New Rig from Icom?

This text from Adam VA7OJ/AB4OJ at Tokyo Ham Fair:

I am pleased to announce that Icom has launched the new IC-705 HF+ portable SDR transceiver (and the new IC-PW2 LDMOS amplifier) at Tokyo Ham Fair 2019.

It seems we dont have a price yet, which is normal at an announcement - ICOM will now judge the response to see where it can market it - I would suspect around the price of the Elecraft KX3 or a little higher.
A launch date of March next year will no doubt make it THE big thing (despite its size) at Hamvention in Xenia.

73 Ed.

P.S. Reading the small print under the “HF/50/144/340 MHz All Mode” heading in the two page brochure - it says " * 70MHz band will be featured for the European version." !!

PPS: another video (ICOM presentation of the 705 at the Tokio Hamfair) here: Icom-705 Preview. Live from Tokyo Hamfair 2019 - YouTube

1 Like

https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-705-hf-vhf-uhf-all-mode-transceiver.html

Not getting excited about this new to come Icom radio at all for SOTA activating. It looks too big and vulnerable to carry up to a summit.

73 Phil

1 Like

Product leaflet https://icomuk.co.uk/files/icom/PDF/newsFile/IC-705_Tokyo_Hamfair.pdf

Great to see manufacturers bringing out exciting new radios for portable use. Bit big for me for SOTA use, but I’ve been looking for a shack in the box mobile for the camper van and it could be a good option.

1 Like

Same idea as Phil …
No autotuner (but it does have a “tuner jack” wow), and much bigger than the KX3 … I’m 1.76 dB louder with the KX3, hi.
Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

Quite agree, particularly the touch screen … also might present a problem when wearing winter gloves :-s

1 Like

Announcements of new amateur transceivers are always interesting, as is this one, but I am not convinced of its application for SOTA.

I am constantly amazed at the weak signal performance of the Elecraft KX3, and I assume the KX2 will be the same. I doubt this new Icom rig will get anywhere near that, particularly as it is a multi-band rig, and compromises will have had to be made in the design.

Also the current drain is likely to be higher than other traditional rigs without large LCD displays.

But very interesting all the same.

73’s
David
G4ZAO

This is a new category radio for drive up or credit card SOTA as opposed to purist SOTA.

I usually bring my FT-817 for doing a SOTA on a business trip but last one I used the Xiegu G90 and an Icom ID-51. Now I need just one radio and a T1 tuner or a switched leg dipole.

The minimalists will be drilling holes to reduce the claimed 1kg weight down as they make their assault on the North Face.

For Hotels on the Air (HOTA) I am in line for one.

This is an interesting radio built by engineers to sell a pile of them just in time for salaryman bonus month in Japan not enthusiasts that will continue to enjoy their KX radios.

Another radio to have in the toolbox and I hope it promotes more operators to head outdoors.

The debates have started in earnest already but will this force Yaesu to come out with a new design field radio?

I doubt Wayne and the boys are worried about this radio at all
73s
John VE3IPS

I am on the list for one only because I can use my current spare BP-272 batteries on it hihi

2 Likes

I wonder whether we own different types of KX3? If I turn the preamp off, my KX3 seems to be quite deaf. Even on 40 m I have the preamp turned on.

Generally I cannot understand why everybody considers the KX3 better than the IC 705 already? The KX3 is a nice radio but has significant drawbacks. I agree it has replaced my FT-817 for HF-activations but I still see lots of room for improvements. Perhaps the IC-705 will bring some of them?

• @G4OBK I consider my KX3 highly vulnerable! Compared the FT-817 looks like a tank.
  • The rotary encoders of the KX3 are prone to damage - mine are slightly out of line all the time.
  • The protective glass of the display just waits to suck in any drop of rain falling on its edge.
  • The housing has slits, even small ants can get in. Not to think about humidity!
  • Put a mobile phone beside the KX3: You will have lots of interference in the RX audio. Never experienced this with the FT-817 - ok this one has a die cast heatsink as the base of the housing. Not a simple metal sheet box with slits.
  • The internal speaker is far too quiet when the radio is on the ground.
  • Heatsinks are insufficient: running 10 W SSB I can easily exceed 50°C PA temperature on hot days. Try key down at 10 W on 10 m: It takes 55 seconds to get the PA to 60°C resulting in thermal cutoff to 5 W.
  • The internal 2m transverter is not large signal capable at all. Get on a mountain during a 2m SSB contest even with a HB9CV and you are lost. The FT-817 performs better in this situation.
  • There is NO manual notch filter in SSB. Your AGC is swamped by strong signals when using the autonotch. So what use is it anyway? Learn from Icom how to build a a manual notch filter not spoiling the AGC! The Icom 756 pro II built years ago does the job.
  • 15 s of maximum recording time for the digital voice recorder - far too short for longer calls!

