New iPad

Just spotted this :-

Technology giant Apple has unveiled a new iPad that it said will take tablet computers to “a whole new level”.

The computer will have higher resolution than ever before, a video recorder and a five megapixel camera with auto focus and auto exposure.

It will also have “voice dictation” which allows people to dictate straight to their computer rather than type.

Apple said the “retina display”, which uses 3.1 million pixels on the 9.7 inch display screen, would have “the highest resolution display ever on a mobile device”.

Another feature is a high speed 4G wireless network which will allow users to download pictures and films quicker than before.

Speaking via a video link from California, the company’s CEO Tim Cook said: “It is amazing, we’re taking it to a whole new level”.

The tablet, which weighs 1.4lbs, will go on sale in the UK on March 16 for between £399 and £659.

So those soggy logs, pens that have run out/won’t write on wet paper, fingers that are too cold to write, miss interpretted enties are a thing of the past. And you can video the activation!

Or am I being a bit optomistic?

Peter
G1FOA

In reply to G1FOA:

So those soggy logs, pens that have run out/won’t write on wet paper, fingers that are
too cold to write, miss interpretted enties are a thing of the past. And you can video
the activation!

I wonder how weather-proof it is… :wink:

Probably. :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G1FOA:

So it’s IP67 or something like that?

Why not a 10€ recorder and write the logs at home?

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to G1FOA:

It’s a lovely toy. But it’s not 4G it’s LTE and there’s no LTE in the UK yet. At 1.4lbs it weighs the a metric shedload more than 2 pencils and a waterproof pad. And it’s not weatherproof. And you can’t change the battery. And you can only run Lord Jobs approved software. And its £659.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

…otherwise its OK!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I’ve wrestled with buying an iPad or an Android tab since they came out. They’re wonderful toys but I cannot find any reason at all to justify buying one. To be honest the cost is not a problem, find a need and the cost is acceptable. But without a need, and it being a shiny toy doesn’t cut it anymore as I have a house full of shiny toys, I can’t get jiggy with the idea.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s a lovely toy. But it’s not 4G it’s LTE and there’s no LTE in the
UK yet. At 1.4lbs it weighs the a metric shedload more than 2 pencils
and a waterproof pad. And it’s not weatherproof. And you can’t change
the battery. And you can only run Lord Jobs approved software. And its
£659.

LOL! No doubt you are waiting for a Linux tablet to come out, Andy. :slight_smile:

I have an iPad2. It cost £339 and it will do me very nicely, thank you. Using my dongle and pocket modem, it hooks up very reliably to the Three 3G network which has extensive coverage in England but almost nil in mountainous areas of Scotland and Wales. It’s nowhere near robust enough for me to consider lugging it up on to summits in a rucksack, but perfect for accessing my emails, bank account, etc when I’m away from home.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

waiting for a Linux tablet

Yes and no. Sat in front of me is a simulation we’re working on for the people who make the chips they sell to the people who make the tablets. My job is to get Linux and Android running on a tablet reference platform. The fun part being none of the semiconductor designs exist in silicon yet. So I do get my fill of them during the day!

If you like your iPad2 you should see what will be inside the tablets of 2014. Fast? you don’t know the meaning of the word! Battery life? Oh yes and then some!

However, I can’t justify a tablet with all the laptops I’ve got access to. :frowning:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Dear Andy,
Nice to hear from you again. I too considered using a Pad to take down the log on activations. However I dropped the idea. With 2 hands I am just able to hold the transceiver on my knees, an IC-703, but soon, hopefully the KX3, then the Mic in the left hand, and in right hand the Log-board and the pen.
As long as I am unable to enter the log directly into the SOTA-Datafile, or build an adif file, it makes no sence to carry such an delicate pad in addition to the other equipment. In my opinion paper and pencil or ballpoint (always several for spare) is still the most reliable art.

Andy, I may com to Britain again next summer, may be Isle of Man, Wales or the Lake District, I would let you have glance at my equipment, and the “log-board”, hi.

