NP-031 Birks Fell

In reply to M1EYP:

Yes, I am a systems administrator for the Database, hence I can see
the times of the QSOs.

Why was this change made? As it was, the full QSO details were openly
displayed on the Chaser logs, which is against ARRL requirements for
stations that participate in its DXCC program. So now individual
detailed QSO data is limited to viewing by that participant, with only
general summary details openly viewable.

Tom,

I’m going to stick my head above the parapet and ask whether you or someone else on the MT can explain exactly why SOTA accedes to the ARRL requirements? What relevance has the ARRL DXCC program to SOTA?

Being able to view the logs would provide complete transparency and the avoid the issues that have been raised in respect of NP-021 / NP-031 and the WB’s in recent months.

73, Gerald

In reply to 2E0HJD and G4OIG:

I agree with Gerald and Mick, the ARRL has no relevance to SOTA. From the activation from the USA it appears the converse is also true.

A couple of quotes from UKRA newsgroup:-

"FYI: The CQWW Contest Commitee were so kind to put all 2006 contest logs
onto their webpage without password protection:

http://www.cqww.com/cwlogs.htm and …/ssblogs.htm

Not only that all details may now be retrieved by third parties without
major effort, most of them show the contesters’ full address (funny for
those who have demanded to withhold their data for the callbook) but
important also for all among us who used to collect DXCC bandpoints or even
new countries during the contest: As you know, according to the DXCC rules
no credits can be given for a qso if the log was ever published with all
details.

What for heaven’s sake might have driven them?

Cheers
Bernhard"

"That ruling led to us having to change the SOTA database system to
conform. Daft really.

Richard
G3CWI"

So SOTA ‘HAD’ to change! Even though it was ‘Daft’ !
Perhaps someone could explain the logic?

Confused of Rawdon (AKA G4OWG)

ps to keep in context NP-031 is a superb little hill - details and pictures to follow. Perhaps anyone wishing to reply regarding the ARRL issue should start a new thread.

In reply to G4OWG:

ps to keep in context NP-031 is a superb little hill - details and
pictures to follow. Perhaps anyone wishing to reply regarding the ARRL
issue should start a new thread.

Yes, sorry about the ARRL subject being tagged to this thread, but it was a natural progression of the theme and is relevant to the activations that took place and the queries raised as a result.

I assume that you ascended Birks Fell from Buckden Roger rather than via HHM which would have been a long trek in. This hill will make a super double with Buckden Pike if used with Richard CWI’s ascent route for that hill, though I intend to simplify that by parking in / near Buckden and ascending both from the same car parking spot. There appears to be a convenient path from Buckden up to the Pike which joins Richard’s route. Should make a reasonable winter double.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Gerald

That seems a very good idea. I have always appraoched the Birks Fell / Horsehead Moor massive from the Buckden side but that is my preference.

As you say this would make a great double. But, parking in Kettlewell and ascending to Birks Fell after breakfasting, on high fat content, elongagted offal tube butties, in the superb little cafe opposite the fuel stop the treble is now feasable. (It was the issue of this food that brought Jim Hacker into power as PM) Simply ascend to the ridge, nip across to Birks Fell. Drop to Buckden and then ascend Buckden Pike. My favourite way is via the permissive path and then through the old mine workings. Just a hop, skip and a jump from here to the summit. Descend via the memorial (paying homage to the Polish aircrew en-route) to Tor Dyke and then onto Gt Whernside. Descending via the Scout Hut to Kettlewell and hot chocolate.
with marshmellow in the little hidden gem of a cafe near the YH.

A long day but in winter you would get 25 points. Weather permitting may try this NYD.

Bye the bye - apologies for Horsehead Moor.

MYKE AND ERMINTRUDE

In reply to G4OIG:
No I parked at the pub in Litton and approached from that side.
Agree on the pair though. Park in Buckden and ascend via ‘Rakes’.
I have done this a few times in winter when the bog is frozen. Last time I descended via the mines. Pre SOTA I have been over Birks from Buckden many times as part of a circular, Buckden - Litton - Halton Gill - Horse Head - Yokenthwaite - Buckden.
But yesterday was the first time I had visited Birks Tarn and the true summit.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OIG:

Gerald

That seems a very good idea. I have always appraoched the Birks Fell / Horsehead Moor massive from the Buckden side but that is my preference.

