The weather was very changeable after I got back from DM/BM. I had all but given up hope of getting out on the Motorbike for a tour over the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. However, the weather has finally settled down and conditions look good for this week. I packed up my MTR3b and loaded up the KTM this morning:
The pack was very good value and sits nicely on the passenger seat. It holds everything I will need for the week ahead, the SOTA gear goes in the top box. It was predictably chilly coming over the Packsattel first thing in the morning. As soon as I got down the other side I nipped into a service station and warmed my fingers up on a cup of tea and some apple strudel. By the time I got to the campsite, it was nice and warm and the sun was shining. I have my tent with me just in case, but on seeing the static campers, I opted for some luxury and booked myself it one for 2 nights:
At only €35 a night it’s very good value. The campsite is well placed for dozens of peaks in the area:
I quickly dumped all the camping gear and headed up the Gerlitzen (OE/KT-108). The road goes all the way to the top at 1911m. The toll barriers were being repaired today, so I didn’t have to pay anything. It started to drizzle a bit as I got to the summit:
I hunted around and soon found a doorway on one of the skilifts that would provide shelter from the rain:
With my chair against the wall I was completely sheltered from the elements:
With the weather deteriorating, I decided to only call on 30m. Even though I was sheltered, I couldn’t be sure that the wind wouldn’t turn and start blowing rain all over me. Conditions on 30m were good and most stations came in strongly without too much QSB:
No DX yet, but good sigs round the EU at least. Tomorrow I will head up the Nockalmstraße to the Glockenhütte.
From there it should be possible to activate both the Schiestlnock OE/KT-339 and the
Klomnock OE/KT-050. If there is still time in the afternoon (and there should be), I will activate the Wöllaner Nock OE/KT-075. Looking forward to a productive day, better weather and hopefully more bands activated. Alert going in soon.
73 de OE6FEG