Old school log sheet

Thanks for the link, Konrad.

I just did a search on military supplies in Google and I was taken to the Polish shop as the first choice! The website can display in Polish, German or English and they ship to Germany.
As I want to print my own formatted sheets rather than just have a notepad, I need the A4 paper, which they have:

The problem is that because of how the waterproof paper is made it can’t be printed to on a normal PC printer, it has to be printed with a Laser printer or photocopied onto from the Inkjet-printed master template.

Thanks for the thought, but I guess I will continue to use what I have now as I no longer have a laser printer.

73 Ed.

Thanks Ed. Indeed I have used it just manually making a simple table with a pencil. I have similar to yours with the exception that do not have a column for a frequency/mode, I take a note in comments section if it is a new frequency taken.

Anyway, I use the waterproof one but honestly recently I switched back to normal paper, I’d rather make a shelter from a tarp and activate under cover for the sake of my whole equipment not just notepad. :wink: Moreover I use a HB od B pencil instead of a pen so I can write even in humid conditions, then noting is easy and I do not pay much attention of the condition of the paper

1 Like

Well, I just received the glossy 230 gram A4 photo paper and after some problems getting the paper to feed in my HP Officejet 5230 printer I have managed to print some test pages. The print is not solid though and although I can write on the paper with my write-in-the-wet pens the printed lines rub off on my fingers. This is supposed to be inkjet printable paper!

73 Ed.

Hi Ed, I’m sure you have thought of this, but the paper type (glossy or photo etc) should be set in the printer properties… maybe it is putting down too much ink otherwise…

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Just checking exactly that! Great minds …

We’ll see how this run goes!

Well the first two prints with the printer set to “high glossy” look somewhat better but still feel a little greasy, so I’ll leave them a good half hour before I try to guillotine them this time.

73 Ed.

UPDATE: that print seems a lot better - I still have the problem of the paper not feeding correctly, so I’m getting one page off an A4 sheet rather than two - but I’m guessing that’s the printer that doesn’t like the super glossy and heavyweight paper. It worked fine with the one sheet that I managed to put in upside-down (doh!). So I’ll have several prints to try now in my A5 log-book the next time I can get out to a summit.

The best printer setting is super glossy paper and draft quality.

Here’s where I got this paper from, in any case:

1 Like

Old school -

I use a biro to draw my columns in an ordinary A5 notebook and pencil/s to do the logging.
Some of the softer pencils do ‘smudge’ a bit in the damp but like a couple of you do, I use some sort of shelter in inclement weather such as rain or snow

3 Likes

An update to my earlier post to confirm these “high-glossy” sheets do work on a summit in the “damp”. The write in the wet pens work fine on the glossy surface and don’t “smudge-off”. Now I just need to try them in a real downpour, or as seems likely this week, at sub-zero temperatures. So far however all seems to work and this computer paper that is meant for printing photographs is many times cheaper than the special “Rite in the Rain” or Zecom paper.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Ed
OK so you’ve solved the logging problem with pen/pencil & paper. What do you do to stop your radio getting wet when it is raining? :wink:

1 Like

I use this old school thing call a “plastic bag”. In my case I use a plastic bag made from bubblewrap and that also acts as padding to protect the radio when I’m carrying in the rucksack.

If it rains I put the radio in the bag and sort of close the opening. It works well enough to protect the radio till I decide enough is enough and go home.

YMMV

1 Like

The rig, amplifier, interface and battery box are all inside the rucksack. Only the remote display is outside

• which is a problem as smart phones don’t work well with rain water on their displays!

You solve one problem you find another …

73 Ed.

1 Like

Ed - which is why I have a little bothy bag to sit in if its raining!! :smiley:

Dave

1 Like

I use the ARRL minilog…perfect for portable operation

1 Like