As you say this would make a great double. But, parking in Kettlewell and ascending to Birks Fell after breakfasting, on high fat content, elongagted offal tube butties, in the superb little cafe opposite the fuel stop the treble is now feasable. (It was the issue of this food that brought Jim Hacker into power as PM) Simply ascend to the ridge, nip across to Birks Fell. Drop to Buckden and then ascend Buckden Pike. My favourite way is via the permissive path and then through the old mine workings. Just a hop, skip and a jump from here to the summit. Descend via the memorial (paying homage to the Polish aircrew en-route) to Tor Dyke and then onto Gt Whernside. Descending via the Scout Hut to Kettlewell and hot chocolate.
with marshmellow in the little hidden gem of a cafe near the YH.

A long day but in winter you would get 25 points. Weather permitting may try this NYD.

Bye the bye - apologies for Horsehead Moor.

MYKE AND ERMINTRUDE

In reply to G6DDQ:

My favourite way is via the permissive path and
then through the old mine workings.

MYKE AND ERMINTRUDE

The area is all CROW now Myke so you can go all the way down the mine stream or take the easier route from the mines to the top of the Raikes or in fact any way that takes your fancy.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G6DDQ:

Hi Myke,

The route sounds a good one, though I’d only do the double myself since I did Great Whernside on Friday and I won’t do a repeat of that while there are other fresh hills to be activated. You obviously know all the little gems in the locality, but then with Ermintrude on your arm, you’ve a great excuse to get out to find them!

No probs about HHM, though it would have been good to meet up there. Maybe we can do that when I’m up north again.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OWG:

No I parked at the pub in Litton and approached from that side.

Sounds like the pub had a measure of priority on the activation Roger, Hi!!!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I’m going to stick my head above the parapet and ask whether you or
someone else on the MT can explain exactly why SOTA accedes to the
ARRL requirements? What relevance has the ARRL DXCC program to SOTA?

With apologies for extending the thread creep, this question needs to be answered in context.

The MT was merely acting in the interests of the SOTA community. Should anyone wish to claim a SOTA QSO for DXCC then there was a clear risk that ARRL would disallow such a claim. This scenario is most certainly possible and therefore it is entirely relevant to SOTA - the GD summits, for example are reasonably valuable DXCC real estate.

I am delighted that CQ Magazine has, with all its considerable weight, challenged the ARRL’s overbearing requirements in this matter. The MT is currently assessing the implications and will report back soon.

In reply to G4OIG:
It was shut when we returned :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

In reply
Just noticed that if you do a search for Birks Fell in sotawatch it is showing no activations.
Its ok on the summit info page.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

It was shut when we returned :frowning:

You didn’t do your scheduling correctly Roger, did you? Or is there a glitch in your spreadsheet program? :wink:

73, Gerald

In reply to G3WGV:

Many thanks for the explanation John.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OWG:

Just noticed that if you do a search for Birks Fell in sotawatch it is
showing no activations.
Its ok on the summit info page.

I understand that this is something that Jon has on his list to do - automatic updating. At the moment he is doing the updates manually once every few days.

73, Gerald

I have just done the updates for the SOTAwatch region summaries. So claimed activations of Birks Fell (and chases) should now show up.

Tom

In reply to 2E0HJD:
Mick, you should know better than to let this wind you up, its DDQ playing his games again and the two prawns sorry pawns (james and Matt) will be integrated into the scheme of things to allay DDQ’s involvement. They are sat there in Ermintrude talking to each other and laughing at the suposed anxiety they are causing. Dont give it the air time or exposure on here anymore, we all know what the crack is with the “gang”, tell you what, they will be claiming an all SS summits in 2 days next !!! yes Mike, I think even that is beyond your surreal imagination !! lol

What is the “best” way (best underfoot gooing, kindest gradients, nice views) up Birks Fell then? Looking to do this with Jimmy & Liam one Autumn weekend. Roger, Gerald, Myke, James - your thoughts?

In reply to M1EYP:
There is not a lot in it Tom.
If you go from Buckden you have a good (but expensive) car park but then a short section of busy narrow road to walk, and I think it is a slightly steeper ascent and unless you cross the plateau you miss the views of Littondale. The advantage is the Buck Inn is likely to be open when you descend.
My preference is the route I described. Limited parking in village at weekends but pub may have longer hours. Nice green lane until you reach open fell then a not too taxing ascent to the plateau. Paved across the plateau ala Black Hill. Sheep track to summit. With good views up and down Wharfedale. You can even extend it to a circular by going across to Horse Head Gate and down to Halton and back along the river to Litton.

Roger G4OWG

Nice. Thanks Roger, I like the sound of that. In a strategically necessary change of style, I will be doing just one summit per day on this NP weekend, if we get the pass-out, so the route sounds perfect. Great Knoutberry will be the other summit - not a natural one to pair with Birks, even over a weekend, but it must be another 4-pointer (and not a 6), and preferably another ‘catch-up’ Unique for Jimmy.