New Elecraft Rig: KH1 (Part 1)

I know the KH1 isn’t for every op, but I think it’s an amazing option. I’m pretty sure the KH1 is Wayne’s passion project and I think it was a pretty big gamble–betting a lot of money on a CW minimalist rig–but I feel will pay off. The first time I met Wayne at Hamvention (at the Elecraft booth–in 2007?) and I was in the market for the KX1, he showed me how the KX1 could be used for pedestrian portable operating. He told me it was his mission to miniaturize HF transceivers. I’d say he’s done a pretty good job. I mean, since then, they’ve produced the KX3 and KX2.

I, personally, love the form factor of the KH1. I’m a CW op, I use those bands, I’m a fan of the AX1 antenna (basically the same optional whip with the KH1), and I love low-impact, low-profile, speedy activations. This radio fits my lifestyle and typical activation windows (which are shorter than most SOTA ops). My family life is pretty hectic and busy–a radio like this opens the door to quicker SOTA activations. Plus, if I’m being brutally honest with myself? I’ve kind of wanted a radio like this since I was 8 years old.

In other words, it was a “take my money” situation on this end.

And, yes, the KH1 is pricey for most of us. Good thing there are some brilliant lower-cost options out there like the QMX, SW-3B, Mountain Toppers, TR-35, QCX-Minis, (tr)uSDX, etc. etc. True: they’re not all-inclusive, pedestrian portable, but you can build field kits around them that will pretty much get you close to the mark. And if you already own a KX2? You have a more versatile and capable radio than the KH1.

I will say that Elecraft still designs and manufactures their products in California, USA. They would have wider profit margins, lower prices, and faster production runs if they did not. They pay competitive US wages and (important here in the States) provide benefits like health care insurance to their employees.

Again, my own personal take? I was happy that Elecraft didn’t go in the direction of a KX4 (something I imagine looking like a blend of the KX3 and an IC-705–native FT8, etc.). While I think it would have wider appeal in many ways, I am in the niche of our hobby that prefers smaller, more simple radios.

72 & Cheers
Thomas
K4SWL

24 Likes

Fully agree with Thomas,

At first look KH1 looked weird for me but after I slept with idea about very fast deployment when you have 30-60 minutes during forest, sea, etc walk/weekend with family - idea having KH1 almost bit my greed. With regular setup you have to spend about 30-40 minutes to deploy antenna and prepare working place. KH1 allows to do this in few minutes.

Thinking about DIY kit based on e.g. QMX+ATU-10 looks promising but required a lot of effort (time) to have these items look nice and packed in single small case.

BTW,
Could someone clarify, is it possible to connect external paddles via AUX (3.5 jack)?

4 Likes

Wayne talking and showing the KH1 at Pacifcon SOTA lunch:

9 Likes

Yes! From the KH1 manual:
A keying device fitted with a 3.5 mm (1/8”) stereo plug can be plugged into the KEY/DATA jack. This jack doubles as serial port for firmware updates and remote control

4 Likes

In his description of the KH1, Wayne mentioned what I think is an essential goal. To be on HF qrv in 25 seconds from your pocket. Just like a VHF handheld radio.

Compliments!

73 Chris

5 Likes

Although I understand the sentiment about getting QRV quickly especially for us oldies in winter, I think that’s wishful thinking. When does the stopwatch start? It would take longer than that just to wind out the wire counterpoise needed to use the AX1. You might demonstrate doing it in 25s in some situations, but can one do it most of the time?

But even if realistically it’s a few minutes, I would settle for that. But as others have written above, it’s erecting an external antenna that dominates the set-up time. So, in my eyes, the issue is not, say KH1 vs KX2 set-up times but rather, can a AX1-like antenna get 4+ contacts on 40m and 30m before I freeze up.

3 Likes

Did you watch the video posted above? Most of the 25s are used to unwind the counterpoise :wink:

If you count from stopping with your backpack on your back, I’m quite sure it will take you less than 1 min to be QRV with the KH1 and telescopic antenna.

1 Like

While Wayne was speaking at lunch, I was at the end of the table with a KX3 chasing N6MTB, K6STR, NSØTA, K9PM, WU7H & KE6MT. Single call with all six. Antenna was inverted L up through the white umbrellas. KE6MT was using Wayne’s KH1 from the table for that QSO, visible in the center-right of this photo with whip collapsed.

Elliott, K6EL

IMG_1552

5 Likes

Thanks for the chase EL. I was hoping someone would chase me with the KH1. I’ve had a bunch of QSOs with KH1s (AC7MA, WG0AT), but so far have not been chased by one!

Really looking forward to getting my hands on a KH1…

2 Likes

Yes, I did. And the wire just dropped to his feet, not laid out in a line on the ground. I don’t like to be picky but if they are going to make claims about 25s to QRV then I’m going to push back with a bit of realism at any hype.

Also, I wouldn’t carry a £1200 rig [guess at UK retailer mark-up] in my back pocket on most of the summit walks I do. It would be in a nice bag inside my rucksack like my precious KX2.

In case someone accuses me of being negative, I’ll repeat what I said above (for those who skipped my comments), it’s an impressive rig, and will probably address an untapped market for quick-to-deploy portable ops, and I predict they will sell like hot cakes.

2 Likes

Does not have 10M and the price would be pretty hideous in Australia, freight and lousy exchange rate.

Think I will be staying with the KX2, far more versatile and have seen ops modding the KX2 so it can be used as a handheld.

Wal VK2WP

3 Likes

The aesthetics of the design do nothing for me I’m afraid. I wonder is the form factor suited to strapping it to your thigh?

1 Like

No. It was designed to be held in one hand while your other hand works the paddle and does the logging. I think it is a very cool form factor.

Strapping may work; there are attachment points at the back. Question is how the knobs will be rendered difficult to access. Looking forward to detailed reviews!

Here’s a recording of the full presentation (57 min) on Elecraft’s KH1 by Wayne N6KR at Pacificon, originally shared by Roberto K6KM at Wayne’s presentation at Pacíficon KH1 :

4 Likes

I can’t find any information on the self-build kit. Does anyone know how intricate it is? (My eyes aren’t what they used to be).

1 Like

The poor man’s pedestrian mobile handheld - if he ever really feels like using /pm, the female BNC connector could simply be replaced with a male one :wink:

5 Likes

KX2 and poor???
ok, after buying :wink:

12 Likes

The user manual reads "When LOGGING is ON, the KH1 will record up to 32K of transmitted CW text.
Time/date/band/mode are also captured for use in extracting QSO data … The text can then be manually processed or copied/pasted into a third-party application for automatic extraction (not provided by Elecraft)."

Would someone who has access to a KH-1 recorded log please post it here ?

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 100 replies. Continue discussion at New Elecraft Rig: KH1 (Part 2).