New Titanium Pot & Caldera

What with the lockdown now easing in Austria, and the possibility of some multi-day SOTA trekking to look forward to, it’s time to go through gear and decide on a strategy for this year. First on the list was a new pot. My beer can pot worked fine, the only problem was being limited to instant meals, which can be hugely variable in quality. I want to be able to restock in any common supermarket, so I decided to try a titanium pot from A****n:

This means I have some boil time; albeit rather furious with an alcohol stove. However, the new pot would need a new windshield, so I set to work last night. Thankfully, I bought extra grade 2 titanium last time I ordered from the US, so I had enough left over for this project:

I needed a bowl for my muesli, so the new pot only adds 30g weight compared to my tin bowl / beer can combo: perfectly acceptable. A video will follow soon, just some tips on working titanium.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

9 Likes

Just finished uploading the video, hope you find it helpful.

If you are looking to lighten your load with something ready made, the Trailsdesigns do some reasonably priced gear:

3 Likes

Very clever. I never even considered titanium comes in floppy sheets!!

It comes in 5 grades as well. Grade 2 seems favoured for our purposes as it is more ductile and easier to work. Probably a bit cheaper as well. Grade 5 is very stiff and more suited to aerospace applications. The truth is, however, I only use it because it’s neigh on impossible to find aluminium foil in the hard state here in the EU. If you are fortunate enough to live in the Americas, then I would recommend sourcing the thinnest grade of Amerimax aluminium flashing before considering Ti foil:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-20-in-x-10-ft-Aluminum-Drip-Edge-Flashing-68320/100071450
The product in the above link is not necessarily the thinnest grade!

I like to save weight - and money - if possible.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

1 Like

I use the same titanium pot. Took it with me on the Arctic Circle Trail, it worked great. I can fit my whole cookset inside including a Soto Amicus burner - nice and compact!

1 Like