Ofcom consultation (Part 2)

You are correct Rick. The SOTA MT intends to follow the same principle as RSGB contest committee in that the RSL rules in force on 20th Feb 2024 must be followed until further notice.

We’ve been busy with other things in the background in the UK and forgot to publish notice of this before hand.

So RSLs: (blank),M,W,D,I,J,U for personal calls and X,S,C,T,N,H,P for clubs calls must still be used. We’ll get the rules for UK updated and I’ll put a sticky note up.

3 Likes

What about E and the occasional special ones such as R and Q?

1 Like

As stated

1 Like

I think you are saying we can’t use E (except for a 2 prefix). But why not since it makes clear the station is in England?
Previously R and Q needed a NoV but won’t in the future. So will they be allowed?

1 Like

Easily done if you tap into a wind turbine.

4 Likes

“Well Stanley that’s another fine mess you got us into”
Typical goverment run dept **** up

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

We ran 1kw transmitters on HF on my 1st ship. Mind you that was QRP compared to the 7KW we had when I was operating ship / shore CW HF at Gibraltar Radio/GYU. :laughing:

Now i’ve got 20w :rofl:

2 Likes

Actually 25W. I’m allowed to use 1kW on some bands - I still only use 5W.

3 Likes

Thanks I’ve not studied the changes in full.

But in so far as SOTA is concerned non of my kit does more than 5w anyway.

If I turn up my home Ten-Tec argosy to 25 w it’ll probably melt my aerial!!

4 Likes

Overnight I received 3 emails from Ofcom varying my foundation, intermediate and full licences.
The changes I can see on the actual licence are:

• I “can” use a RSL
  • There is no requirement to keep the licence at the main station location
  • The licence conditions are as per booklet OFW611, not part 2 of the licence (i.e. I can now use the higher power levels)

However this suggests I can still use all three call signs and that the lower level call signs are not revoked yet :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah, And “G” sounds so much better than “M” in Morse. I got my Class A callsign whilst living in Scotland and I would struggle to stay awake sending “MM0…” - Oh for a dot! It’s why I’ve stuck with my older callsign - and hoping Ofcom will give me the choice come their time-and-money-wasting callsign rationalization.

Andy G8CPZ / M0ALC

3 Likes

The rationalisation is so they don’t run out of calls. Reap all the old ones for re-issue and stamps out callsign prefix snobbery too. Anyway you can solve the problem now, login and cancel M0ALC yourself. Then when the licence reaper calls they’ll find you with a single Full licence and will move to the next person. Simples!

3 Likes

It’s not a problem (yet). I’ve spent too many years paying the renewal fee for both licenses to want to surrender one of them voluntarily and prematurely. Since both my licenses are ‘full’ I assume - when forced to surrender one - that Ofcom will give me the choice (as they shouldn’t care which).

BTW: what callsign prefix snobbery?

2 Likes

For the last 18 years that has been precisely zero.

Clearly G4 is superior to G8 and M0.

5 Likes

In the past on this reflector I expressed the view that paying a fee for the license (even a token amount) gives the licensee a little influence on the decision-making of the licensing authority, where as now I believe it’s virtually zero. One step closer to CB user status.

1 Like

I don’t think it makes any difference. The licenCe fee was to cover the costs of administering it. With the online system the costs are much lower. There was never any “profit” to buy any influence. Amateur radio has never been a protected service.

1 Like

I never said nor implied that the fee was for profit nor that AR was a protected service. This is the second time you’ve said this, Richard, when i expressed my regret that the fee was abolished. I accept your (different) opinion but please don’t put words in my mouth. But in any client-service provider relationship the client’s influence is greater if he is paying something for the service.

3 Likes

I didn’t.

You’ve misunderstood my point.

When I said “profit” it was deliberately in quotes. I mean that there was nothing left after subtracting the administration costs so we were never paying anything for the amateur service, just the costs of administering the licence.

1 Like

Only 'coz you don’t hold a G3 like I do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quiet day on the airwaves….

1 Like