Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

My nomination for "best" SOTA beer

I expect this thread will get some interesting entries along the way.

For the “best” SOTA beer, I would like to nominate Säntis Kristall Spezial. It’s named after HB/AI-001 Säntis, and I verified with the brewery that the summit is actually depicted on the label. Best of all, it tastes really good, and it’s brewed by a family-run operation that hasn’t been bought out by one of the international conglomerates. I buy Appenzeller beer whenever I can for that reason (and the taste).

73 and cheers!
Paul HB9DST

3 Likes

May Hill Summit (which is G/WB-019) is a rather nice traditional beer.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/may-hill-summit/166099/

I’m extremely biased however, and the best SOTA beer around is actually Cleeve Hill (G/CE-0010) brewed in my kitchen :grin:

8 Likes

G/SP-015

3 Likes

I was gigging in Leeds last night and this was rather tasty:

G/NP-028

G/SP-005

And not too bad a price. Cheers :yum:

(;>J

Somebody has to mention this one!

http://www.ooberstock.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/800x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/thwaites_wainwrights.jpg

Brian

2 Likes
  1. I like the price (if that is for a pint)
  2. Now we all know what Tom does between gigs!

73 Glyn

Of course you could get a little more into it with this one…

http://www.hesketbrewery.co.uk/beers/helvellyn-gold/

Pity we didn’t take this up the mountain for Paul’s Goat activation.

Surely the best SOTA beer is the first one after an activation?

3 Likes

Ha, I grew up on this stuff

Named after YO/EC-049. The track to the summit actually passes through “Beer valley” and there are several beer manufacturers in the area (apparently the water is pretty good).

@HB9DST: Paul, if you’ll search your photo archive from last year’s YO SOTA Marathon, when we were returning from the night spent at YO/MC-006 I took a picture of you next to a rock called “The Sphynx”. Bucegi is the name of that massif (3x 10-point summits):

I think we’ll soon have enough beer summits for a new association :).

Cheers,
Razvan YO9IRF / M0HZH

1 Like

Time to respond to Paul’s challenge with the romanian version of the SOTA beer:

The Bucegi mountain area is a very well known touristic destination in the middle of Romania, with some of the highest summits in the country: YO/MC-006 Omu, YO/MC-009 Costila & YO/MC-217 Coltii Obarsiei. The Sphinx depicted inside the medallion exist in reality in the middle of the Bucegi area.
And yes, Paul was there in 2015 with me :slight_smile:

Crazy thing… me & Razvan responding in the same time with the same beer…

I distinctly remember stopping for that photo.

After the ufb activation of HB/AI-006 together with Manuel HB9DQM last Sunday, I happily enjoyed my first bottle of “Alpstein Bock”:

This is clearly a typical SOTA beer, dedicated to all the summits of the Alpstein region and it even got an alpine ibex on it´s label - which is actually a goat! Beside that we also see HB/AI-001 (Säntis) with it´s broadcast tower and a hiker carrying a heavy load.
Can it get better? :wink:

With it´s 8% alcohol it is a bit strong and should better be consumed after the descent. :joy:

So much beer, so little time!

Brian

1 Like

G/SP-001

1 Like

I don’t drink so no beer from me but I am quite partial to Scotland’s other nation drink.

After any summit, any time.

Not recommended for Skye though, magnetic rocks are a potential problem :smile:

(;>J