In reply to M0CGH:

I would take the stance that KX3’s (& K3) do not class as home
constructed.

Ah, but where do you draw the line? I believe Foundation licensees
are allowed to construct transmitters only from commercially-sold
kits.

Do you have to make your own components (capacitors, valves, etc) to
qualify?

Where to draw the line depends on the main object of the challenge, I suppose, though there seems to be some agreement that plugging modules together would probably not be in the spirit… (That’s not to denigrate those who build KX3 kits, they are excellent and I’d love one! The kit, that is, not the assembler. doh.)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4ISJ:

I created a box with lots of hardware and then inserted 2 boards and
did the screws up…

A way of saving a little money, and maybe for learning what’s where and how to get at it (or not), but not something to get much constructor’s pleasure from.

Funny thing is I only ever made 3 QSOs on the beast!

Not made any QSOs on the rigs I’ve built. The RockMite does service as a Morse practice oscillator sometimes. The Radlet is sitting un-boxed waiting for me to think of a use for it.

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to MM0FMF:

The other challenge I’ve been thinking of would be open to anyone and that would be something where the contacts are made on either 30m or 12m. Both bands are under used IMHO but more so 12m.

30m - underused? Sounds like you need to get a decent antenna for that frequency. The pile ups around 10.118 are virtually as large as those around 7.032, usually providing 30+ QSOs per summit.

on the other hand…

12m - I totally agree - this is the forgotten band. I don’t recall seeing a commercial kit that covers the frequency, so to build something would probably be homebrew or adaptation of a kit. It could be a real challenge to get something up and running and make some S2S contacts.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Ah no, two separate challenges. One for those who build gear and one for operating. So a homebrew challenge on any bands and an operating challenge on 30m and 12m. Not everyone is confident to build gear and as we age some of us no longer have the dexterity or sight to continue building. But we can all operate.

12m is seriously unused… just 911 QSOs recorded. Somebody must have been busy on 30m because the QSO count has shot up from the levels I remember. Still it’s a band which is neither LF nor HF and I find it interesting.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald,

I’ve done 18 activations working the 12m band. Apart from November 2011, operating from G/SP-013, when I ran into a pile-up of 40 stations using the Antron-99 IIRC, I’ve always found the band hard work :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G3CWI:

Some people outsource their building. Will that be allowed? I would suggest not.

…or in other words G3CWI recommends disqualifying M1EYP from entering this event.

Cheers, mate.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

…or in other words G3CWI recommends disqualifying M1EYP from
entering this event.

Cheers, mate.

Tom M1EYP

:frowning:

In reply to M1EYP:

Is learning to solder really out of the question Tom?

73 Rick

In reply to thread:

A 12m Challenge would be interesting. Nice easy sized antennas and seasonal sporadic-E to look forward to, plus no contest traffic - perfecto!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

entering this event.

Not at all; can I recommend the Rockmite from Small Wonder Labs? It is easy to build and the thrill of making a contact with something you built yourself cannot be underestimated. Building one is well within your abilities.

Richard G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy,

I still don’t see the true operating challenge of 30m. Agreed it is a very interesting band and I’ve worked across the pond from summits several times with the 817 - from home also with the same kit. My early HF contacts were with a 30m homebrew valve TX running 10W output and I worked down into VK6 with that.

My feeling is that the operating challenge should be for the higher bands where there is less SOTA activity - 17m to 10m. Then have band by band challenges for the homebuilt / homebrew category - separate because each band presents a different challenge.

Maybe too OTT for what you have in mind?

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G8TMV:

In reply to G4ISJ:

There were only 100 this time…

The limit was the number of enclosures

However there are more enclosures being made, mostly so that people
with older MTR kits can buy one. With luck there might be a few more
kits too.

Colin G8TMV

Steven has confirmed that there was 149 kits available this time, the batch was again of 150 but he kept the last one for himself :slight_smile:

73, Colin

In reply to G3CWI:

entering this event.

If I can get my 5 year old grandson to successfully build a radio kit, including soldering, then I am sure one of us could tutor Tom :o))

(Dodging the hot end of the soldering iron being waved near my face was a workout in itself!!)

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

I am sure one of us could tutor Tom :o))

I would be happy to volunteer. However, he would have to locate a suitable pub.

In reply to G3CWI:

Not at all; can I recommend the Rockmite from Small Wonder Labs? It is
easy to build and the thrill of making a contact with something you
built yourself cannot be underestimated. Building one is well within
your abilities.

I have worked 7 countries on 40m CW with my Tuna Tin Two transmitter. It puts out about 300 mW. And yes … I DID solder the components myself! I incorporated a simple VXO so I can QSY +/- 3 kHz which is plenty to dodge QRM.

The snag is that you need a separate receiver.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to GM4TOE:

I am sure one of us could tutor Tom :o))

I would be happy to volunteer. However, he would have to locate a
suitable pub.

The Tinners Arms in Zennor? :slight_smile:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I could nip along and do Commando Ridge again.

In reply to G3CWI:

A superb route, though a little harder than it used to be, I’ve been told recently, since a hold broke off the dierdre round the corner on the first pitch. They’ve gone back to calling it Bosigran Ridge, too, which IMHO is a shame. It might be fun to try and tempt Tom up Wicca Pillar! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to all:
This looks good :-

“Etherkit’s CC1 beta QRP monoband CW transceiver kit is discussed in Dave AA7EE’s blog The Etherkit CC1 1st Beta – A Trail-Friendly QRP CW Transceiver – Dave Richards AA7EE . The tiny, VFO-controlled transceiver can produce 2-3 Watts out and uses mostly SMD components. This looks to be the first rival to the famous KD1JV ATS and MTR series transceiver kits.”

I’ve no chance of building it though - its nearly all SMD:-)(shaking-iron may destroy)

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

This looks good :-

"Etherkit’s CC1 beta QRP monoband CW transceiver kit is discussed in
Dave AA7EE’s blog The Etherkit CC1 1st Beta – A Trail-Friendly QRP CW Transceiver – Dave Richards AA7EE .

Yes, I’ve been following that one with interest.
It really is a little beauty and one that I will no doubt add to my kit bag, once it becomes available.
You can never have too many tiny rigs!

Pete