OE5JFE in Japan: Activation videos

Hello everyone,

Some might remember my status updates from my recent trip to Japan.
Now I have managed to edit the video from the activation of Rishiri-zan (Rishirifuji) JA8/SY-001

Here the video:

Thanks again for the QSO with
Hay @JA4RQO
Hideo @JH1MXV
Gary @ZL2IFB
Tada @JA1VVH
and S2S with Gene @BX8AAD

Hope you enjoy :smile:

73 Joe

21 Likes

Hi Joe!

Very special activation and a very good video!!!
Very lucky to have this opportunity. Go on for more!

73, Christos.

Hi Christos,

Yes indeed a special place with this scenic mountain on the island.
Thank you for your kind feedback.
One more video is planned from my Japan vacation. Hope to find some time for editing this week.

73, Joe

Fantastic Joe! Its easy to see the attraction of SOTA with such fine weather, good views and amazing DX! I’m still smiling about our QSO. Thanks for putting this excellent video diary together, and of course for climbing a JA mountain to work me!

73 Gary ZL2iFB

1 Like

Hi Joe,

impressive!

I’am a little bit jealous (no, really not only a little :wink:).

73 Ludwig DH8WN

1 Like

Hi Joe,

You had a nice weather and got one S2S, it was a very nice activation!
I will tell SOTA mates in Japan your video activation report.

Aki JI3BAP

Hi Aki,

Please share the video in the SOTA Japan mailing list and other platforms. Thank you.

73 Joe

Shared with some non-Hams here too Joe, everyone finds it inspiring! They now understand why we do it!
Thanks for the excellent video and 73
Geoff ZL3GA

2 Likes

Thanks Geoff!

You made my day with that feedback :smile:
Happy to inspire hams and non-hams with my video.

73 Joe

1 Like

Joe, just got back from my trip to Japan. I climbed Rakkodake in Hokkaido but was unsuccessful in making a contact. I couldn’t get my spot to work, and I ran out of time. Hopefully next time…,
Paul Mower
VA6MPM
JJ1TLL

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that. I had also no contacts on my 3rd activation (Enasan in the Nagano area).
The second one (video is in progress) was a bit more difficult to get 4 contacts for a full activation. But my co-hikers were luckily patient enough and I could manage within one hour.

I just got news from Hideo JH1MXV by email that we worked two SOTA station in SP so propagation is improving.

Good luck for your next trip to JA
73 Joe

Hi Joe

Great video as always. I will be back in EI for Xmas so maybe work you from there.

John VK6NU/EI8KU

Hi John,

Thanks for the nice feedback. Let’s hope that the winter will be nice and I can do a snow shoe hike and we a short chat.

73 Joe

It took a while until I found time to do the second video. I sorry to keep you waiting…

This is from the second activation I did on Hokkaido already back on 30th of August 2019
The summit is JA8/KK-001 Taisetsuzan (Asahidake)

A moderate hike utilizing the cable car and then a about 680m ascent. Weather was changing a lot but no rain overall. The volcanic landscape with the changing cloud conditions and light pearcing thru made it a unique experience.

It was a bit more difficult to get 4 unique QSO on 20m and 40m but I am very happy that I managed with the support of
Hideo @JH1MXV
Hay @JA4RQO
Atsu @JH7IOT
and
Tada @JA1VVH
to activate with 5 Watt SSB.

73, Joe

11 Likes

Nice job Joe, thanks for posting.

1 Like

Hi Joe
Very impressive to see the vulcanic activity!
Nice video, thanks for sharing.:blush:
73 Sabrina

1 Like

thanks Joe, thanks for your great video. A great effort for the summit and a succesfull activation. Well done.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

What an adventure Joe, again, thanks for the video. You should come and enjoy the Lake District next :wink:
Mark.

Thanks Mark for the invite :wink:

I have various ideas for my 2020 vacation and Scotland would be on my list.
Years ago I was hiking vom Cluanie Inn via Alltbeithe youth hostel to Glen Affric and also climbed Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan GM/WS-006
I think I will revisit now with SOTA in mind. And the Five Sisters of Kintail ridge are of course a promising challenge there.

But Lake District could be also a very good idea of course. :+1:
Let’s see

73 Joe