New Rig from Icom?

In Facebook, icom announced yesterday, some new rig will come soon, and will be shown in Tokyo
Hamfair.

Catch copy is “be Active!” It sounds targeting to field operations.

6 Likes

We will stay tuned.

2 Likes

From the Icom .au site:

• Coming Soon – VE-PG4 – Seamless Solution: Radio + IoT+ Multi-Protocol (15/2/2019)

• The VE-PG4 is designed to provide a seamless communication solution over IP Gateway Linking Various Radio Systems and Protocols with LTE and IP Networks. This would allow users to interconnect various communications systems without limitations imposed by distance, security or technology. The VE-PG4 offers a range of features which will include:

• LTE (4G) and 3G network connection[i]
    • Wireless LAN transceiver controller built-in
    • Telephone interconnection with IP Phone
    • IDAS Conventional and Type-D multi-site trunking connection
    • Analog radio system connection
    • Base station operation with optional microphone
    • Voice recording function to a USB drive[1]
    • External equipment, sensor connection
    • VPN router function
    • Half-width 1U form design
  • The VE-PG4 functions works as a bridge for radio network audio to an IP protocol (VoIP) and then interconnects this between those various devices on the network.

• For more information here is the pre-release brochure.

• **At this stage no release date or pricing has been confirmed for the unit.

Maybe/maybe not, not really a “rig”.

1 Like

I got a sound that it is the real rig.

Toru 9V1/JH0CJH

1 Like

Expecting the name as IC-50TA, IC -SOTA :grinning:

Toru 9V1/JH0CJH

4 Likes

I’ve just told my fridge that I might be able to talk to it from a summit - it’s very excited :wink:

8 Likes

I spent two hours last night defrosting the freezer…she called it foreplay!!!

5 Likes

Is it the time to create an Appliances Chaser Roll of Honour? :crazy_face:
Cheers,

Guru

3 Likes

Spoiler: IC-705

3 Likes

So not quite as good as the IC706?

All to be revealed over the weekend.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

I will have a look this Sunday at the ICOM booth and try to squeeze as much infos out for the SOTA community.
But I guess Toru will do the same. @JH0CJH

73 Joe

4 Likes

I don’t have too high hopes. Icom rigs are known for their current draw that does not exactly fit SOTA. Anyway, the picture already reveals some details: mobile/portable allmode allband QRP TRX with internal batteries, GPS and bluetooth, likely a direct-sampling SDR.

Ahoi
Pom

Edit: deleted “w/o ATU” after watching the video. :wink:

2 Likes

From the photo, it’s nice that you can monitor the PA grid current, apparently, haven’t seen that for years… :smile:

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1167354642478448640

Same video with comments at: NEW ICOM IC-705 | DX-World

But do you think this could be a “Spoof” from ICOM to raise general interest around their stand - “IF” this video has been played, it was done while the stand was still being set-up. I find the graphic here: http://www.w6rz.net/ic705-2.jpg looks like a “cobbled together” mixture of various existing ICOM rigs old and recent.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

3 Likes

Wee bit of info here as well:

Later,
Todd KH2TJ

1 Like
2 Likes

Small tidbits and nuggets of info found while poking around. Bored today waiting to get called for work! :wink:

Later,
Todd KH2TJ

1 Like

Looks like true FT817 successor like 818 was expected to be.

2 Likes

Full details here (updated post): Icom IC-705 HF/VHF/UHF portable SDR transceiver – full details | QRPblog

3 Likes

Can some one please buy one and measure the power consumption on Rx. None of my existing Icom rigs are really good at this for portable use.

PS: I suspect they have been reading up on SOTA and realised what a high activity area of AR it is.

2 Likes