OE5JFE / JJ1FJK Japan update

Hello Atsu-san,

Thanks for your dedication and thanks for our QSO today.
I had the feeling that conditions on the band were not very good. Strong QSB and on 20m I had from 14.200 up heavy QRM from a radar station.

So I am happy that it worked.

Will we meet at the SOTA dinner or at the Tokio ham fair?

73 Joe

Hello Joe san,

Thanks for the great QSO today. I am very happy now.
Yes,the band condition on 20m was same here; heavy QRM by a radar station.
But the condition on 40m was far better than that of Tuesday though there was a heavy
QSB.

I’m afraid I can’t join the dinner nor ham fair this weekend, but I’m sure many SOTA guys will be happy having you tomorrow and the day next.
Have fun!

Very good evening!! Atsu

As Toru-san has not posted the picture yet I will share. @JH0CJH please add more details :smile:

SOTA dinner held this Saturday:

And photo session at the SOTA booth at Tokyo ham fair with Masaco (JARL Ambassador JH1CBX) and the awesome group of SOTA friends:

It was great meeting everyone.

We are just about to take a Shinkansen train towards Magome.

Here the old trade route that we will hike tomorrow:

Alert for Enasan JA/NN-053 is up for Saturday morning.
Hope for a lot of S2S and QSO with other stations.

73 de Joe

8 Likes

I want an “Unlike” button because I wasn’t able to be there :frowning:

Good to see everyone enjoying themselves!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Joe. Looked like a lot of fun!

Oh wow! I wonder if SOTA should have lava bonus points

Keep up the posts, I love them!

Short status update:

Ascent took at lot longer so I missed the S2S. So sorry.
Activation was a fail from SOTA point of view.
0 QSO on 433 and 14 MHz.

Too bad but still a good hike.

View along the ridgeline to summit Enasan:

Summit marker:

View during ascent:

A sweaty activator :wink:

73 joe

4 Likes

Hi Joe,

I have been chasing you on HF , but couldn’t catch you sorry.
I couldn’t hear anything but noise here on 14.320.
The condition on HF has changed around 9:00 in the morning(JST) and got very noisy today.

Take care and have a nice day.
I wish you 'll have something nice today

73 Atsu

1 Like

A contest on 20m and radar booming in on top end of 20m.
One station replyed on 70cm but after I asked to repeat callsign the station went quiet.

A bit sad that there was no contact on my last activation before heading home to Austria next week Tuesday. But I am happy and thankfull for the nice QSO on the other summits.
And more important the friendly, kind, passionate and helpfully SOTA friends I met here in Japan.

I am back at the hotel. Everything sweaty and wet.
GPS watch recorded an accumulated height gain of 1190m :woozy_face:
Not unusual for me but the high humidity made it a big challenge for my body.

Thanks for giving it a try Atsu-san. :+1:
We will drive to a nearby Onsen to relax and have a nice dinner then.

73 Joe

1 Like

A typhoon is coming and Honsyu island gets very hot and humid.
Everybody outside got sweaty today even in our northern district.
・・・It’s kinda detoxication for us.・・・

Good day!
Atsu

1 Like
1 Like

Hi Joe,

I’m sorry to hear that you could not get any station today. I couldn’t get on the air today because of my business. There were many SOTA mates who met at Ham Fair last weekend on the summits today.

I watched some of your YouTube videos. They are very interesting.
I learned how easy to get country or get other SOTA associations
from your video. So I hope to visit OE5 and do SOTA if I had a chance. I am very looking forward to watching your activation report of SOTA trip in Japan. I have already registered your channel.

Please come back to Japan again! Let’s make S2S contacts next time. :wink:

Aki JI3BAP

I am so sorry that the S2S with Hiro-san @jg0awe did not work.
I am not sure if I will manage to come back to Japan but I am optimistic that in some years the solar cycle will allow a contact from Europe to Japan. And I will camp on a summit to make it happen.

