NP-031 Birks Fell

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom

The advantage of Littondale is that you will be able to visit “The Falcon” in Arncliffe. This is the original “Woolpack” in Emmerdale Farm. I will only say you will love the place.

My preference is from Wharfedale. As Roger says there is a tax for parking but has the Buck Inn - the meals are great and I once got a breakfast here early one winter morn.

The track is easy to follow - a farm track to start and then a waymarked path, gentle at first then s little steep and loose but nothing to worry about. Whichever route you elect to follow you will miss out on some views on one side or the other.

Also the ale house and church at Hubberholm are well worth a visit Just look for the famous mice.

Enjoy

MYKE AND HUEY

In reply to G6DDQ:

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom

The advantage of Littondale is that you will be able to visit
“The Falcon” in Arncliffe. This is the original
“Woolpack” in Emmerdale Farm. I will only say you will
love the place.

Have to agree here Myke

The track is easy to follow - a farm track to start and then a
waymarked path, gentle at first then s little steep and loose but
nothing to worry about. Whichever route you elect to follow you will
miss out on some views on one side or the other.

not so :-

Look at my photos on Flikr all taken using Littondale approach. I have many others but just put selected few there. From Buckden you turn right too early to the true summit to get any views on the Litton side. Where did you operate from Myke ?

Also the ale house and church at Hubberholm are well worth a visit
Just look for the famous mice.

Enjoy

MYKE AND HUEY

The George is not bad but it was better in the late '60s when you could camp in what is now the car park behind it. Bet you couldn’t find J B in the churchyard though :-). Many have been conned into looking though (including me) :frowning:
Ah the mice of Mousey Thompson - I have an ashtray with one on it that I watched carved in Kilburn - not original by Robert but woe betide anyone who goes near it with a cigarette.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom,

I’ve already twinned Birks Fell with Buckden Pike for a future sortie, though Roger’s ascent does look better. Being able to leave the car in Buckden is an advantage to me - a leisurely lunch time there rather than a hurried lunch + drive combination. The days are rapidly shortening limiting options. The easy gradient at the start of the route to Buckden Pike would help with digesting lunch before getting stuck into the tougher gradient. As for the car park charge, small change when there’s 380 miles worth of fuel gone into the jaunt. It’s the only time I don’t mind paying!!!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Gerald,

Fancy Buckden Pike for Remembrance Sunday ? The story behind the memorial is fascinating to say the least. If memory serves me correctly you will find the remains of a Wimpy towards Angram on Gt Whernside (Keith,OXV may be able to assist on this one).

We also use the aircraft wrecks, B17 etc, on Gt Whernside as navigation exercises for the ATC and UAS. Again, and I may be mistaken, but this area may have been the catalyst for the formation of RAF MRT owing to the number of incidents on all the moors in this area. Was the first team formed at RAF Topcliff ? I think Gwens book needs another read

Roger, I did Horsehead Moor, via Scar House, and descended via Birks Tarn to Buckden on the Littondale to Buckden path. This I found to be fairly easy to follow in the dark with the headtorch but I hate the LED things.

I also understand that the cafe near to the Car Park does great meals during the early evening but I shall certainly be visiting the Buck for an evening meal in the very near future. Perhaps next year a meal in the Falcon is called for. Is George “the younger” still the landlord ?

Another gem is the farm cafe in Craco.

MYKE

In reply to G6DDQ:

Hi Myke,

Buckden Pike for Remembrance Sunday - now there’s a thought. Are you implying an actual memorial service takes place on the summit? If so, I’d have to join in - that would play havoc with my scheduling!

Okay on the wrecks - very interesting. The WX wasn’t conducive to searching them out on Friday 31st when I activated Great Whernside. With the 3 hour drive ahead of me I was just pleased to get back to the car in reasonable time.

73, Gerald