OARC SOTA Activity Day - 25th June 2022

That’s bizarre if true. Has anyone got an explanation from the HEMA MT?

Or is it a case of the Judean People’s Front versus the People’s Front of Judea? Splitters!

3 Likes

Must admit that was my thoughts! :rofl: Blooming petty if thats the case…

Cheers

2E0JWA

3 Likes

As it should be!

That aside, I hope to be completing my remaining summits in G/DC this weekend. Always happy to talk to SOTA chasers, HEMA activators, FF and anyone else (even SOTA MT :wink:). I even spoke to someone operating pubs and clubs OTA the other week. Now that is an area of amateur radio I could easily move into :grin: :beers:

3 Likes

I was an early adopter of HEMA after it was set up by my friend Mike @G4BLH. I enjoyed activating my local HEMAs like Shutlingsloe, Mow Cop and The Roaches.

Unfortunately, when Mike stepped down, the new custodian of HEMA was someone who didn’t like me. He promptly excluded me from the HEMA Facebook group and deleted all my activator and chaser logs from the HEMA Database. My understanding is that some SOTA MT members are still allowed in to HEMA resources, but most are excluded. Jimmy M0HGY is not a SOTA MT member, but is excluded simply for being my son.

Anyway - Freeholds Top - fine choice!

3 Likes

Yes, it does look like a decent little mooch, not too heavy on my rubbish legs, and another new one for me too! might do the other one accross the valley too same day G/SP-009 HAILSTORM HILL if my legs are up to it! :rofl::rofl: hopefully ill get you in your bunker on the cloud :rofl::rofl:

Cheers for the explanation tom. Like i say apogies if ive opened cans of worms that are best left closed pal

Cheers

Alan - 2E0JWA

3 Likes

Weren’t they a one-hit-wonder 70’s band?

2 Likes

Indeed most people do the pair on the same day trip.

There are recommended routes, and routes to be avoided for both.

For Freeholds Top, stick on the Limers Gate Track from the North, until fairly close to the summit. Don’t be tempted to follow the Rossendale Way waymarked trail - it’s dreadful underfoot. The routes from Shawforth to the West can be difficult to find and get convenient parking.

For Hail Storm Hill, park between Cowpe and Boarsgreave to the north of the hill and head for the trig point at Top of Leach. It’s in the AZ and much more pleasant than the true summit. The routes to the true summit are a bit grim too. You could approach via Rooley Moor Road from Stacksteads but it’s a bit of an unrelenting slog from there.

Have a great day.

2 Likes

Brilliant that buddy, thankyou! i shall print that out and mark a map up accordingly :slight_smile:

cheers Tom

Alan - 2E0JWA

2 Likes

Not known for moaning, but this thread seems to have been hijacked!

Let the Brickworks have their day out and give appropriate good advice on here.

David
GQ0EVV

1 Like

Yeah, a bit, eh? :-o

I may do this as a “* on the Air” next year. The idea was to encourage RF ops between our members - I’m cool however that is done. But SOTA is the only thing I do personally so it was my first thought.

Brickworks is a fun programme and it’s fun to try new things.

1 Like

It is! I hadn’t realised it changed some time back and updated it in the wiki. Thanks for the heads up on the other activity.

Hi Jimmy, I was aware of some political issues when they first started up, but as your Dad says Mike G4BLH run it well! I was not aware of this situation though. If I had known I would have not continued my activities with them. I will be contacting whoever and asking them to cancel my account forthwith.

Good Luck to the OARC Sota Activators , I will do my best to get the local ones near me on the 25th 73 Tony

2 Likes

Hi Tony,

I believe that quite a lot of the SOTA activators who also take part in HEMA like yourself are unaware of the issues and history with the HEMA programme. However due to the fact that the SOTA MT are aware of the issues regarding HEMA, it is discouraged from promoting the HEMA programme on this Reflector.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

Hi Jimmy, Yes I fully understand and have now deleted all my logs on there. I know we can never get away from Politics creeping in to all of our everyday life, but things like this leave a sour taste in my mouth. I have recently been a victim of personal slurs towards me from a couple of “So Called Radio Friends”, and I think I am one of the old fashioned “Hams” who still have a thought that our hobby is meant to be fun!

Cheers Tony

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about the “personal slurs” from “so called radio friends” Tony. I totally understand how you feel about HEMA now that you are aware of the issues in relation to HEMA.

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

Great, I have just spotted an Op will be on the Cloud G/SP-015 on this day, so that’s 2 I should be able to get and also the op on The Cloud has a rare G5 Callsign,so need to grab that one in my log as a chaser Good luck all Tony

2 Likes

Hmm no one checked with me re The Cloud.

However, it’s not a problem as I’m away in GM that day. Not sure if I’ll be on a summit at the time of this activity, but I’ll bear it in mind.

2 Likes

What aren’t you up on the Pennine Way again Tom? (Just watched Countryfile).
73 Ed.

1 Like

That’s a magnanimous gesture Tony. People including myself have never been told why we can’t take part. It’s not like we have repeatedly broken the HEMA rules just we are not welcome for who we are not what we have done. You could say it’s HEMA’s game so they can say who can play. Fine, but when there are arbitrary exclusions just change the description of the people excluded and see how it reads. Change “member of the SOTA MT” to let’s say “black” or “Jewish” or “Muslim” or “LGBT” and see how the arbitrary exclusion looks. Not good I would suggest.

3 Likes

Would be superb if those of us up here could work you Tom, do you know where you’ll be?

We have a few committed to satellite ops too now which is exciting.

1 Like