OS Premium mapping

I use MMTracker on my smartphone (no longer on the Android market, but APK file is around on various forums on the internet) this reads the old style OS maps and on my tablet I use the paid for version of Alpine Quest which will read the older style memory map files. All available off line and maps stored on my phone/tablet.

No that’s exactly where they should be! :wink: The 1:40k scale and style was devised back in the days of the Karrimor Mountain Marathons as offering the perfect balance of area coverage and detail.

2 Likes

Hope you are right… I’m in exactly the same position.

Same initial opinions of Outdoor Active, a very poor substitute. I don’t blame the Viewranger guys. I did converse with the MD a few years ago - through Mountain Rescue - a really nice chap who was super keen to offer his products free to volunteer Search and Rescue. They have worked very hard and got offered a big pile of cash to sell the business. Probably set them up for life now. I’d do the same!

3 Likes

Go back even further than that… Robin and Sue Harvey have their roots in Orienteering.

I met Sue at a National Navigation Awards Scheme www.nnas.org.uk providers day at Cannock Chase about 15 years ago. So enthusiastic about mapping and Orienteering.

Some info on them

I’m a big fan of their mapping too. My first use of one of their maps was their Skye Cullin sheet. It has a massively detailed 1:12500 map of the main Black Cullin ridge. Wish I’d had that in the 80’s when I did my full traverse and got a “bit mislaid” a few times with all the twists and turns.

2 Likes

I’ve been using it for years. I do my planning on it, utilising the aerial photos to give some idea of the terrain and the fly through. I then download route and map to my phone. My main GPS is the Satmap Active 20 so I export the route as a GPX from OS Maps and upload it to my GPS using their, not that great, Xpedition2 site. I have full UK OS Mapping on the GPS. I was also printing the map of the area, most of my walks fit on to an A4 sheet at 1:25k. On the flip side I would then print a 1:50k. Unfortunately I found that the map, despite selecting the correct options, does not print correctly to scale. I took this up with OS who admitted they were aware of it and recommended I use the older ‘OS Maps Classic’ option found at the bottom of the menu. I did so and printed only to find that it still printed the map slightly out of scale.

1 Like