New Elecraft Rig: KH1 (Part 3)

made 1st activation with kh1 today

also tried 40m with loading coil
i am verry impressed

3 Likes

Is the loading coil part of the package ?
If not, which one did you use ?

1 Like

is an extension for ax1 antenna, comes with coil and longer radial

see also

2 Likes

have been on 2000m Summit minus 5°C - orig Elecraft Penball does write
but not shure at colder Days…
so i made a Pencil smaller to fit in KH1 Holder

tried the logging feature - but with KH1 Paddle some errors… so will use Pencil
hoping for 3rd Party Paddle

4 Likes

Maybe you could try the modification with magnets that Josh did (see above) ?

yes i already have some Magnets on order…
by the way i activated 2 Summits yesterday,
what is the best way to seperate the two summits in logging-file, your converted file or in FLE ??
klaus

Well, I was about to reply that you can just insert a “mysota” line where appropriate in the FLE file (“mysota AB/CD-123”).

However, I tried, and FLE 3.3 does not appear to handle that: the last “mysota” line is used for the whole log.

I tried also with FLEcli, but it behaves the same way (“Processing errors:
Attempt to redefine MySOTA at line 49”).

It looks to me like a possible improvement to these programs, and I’ll write to their authors to suggest considering it.

In the mean time, a simple workaround is to save the FLE log twice (in two separate files), set the “mysota” value in each file and only keep the part of the log that is relevant for that summit.

The KH1 also allows to store “notes” in the log. They are honored by the ELECRAFT2FLE converter, so you could also “note” the summit reference when you start the activation.

From the manual:
Transmitted CW is logged in UPPER CASE. If you enter TX TEST mode, characters will be logged in
lower case—useful for entering callsigns or other notes. Tapping MSG temporarily enters TX TEST
mode for quick note entry.

But just uploading a raw FLE file to the DB with multiple MYSOTAs works fine.

1 Like

mni tnx for fast reply
Unfortunately i have wasted downloadet KH1 file
i will give it a try next sota summits
FLE upload i have never tried - will do next activation
best 73 and hny
klaus

my paddles does not only move left/right but rather up and down
noticed that the metal threaded sleeves are little longer as the sleeves of the plasic paddles
so i honed down the metal sleeves and the behavior of the key is better :slight_smile:
i have already magnets on order - so will see when they arrived
73 and hny
klaus

See direct message.

I like your pencil! I also prefer a pencil. I bought this pencil which fits perfectly:

ZEBRA Mini Mechanical Pencil, 0.5 mm, Silver Body (TS-3)

It is not the most comfortable pencil to write with because it is so short / small diameter. I use it as a backup.

HNY es 73

2 Likes

Suggestion: sharpen both ends in case you break the lead…

3 Likes

i always have my “EDC” Knife with me to re-sharpen the tip of the pencil :laughing:

73 and hny

6 Likes

did the Magnet Mod
it has not the desired result
the angle of the pressed paddle is to large - the magnet came with the side near to the other - so to weak push up between booth magnets results
had to rebuilt the spring

have a 3rd Party Paddle as Backup on order…

Need stronger magnets. Also, I set mine so they were flush and not inset. I have been very happy with the magnets… much better than the spring.

tnx for the info
tomorrow i will be on OE/ST-391 and testing a softer spring from a ballpen in snowing wx

heavy snowfall and max 10m of sight
did only 6 qso´s

5 Likes

3rd Party Paddle
see N6ARA.com
After several iterations, I think I nailed the KH1 key interface from a mechanical perspective. The crooked connector made it tricky to get right, but if field testing of this new TinyPaddle Plug goes well, we should have 3D files and printed units available in the coming weeks!

5 Likes

A major USP of the KH1 seems to be that you can go skiing without a backpack (on-piste or nearby obviously) and still get a casual HF activation in, as the rig is small enough to fit in a large jacket pocket. The weight bothered me a bit though, so I replaced the oversized stock battery with something smaller/lighter:

A 650 mAh 3S LiPo RC battery was used along with a simple BMS PCB from China and a 3D printed spacer.

This modification shaved off about 85 grams – doesn’t sound like a lot, but it makes a very noticeable difference in a pocket. Given the KH1’s low current drain, the battery should last for about two hours of continuous operation. It charges fine using the internal charger with its ~250 mA charging current.

A happy KH1 activator on HB/GR-109

15 Likes