription a few years ago for £19.99 per year on an ongoing basis at that rate. Just hope it keeps going at that rate. Last renewed August 2021.
Jim

1 Like

I purchased it two days ago at the full rate! Oh well :rage:

Martin

1 Like

….and if you have not spotted it if you plot a route you can do a fly through of the route which - depending on the hill looks very impressive (On a PC using the same subscription)

The one downside is that it is making me lazy with navigation…it is just too easy to take the 'phone out of your pocket and leave the map and compass in the rucksack.

I tend to use Harvey 1:40k maps, so it is useful to have the OS 1:25k available for some extra detail.

The app has improved a lot over the last couple of years, and it feels like the developers are less restrictive on the area of mapping that can be downloaded…it used to be the case that large routes would refuse to download.

1 Like

I use digital mapping a different way. I purchase a complete set of GB OS 1:50,000 & 1:25,000 maps from Memory Maps. Once purchased, they are yours for life. I tend to buy a new set every 10 years, after all with the exception of new windfarm tracks and a few plantations, not much changes on the mountains.

I can hold large swathes of Scotland on my phone at any one time (off-line), create routes by tapping on the screen, or at home on a PC. I think it’s licensed for four devices.

It’s my go-to on the hill. Yes, I have a paper map with me but it rarely comes out of my bag. In opinion, this is more accurate, more likely to be checked and therefore safer.

The first set I bought was on CD in 2006 I think (pre-smartphone and worked on a PDA). I then went to the cloud version in 2018. It just works, so maybe worth exploring as an alternative.

Cheers, Fraser

2 Likes

I do the same with Anquet. However, they only do a yearly subscription now. You may find Memory Map moving to the same model as it’s all to do with how the OS licence the data now.

I need to update as my maps are 2013 vintage and there’s lots of forest changes not showing now.

1 Like

I had an email from them recently promising never to move to a subscription model. We’ll see…

There certainly are. My neighbours are timber contractors and have been flat out clear-felling for 4 years. They tell me it’s due to Brexit. At least on the ground you can still tell it was a forest by the stumps.

1 Like

HI Fraser

The subscription model is available in Platimum for £40 a year. I recently took out a subscription for the 2021 OS 25/50K mapping, but like you I have the mapping on licenced DVD. My latest set is 2015, which works with the Memory Map Version 6.

The MM app on smartphone is poor in so many ways compared to other products.

73 Phil

1 Like

That’s interesting! I’ve not compared it to anything apart from digital downloads that are given away with OS paper maps. I found the OS App clunky, and it sucked the life out of the phone battery.

What’s the best App then?

In my opinion Viewranger - but it ends in February. They went over to a subscription model 5 years but sold out their customers who were forced to move to the Outdoor Active app last year. They are a German company. I wasn’t a subscription user of Viewranger. I bought around £150-£200 worth of OS and other mapping from them before they went subscription. I just merged my data into Outdoor Active as they have given me one years subscription to their Pro+ product, so I have got all UK 25K and 50K and other maps such as the Mournes in 25K and OSNI in 50K also. First impressions are not good, but I need to learn how to use it. I think it lacks many of the the features I used on Viewranger, both on the app and via their server. I imagine the Viewranger server will be turned off in February, but because I own the VR mapping tiles I think I will be able to continue using Viewranger for the life of my Android phone, which I replaced a few months ago. I have the all the map tile areas of the UK I need on the phone itself.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Perhaps it is just me but I love maps, and usually spend some time, hours sometimes, looking at routes (playing fantasy activations?..) The OS flythrough is great for entertainment (Flythrough G/LD-001 - YouTube)- and the route plotting gives a usually for me is slightly optamistic timing…). I will often work out the route for other peoples activations - hopefully to try for real in the future. ( I use the OS premium mapping on the web) I usually find that by the time I arrive at the parking spot although I have a paper map and compass, and the app on a phone I often know the route so well the only point I check is after about 200m of ascent when I need a break! I wonder if there are other apps that do the same? 73 Paul

1 Like

You can’t take Harveys Maps out to the hills!!! They are too beautiful! :slight_smile:

Martin

1 Like

A good reason for using them is the lack of markings for parish boundaries and other similar boundaries… OS maps are cluttered with such rubbish, including marked cycle paths, long distance walking routes etc etc. Harvey concentrate on showing features that are visible.

The 1:40k scale works well…most of Lakeland fits on one map.

2 Likes

Plus 1 for Viewranger, I’m sorry they’ve shifted to the new supplier (and annual subscription) :slightly_frowning_face:. Having said that I’ve used the planning function on outdoor active a couple of times and found it quite simple to use (though annoying when it keeps telling me I’m off-route - hasn’t it heard of an Englishman’s Right to Roam! :wink:).

I think when my free year expires I’ll compare their offering with the OS version.

2 Likes

I only use the free Oruxmaps and OSM mapping on phones and mainly for non-UK walks.

For the UK I have a Garmin mapping GPS. I bought a second hand one as a spare and it came with a load of topo maps on an SDcard, which was nice. That mapping has contours and roads, rivers etc. Problem is not detail on maps but my ageing eyes and a small LCD.

For walking, I use old Anquet and print maps at double size so I can read without glasses. I like to have an A4 map or two so I can see the whole area not just a zoomed out view lacking info. I tend to now print 1;25k versions at 1:12.5k so I can read them. Routes are drawn on the PC and then the GPX for the route transferred to the GPS.

However, the map data is quite old and I will move to the subscription Anquet simply because I have used their tools for a while and another walker I know uses it. Cheap subscription is £24/yr for 1:25k and 1:50k HD maps of UK with mapping data that can be download to iOS and Android. But PC version needs an internet connection to work. Not really a problem. But for £12 more you can have a version that lets you download everything to the PC. I’m not sure if the full offline version is worth it. ISTR that you can actually download a chunk of maps on the PC version, just not the whole country. If you were looking at hills around Edinburgh, the data is cached and doesn’t pull any more data until you go and look at data around say Inverness when it pulls a fresh chunk of data and throws away the old cache. Not an issue with a fast connection.

The only annoying thing is that there is no Linux version. My Linux laptop has a lot more oomph than my Win10 tablet… maybe run the Android version on a VM on the laptop but that will mean simulating an ARM core or two. Nothing is ever easy.

1 Like