All the best and enjoy SOTA.
73 de Joe

Thank you Aki-san for your nice comments and subscribing to my YouTube channel. Link to my YouTube channel
I hope that you enjoy the videos. I will need some time to get all the pictures and videos arranged from my Japan activations.

I would be happy to be your host when you visit Austria.
That is of course valid for everyone that is visiting Austria. Send a message or Email and I will join you on an activation or provide infos as good as possible.

73 de Joe

1 Like

Nice meeting you at the ham fair Joe. Somehow I thought you were based in Japan but originally from Austria, ooops, my bad. I was still jet-lagged. I hope you enjoyed your trip, it looks like you had some nice hikes / activations. The heat and humidity in the summer here are a tough combination! You did a great job.

73, Arnaud
JG1XMV

1 Like

Hi Arnaud,

It was nice meeting you and walking around with you at the ham fair.
Did you get the pictures from the ICOM photo shoot after the 705 presentation?

I definitly had a good time. A good mix of hiking, sightseeing and eating great food :grinning:

All the best and I hope to hear you on the bands

73 Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe,

That’s awesome. No I did not take any more pictures. I scanned the english brochures for the IC-705 & the IC-PW2 but that’s it. I walked around all the stands stopped by the SOTA stand one more time to meet a couple more people and that’s pretty much it.

For now I will be a chaser on HF when I have time, no activation for me in the near future. I enter the hospital on the 2nd of October for surgery, I am not sure how long the recovery time will be after that. Then there is still the question of my FT-817nd that I left in France :slight_smile: I think I will be building the kit I have been keeping an eye out for once it becomes available and leave it in Japan. I do not want to carry all my radio gear between France and Japan anymore. There is a good chance we can do a QSO when I am back in France next summer.

Today is 33c in Tokyo with humidity around 70%, it feels sizzling hot! A cool shaded place is so underrated right now. People very often do not realize how hot Japan is in the summer. Some competitors are going to be in for a surprise during the olympics.

73, Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

All the best for your surgery. Hope you recover fast to activate some summit in JA.

Which kit are you planning to build?

I will check for alerts. Which callsign will you use?

We kind of managed to ovoid the heat in Toyko as good as possible but it was uncomfortable.

Yesterday we had some delicious Wagyu steak menu:

Now at the airport waiting for boarding

Sayonara Japan
and 73 de Joe
JJ1FJK | OE5JFE

1 Like

Hi Joe,

So sorry it took me so long to reply
 Just got back in the reflector with a new pw after a long time.

Surgery went well, I am as good as new now, I just have some extra scars to show the ladies now :slight_smile: I had to rest until the 3rd of December after the surgery. I thought it was perfect timing for the ski season but it turns out it is a record low year for snowfalls in Japan this year. Bummer.

I was hoping to build the QSX all-band from QRP Labs once available but it has been delayed, so I’ll just have to be patient, it is a complex project.

So it looks like no activation this year for me in Japan and will do a few most likely when back in France using call sign F/JG1XMV using the FT-817. I recently acquired a GPSMAP 66i as well, trying to figure out how to work with it. I also need to figure out how to use the Inreach features to get spotted by sending a SMS via the satellite feature. I think I have to contact somebody and ask them to add my device to the list.

Hopefully catch-you on the air this spring/summer in Europe.

Arnaud

Hi Arnaud,

Great to hear that your surgery went well. I had smile about your comment on the scars :smile:

Skiing in Austria is also a bit mixed. By far not as much as the past two winters but I managed some alpine skiing and snow shoe hiking with a SOTA activations of course. Actually I made 2 QSO to VK from a summit so JA in SSB could work too hi

I remember we spoke about the QSX. Too bad as this would be a nice winter project to work on.
The same would apply for my mcHF 0.6 that is just missing very minor things to get on air.

Let me know when you are back in France. Skipdistance for 40m should be fine of a QSO hopefully summit to summit. A pile up is guaranteed with your callsign :+1: in good old Europe.

All the best and 73,
Joe