NP-031 Birks Fell

Is anyone thinking of activating this new one on its first day (01/09/07)?
If so let me know (roger.leighton@btinternet.com) and I’ll have a lie in.
Its reasonably close to me but I would hate to spoil it for someone who has traveled specially.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to all:
Just looked on SOTA website - the G ARM does not appear to have been updated to include NP-031 or the change of association manager - will an activation be valid?

Roger G4OWG

G/NP-031 will appear on the SOTA Database on 1st September. It is in there already - enter ‘NP-031’ in the ‘Find summit’ feature for the details. It should also show up on Sotawatch in due course. It seems that the SOTA website still needs to be updated with the newly updated G ARM - this will be done shortly.

In reply to G4OWG:

Its reasonably close to me but I would hate to spoil it for someone who has traveled specially.

Roger,

You are an absolute gentleman!

As discussed yesterday, I did consider an overnight stay to do the NP-021 / NP-031 double, but decided that as I was the only person posted for NP-021 and therefore likely to achieve a last activation, I would leave the first activation of NP-031 for someone else. I now see from the alerts that I have been gazumped. Still, not a bad day out of the office with 33 QSOs from both NP-021 and NP-008 in exchange for 380 miles on the road.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Just looked at data for Birks Fell - it appears Charlie was not the first.
ZZO seems to have been last on NP-021 and first on NP-031.
Well done to all - hope you left it tidy for me tomorrow :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Congratulations to the once again elusive James M0ZZO would appear to be in order.

I’m pleased to see that your car crash injuries have healed sufficiantly for you to climb a 4 point summit James, well done on your accomplishing the very first sota activation of the new unique and indeed the last activation of Horse Head Moor.

It’s a pity I missed you on both summits though, even though I stayed up until 03:15 local, tuned to S20 and checking all frequencies in the hope of being the last/first chaser for these 2 summits.
I guess I’ll have to hone my chasing skills. I’ll catch you on a summit soon I hope. Ah well, I guess you can’t win em all.

My apologies to Gerald G4OIG/P and Charlie G0PZO/P, my congrats to you both appear to have been somewhat premature for your superb activations of Horse Head Moor/Birks Fell.
Thanks to you both for your big signals and indeed for the chaser points and in your case Charlie, for a unique.

Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the NP-031 on 2m ssb now I will have to go back and do this one soon.

And I take it this has replaced NP-021 hope my activation of NP-021 still stands as did it last weekend?

Terry

Yes Terry, NP-021 was valid right up until midnight on Friday, so your points for Horse Head Moor are safe.

It is in actual fact Myke G6DDQ who has the last activation of Horse Head Moor. James M0ZZO’s activation was around 7 hours earlier.

James will certainly have the first activation of Birks Fell though, with his activation beginning at midnight UTC, very early Saturday morning.

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the INFO on NP-021 Tom, read your wright up on the lakes nice I did not get the chance to go up on the last bank holiday so did NP-021 & NP-008 but still a nice day out and a nice meal in the Queens Arms in Litton and a pint of the Litton Ale too.

Ok Tom thanks.

Terry

In reply to M1EYP:

It is in actual fact Myke G6DDQ who has the last activation of Horse
Head Moor. James M0ZZO’s activation was around 7 hours earlier.

Thats not what it shows in the database ‘Recent Activations’ section in the ‘last call’ column Tom ???

Mike

In reply to M1EYP:

It is in actual fact Myke G6DDQ who has the last activation of Horse
Head Moor. James M0ZZO’s activation was around 7 hours earlier.

James will certainly have the first activation of Birks Fell though,
with his activation beginning at midnight UTC, very early Saturday
morning.

Unfortunately Tom activator times and stations worked are not available from the database since it was changed :frowning:
Unless of course you are viewing your own log or are a systems administrator for the database. Why was this change made?

Sorry for changing tack…I’m waiting to grab 9 more SWL points to take me to 2500 :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

Hi Roger,

Yes, I am a systems administrator for the Database, hence I can see the times of the QSOs.

Why was this change made? As it was, the full QSO details were openly displayed on the Chaser logs, which is against ARRL requirements for stations that participate in its DXCC program. So now individual detailed QSO data is limited to viewing by that participant, with only general summary details openly viewable.

Tom

Mike G4BLH,

For some reason, the Database doesn’t (always) quite get the order right when there have been two or more activations of the same summit on the same day. We are aware of this, but consider it to be a “low priority” issue in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, FTR, the order of activations on the last day of Horse Head Moor was:

G4OIG, M0ZZO and finally G6DDQ

…remembering that there could still be activations to be entered, or activations that won’t be entered but that did take place.

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Gentlemen. I activated Horse Head Moor at around 2000 hours, please correct this if I am in error, and then descended to Buckden where I met up with the stunningly beautiful Ermintrude. Later I joined James in the Buck (they do Timothy Taylors mild here) and James left after me for Horsehead Moor.

May I also recommend the Falcon in Arncliff for great hospitality and ale served in the traditional manner.

Your activation entry agrees with the time you suggest Myke. It looks like James might have entered his incorrectly, for his logs show as a few hours earlier than yours - indicating that yours was the last ever activation of NP-021.

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help with the alerts on Friday - much appreciated. At least both myself and Charlie have the honour of being the last and the first to activate Horse Head Moor/Birks Fell on HF… but I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened!

73, Gerald

In reply to 2E0HJD:

Each to his own Mick.

For me, the physical bit of gaining the summit is my way of keeping reasonably fit and to enjoy the countryside and be out in the open air regardless of the weather is a huge bonus. A session in the gym could not compare by any stretch of the imagination!

Radio wise, personally I wouldn’t run the risk of not qualifying a summit having driven 300+ miles each time I go out. Hence why I always use a bit of power and a beam. This partly results from my personally inflicted task of qualifying each summit on 2m or a higher frequency band before activating it on HF, but equally what is an activation without giving chaser points away?

73, Gerald

P.S. Perhaps you had a bit of deja vu on this one… something to do with the WB’s…

Hi Mick

Apologies for not making a spot first. I tend not to use the spotting system as I can’t always guarantee to get away from work on time and have had to abandon many planned activations.

In this case I would have hated to keep people waiting up so late had I not made it.

Matt 2E0XIS and I did call CQ on the 2m FM calling channel for quite some time but got no response from regular SOTA stations. Not sure how we missed Mike if he waited up till 03:15.

I also entered horse head moor times wrongly in the database and I will rectify it later.

Hoping to be out next weekend on Fountains Fell and Pen Y Ghent so may catch you from there.

73, James M0ZZO

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help with the alerts on Friday - much appreciated.

73, Gerald

My pleasure as always Gerald.

73 Mike

Hi James,

Congratulations on your recent late night escapade. Unfortunately, like
Mike DSP, I missed you on both summits. I confess that I am completely
amazed that, from where I was located (where I could almost hear a gnat
passing wind on Horsehead Moor), I did not hear either of you despite having
one rig permanently tuned to the 2m fm calling channel, and the other
scanning the 2m fm simplex channels. Ah well, such is life.

As I am clearly not the only sad git who stayed up very late loitering
on the band just in case there was a night time activation, could you
please put me out of my misery by enlightening me who the other four
saddos were ?

Mike G4BLH