Best regard Edwin hb9zap

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve wrestled with buying an iPad or an Android tab since they came
out. They’re wonderful toys but I cannot find any reason at all to
justify buying one. To be honest the cost is not a problem, find a
need and the cost is acceptable. But without a need, and it being a
shiny toy…

Now this is a toy too…
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

I actually use the APRS via internet application(2G is enough).
The Debian Linux and Fldigi, well not really so useful because on HP iPAQ Windows mobile (5 or 6) and pocketdigi is much lighter and quite enough.
Battery life is not a problem with 2xAA usb charger.

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to MM0FMF:

iPad3 LTE is also useless in Germany, because of different frequency bands.

US: 700/2100 MHz. DL: 800/1800/2600 MHz.

Today there are articles online, that Apple says this can’t be patched with an firmware update, also they won’t develop a EU version of iPad3.

73 Joerg

In reply to DL1DLF:

By coincidence, a new version of the operating system (iOS 5.1) for the iPad and the iPhone has just been released. I downloaded and installed it today.

On the iPad there is not much difference from the earlier version, although it does appear to be a little more stable than iOS 5.0.1. On the iPhone, they claim it has significantly improved the battery life per charge … a feature which had given rise to many complaints from users of iOS 5.0.1.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Dear SOTA-Friends
Does anyone know a logbook-Applet which is running on an IPad?
Since I became an activator I always have a PC and an IPhone with me. Therefore the log upload to SOTA-DB is an easy and quick thing for me. The PC also tells me the name of the Chasers.
But all these devices are not waterproofed. At the beginning of this year a snowfall broke the display of my Asus-PC! With an extern Monitor I was able to recover the log!
At the beginning of this year it was very cold on summits (-15). It took me 3-5 sec to plug a QSO in the PC, because CPU/memory were much slower (hi hi) I am sure Chasers thought I cannot key! All these devices have no military specifications but they are cheap!
73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

In reply to G3NYY:

By coincidence, a new version of the operating system (iOS 5.1) for
the iPad and the iPhone has just been released. I downloaded and
installed it today.

On the iPad there is not much difference from the earlier version,
although it does appear to be a little more stable than iOS 5.0.1…

More stable, like it crashes less or what do you mean?

Jani OH9FZU

In reply to OH9FZU:

Exactly! It crashes less.

I’m using it to post this message, connected through the Three 3G mobile phone network.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

You can tell that His Holiness, St. Jobs is now dead because the APPL reality distortion field is start to slip.

It crashes less.

See, there’s a happy user talking about crashes. What Wlat means is that it sometimes doesn’t function the way he expects. This is because Wlat is holding it wrong or something. But crash. No, they don’t crash now and never crashed before.

:slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

You can tell that His Holiness, St. Jobs is now dead because the APPL
reality distortion field is start to slip.

LOL! Well of course now that Apple has taken over the crown from Microsoft and is now the biggest and most successful company in American history (with a Market Capitalisation of $508 billion), it’s only to be expected that the IT “cognoscenti” will start bashing Apple instead of the Gates empire! Hi hi!

It will cost you $545 for ONE share in Apple Inc today … so they must be doing something right. :slight_smile:

See, there’s a happy user talking about crashes. What Wlat means is
that it sometimes doesn’t function the way he expects. This is because
Wlat is holding it wrong or something. But crash. No, they don’t crash
now and never crashed before.

It’s not the OS that crashes. It’s just the poorly designed apps.
:wink:

Wlat (G3NYY)

In reply to MM0FMF:
I wonder if the battery will still last 10-12 hours as my Ipad2 !

In reply to KD9KC:

Classic couldn’t stop laughing

Peter G1FOA

In reply to G3NYY:
Biggest and most succesfull, sounds like Enron…
American may have a negative sound, could be a good marketing trick not to mention that.
iPaid being so closed system, it could be Chinese, telling where to go and how to do things(the easy way for simple people).

I think small and specialized user groups like hams benefit more of systems which are more open.

Jani OH9FZU