Elecraft seems to have stopped work on the KX3 firmware. Last update December 2017. They are propably busy with projects like the K4. Seems we are at the end of life with the KX3 regarding development.

The Icom 9700 runs at arount 1 A of RX current built as a station transceiver. So there is hope the IC 705 will run at acceptably RX current.

So let’s wait and see how the IC 705 will perform compared to the KX3. At least I know already it will do better on 70 cm!

73 de Michael, DB7MM

5 Likes

I had a closer look and there is not too much to add to the specifications already published.
All connectors have individual rubber covers.
There are no plans for reaching a specific IP rating for water and dust proofing. But that might change or is not published yet.
The guy I talked to could not answer if charging via USB works while operation.

I do not think that the 705 is water and dust-proof, if you look at the back.

73 Chris

A technical challenge will be to produce a clean SSB signal at 5W with the battery voltage of 7.2V.

Also, the battery capacity of 2000mAh gives only an energy of about 15Wh. Depending on the RX current consumption, I expect a significantly lower battery life than, for example, the KX2 with internal battery (about 27Wh) and the same output power.

OK, the battery can be changed at 705 much faster, hi.

73 Chris

… like reading a review of Ford or Chevy vs. Toyota or Honda… :smiley:

Thanks Michael for making me love my 817 even more.

2 Likes

Hey no Mopar! What have you got against a 440 sixpack? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better to just leave the battery out altogether; we’re all used to carrying external LiPos these days. Or, my other preference would be for a 3 or 4 cell 18650 LiPo cradle, so users can just put their own cells in. I won’t hold my breath for that one.
73 de HB9/OE6FEG/P
Matt

1 Like

The margin made by retailers on the radios is quite small in comparison to the margins made on accessories like microphones, batteries, cases etc. So you are never going to see a radio that does not come with some proprietary batteries etc. It’s how dealers make good when they have to match prices.

From the numbers I think it’s 75cuin volume vs 51cuin for an 817 and and 26cuin for a KX2 (sorry for the bizarre units, only had imperial sizes for an kx2). Having used 817s since 2004 and played with several KX2 and I would not have said the KX2 felt half the volume of an 817. I wonder if that is volume when the plastic lid is over the controls of the KX2 as that is really the representative volume.

Until you can start playing with production models, all bets are off regarding performance. I’d expect it to be better than an 817 in RX performance. Better than a KX2/KX3? That will depend on who you ask :wink: However, the main fact remains, this is the first competitor to the 817 that does all the 817 can do. The things that need to seen are operational ease, RX current drain and durability. As for waterproofness… I’ve always found ziplock plastic bags to be ideal to place a radio to keep the them dry and usable when it’s raining.

1 Like

Actually it’s a rig (in the European model), that can do more than the 817/818 as it supports 4 Metres (and of course it’s 10w instead of 5W output).

Expect first models just before Xenia, next year. Then we’ll see how good it is and how it compares for value. My “guess” would be an initial price tag around US$1100 - but that’s only a guess.

I wonder how long it will be before we see a Chinese copy of the little rucksack for the radio, which may fit other models as well?

73 Ed.

And how readable that fancy screen is in bright sunlight!

As readable as a modern phone… perfectly.

1 Like

I’m going to have to change my phone!

1 Like

That would be another preference of mine: e-ink display. They are highly efficient, easy to read in full sunlight and have a good resolution for our activities. However, from a marketing point of view, a nice colour display will appeal to new hams looking for their first rig. Something rich and fluid for the shack, but just small enough to be usable outdoors. I think the FT817 / 818 was many people’s first rig, I know I had one at one stage. The 705 fits nicely in that ‘do-it-all’ bracket, but for those with a bit more money probably.
73 de OE6FEG/P
Matt