OK2BDF - Jirka’s Activities

Jirka on OK/JM-008
7 Mhz

10 MHz

Very good Roger F5LKW! I missed Jirka’s data activity on 7 and 10 MHz as I was doing an assessment of the HF spectrum around my QTH from 0930-1130z looking at VDSL interference, so when I finished doing that I looked at SOTAWatch to see who was about.

Then I saw your message! Jirka OK2BDF was still on 20m FT8 then but the 1 KHz offset threw me. Sure enough though, and thanks to Lars SA4BLM (Thanks Lars) highlighting that Jirka was indeed +2000Hz of 14075 and not 14074 I found him working and got him into my logbook. With the Flavours challenge restarting tomorrow with DATA for one week I imagine Jirka was checking out his equipment so he is ready for it.

73 Phil

Hi Phil @G4OBK
(clearly out off topic sorry)
What was the result and how you make it ? :wink:
73 Éric

1 Like

Still assessing Eric. I have to learn how to interpret the graphs produced from the RSGB Lelantos software which are based on wideband spectrum plots. It is plain to see that I do suffer from a degree of wideband interference from VDSL, but as phone lines in the near field are underground I don’t suffer quite so badly as some, where houses are on overhead phone wires nearer to the amateurs aerials. I am using an SDR RSP1A receiver and my normal station antennas to capture the information in 2 MHz slices over a duration of less than one second.

The report will be sent to our regulator OFCOM, along with 100s more from others I guess. The RSGB are appealing for all members to undertake these tests to strengthen their argument with OFCOM / BT/Open Reach (the mainprovider of VDSL) against VDSL obliterating some short wave reception in the domestic environment. In the UK the equipment sends data down copper phone lines from LF right up to around 18 MHz without any notching of signals over the amateur bands

73 Phil .

1 Like

This is a very good initiative of the RSGB ! I hope it will lead to something concrete !
73 Éric

1 Like

OK2BDF/P OK/JM-061 today
1st call :slight_smile: thanks Jirka

73 Éric

1 Like

Thank you Jirka for SOTA OK/JM-061.

1 Like

Roger… Dohhh… Missed Jirka, I was cooking and eating the dinner I was. Drat, Double drat!!

73 Phil

1 Like

Jirka is still qrv now! Worked him minutes ago! Good signal also in England.

2 Likes

Checking now Mirko, TNX!

Yes, seeing him…
I had to turn the wick up to log Jirka! Thanks again for tip off Mirko

Phil

3 Likes

Jirka on OK/JM-020 now !

Jirka is on 30 meters now

Jirka on OK/JM-065, working 80 meters

OK2BDF/P OK/JM-062 40M

73 Éric

1 Like

Jirka on OK/JM-062 - 40 meters

Hi Phil (O/T sorry Roger!)

I saw the RadCom article about VDSL and did a manual sweep with my FT817. I didn’t come to any conclusions. I have S8 throughout HF, no guard bands are in evidence. I do have a BT pole within feet of the shack though. I guess if anyone was to suffer VDSL interference, it should be me…

73, Colin

1 Like

At my old QTH I got the other kind of VDSL interference, the training spikes every 4kHz or so that would spring up every time I hit TX. The offending junction box, which was fed entirely by underground cables, was on the street right outside my house, and the training spikes were inevitably S9+++ so QRP CW stations within about 100 Hz of a spike would become inaudible unless I could get the narrow filters just right. I did get the broadband hash as well, and reported those back to the RSGB when they did their survey a few years back. I’ve not done a systematic noise survey across HF here at my new QTH yet, but even though the inbound phone lines are all overhead I don’t get the re-training spike problem here, which makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Jirka on OK/JM-019,

Phil
Jirka doesn’t give up

Jirka on OK/JM-064

1 Like