Multi-day activation, how to pack your equipment efficiently

Hi All,

I am planning to make a few 2-3 day activation expeditions this year, and I would welcome your ideas how to pack equipment efficiently and safely.

At present I pack all my gear into 4ltr Curver plastic box and just shove it into 36ltr backpak with some cloths, mat and food. For one day activation this is more than ok and there is still plenty of space left.

However, above method is not the most efficient, as a box is bulky. After packing my sleeping bag, mat, tent, spare cloths and food there is very little room left. Even when I manage to squeeze Curver box inside it looks strange and unsteady.

During activations I use mcHF QRP (similar to KX3 in size) EFHW antenna, mini DX-Mast and 3.5Ah LiFePO4 battery pack. I am activating in SSB mode, and learning CW.

Any ideas, pictures of how you pack your gear would be very welcome.

73 de Marek

3 Likes

When I go backpacking, or on long day hikes, I bring my MTR 3B. This is CW only, obviously. The radio and everything except the pole fit into a 1-liter ziplock bag.

If I’m planning lots of operating, I’ll bring a bigger battery. I’m not sure I could bring much more radio without having to buy a bigger backpack or leave some important stuff at home.

6 Likes

Hallo Marek

For longer outdoor activities (hiking, kayaking, biking) I have always relied on soft wraps in different colours. The fixed boxes take up too much space. Many small units are better than one big one.
When it gets wet, zipper bags are good. You can also vacuum seal things like for freezing. Think about what you pack and where.
Sensitive things were sometimes put in a sock for protection.
In the end, it’s always exciting to see what you haven’t used! :smile:

73 Armin

6 Likes

Oh yes… :smile::+1:

1 Like

Hi Marek,

Very interesting topic :slight_smile: As you know I’ve been on a couple of multi-day hikes with radio equipment and those are some of my learnings:

• CW is king - like you I am learning CW and I bought a SW-3B primarily for multi-day hikes. With some careful selection of accessories (paddle, antenna etc.) you end-up with a very small and light package.
  • Several boxes/pouches are much more packable than a large on e.g. you can put your mcHF in a tight box, and all the rest in another small box or pouch. I like to carry my FT-818 in its leather pouch, inside a waterproof bag (the FT-818 is bombproof, so I think this is offers enough protection), and all the rest in a small Lowepro pouch.
  • Carefully choose the equipment that you carry with your radio: can you use a smaller, lighter battery if you only activate 1-2 summits? Can you compromise and use a smaller mast? Maybe a fishing pole will do? Or even a throw line if your summits are covered by trees? Maybe use electronic logging and ditch pen and paper?
  • Bonus: drop the tent a get a tarp :slight_smile:

Romain

4 Likes

Hi Romain @SP6SUD ,

Regarding your bonus tip ie. use of tarp instead of tent.

These expeditions will be done with my XYL as companion, so at this stage, I am affraid, tarp is out of the question. These will be her first camping trips under the tent. I managed to convinced her to go after showing her some pictures of sun sets and sun risies in the mountains.

So wish me luck guys that she enjoys it and there will be more expeditions to come

Thanks for the comments so far, very helpfull. Any KX3 users here? How do you pack your radio and other equipment?

@DM3FAM Marcel will do in a few days most likely.

73 de Marek

5 Likes

Hi Marek

Or you may reduce your pole. I removed some outer Segments of my and reduced a lot of weight but only 15 % of length. Fortunately I got two fitting caps for the “new” pole.

73 Ludwig

3 Likes

…or consider whether you need the pole at all. If there are trees, you can pull up the antenna with a string that you throw over a branch with a piece of wood or stone.
I have also attached it to a hiking stick stuck in a bush…

73 Armin

2 Likes

I have a KX3 with side handles and the removeable plastic cover. When activating I pack it in a plastic food container with removeable lid for protection. The container is big enough for the KX3, microphone, pen/pencil, and small leads.

73’s
David

1 Like

I have a few [Karrimor] dry bags in different sizes, 2L (red), 5L (orange) and 10L (yellow) to house my rig and other radio gear that must be kept dry. You can deliberately trap some air in when sealing the bag to give some cushioning. Either way, the volume occupied is always smaller than when using hard-shell containers. You can wrap the dry bags in clothes, etc if you need extra padding. The different colours let you tell at a glance whether it’s you rig bag or your clothes bag.

4 Likes

Hi All

I don’t bother with the compression sack for the sleeping bag and tend to pack it inside the rucksack with a liner inside or a waterproof bag. You place the transciever inside the sleeping bag and then pack the rest of the sleeping bag inside the pack.
Generally use an Osprey Exos 58l and pack equipment not likely to be needed immediately ie clothes, sleep mat.

4 Likes

I have the exact same case. I use a SOTAbeams bag instead. It allows me to clip my “shack in a bag” to my belt when setting up so I have everything I need at my fingertips.

3 Likes

Hi all,
For long, multi-day hikes, use a Gregory Baltoro 85 pack, G.I. bivy bag and lightweight quilt. When in places without water, have a 3-liter internal bag, plus as much as another 5 liters. I’m heavy and very slow, so often water-limited. Rig is KX2 or KX3, self-contained, (connect antenna, turn on power and operate) plus antenna, throw lines and weight, or mast, if trees or bushes not likely. Rig is put into a Sea & Summit bag, with 1 layer of plastic foam. Pics of KX3 rig shown. 6 AH Lipo batt contained inside “desk”.

Initial pack weights run 30-plus pounds all-up. Trail runner types go by me at what seems like the speed of sound.

All Best, Ken

3 Likes

Hi Marek: I did a 3 day backpacking activation once - but I had a much larger backpack - 75L. There is no way I could have done it with a 36L pack with the addition of food, stove, sleeping bag, small 1 man tent, sleeping pad, extra clothing. And, my radio equipment is very minimal - even smaller and lighter than your setup.

Perhaps you could borrow a larger pack from a friend?

1 Like

I am a big fan of the generic go pro cases and use kaizen foam (a kind of layered foam that you can set the depth of a pocket) for my multi day trips.

48L pack is my preferred although I use a jetboil and it is bulky. This year I have a meths stove, we’ll see how good it is. My walking buddy swears by them.

1 Like

Oh boy Marek there will be a lot riding on this one! :grinning:

@M0NOM Hi Mark, yes you are right, but I am optimistic.

My XYL loves hiking, so one day activations are no problem. The big question is about wind and other noises at night once sleeping in the tent. She is a very light sleeper. I hope that ear defenders will take care of these disruptions :wink:

Thanks Guys for all comments, they gave me some ideas and I am currently reviewing my equipment and must have list. I should post some details after the weekend.

73 de Marek

1 Like

A change of diet will help with that.

2 Likes

Do you mean packing something like this for a better sleep? image

4 Likes

My advice:

don’t pick a date near the summer solstice like I did - at our latitude the sun was only down for about 5 hours and the Sky Larks were up singing at 4.30am.

don’t assume there is a pub at the end of your descent - check first. I had to walk another hour to get to the nearest watering hole, and I’d had enough by then.

3 Likes