MTR second run

In reply to G4ISJ:

There were only 100 this time…

The limit was the number of enclosures

However there are more enclosures being made, mostly so that people with older MTR kits can buy one. With luck there might be a few more kits too.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G4ISJ:
Does anyone know if Steve is going to do any ATS-4B in the near future ?

73 Andrew G4AFI

In reply to G4ISJ:

In reply to M0CGH:

I’m thinking a 40m EU event would be fun :slight_smile:

I’d be up for that if you organise it!

I think we have sufficient users of homebrew transceivers to organise a homebrew challenge along the lines of the PP3 challenge in the past. Not just MTRs but any homebrewed rig or kit.

I’ll come up with some initial ideas and we can take it from there. Something to start later in the year when every one ahs built their toy.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I like that idea, Andy. I suggest you have a phone section, too, its surprising how many kits there are for SSB when you start looking!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4AFI:

Does anyone know if Steve is going to do any ATS-4B in the near future

I think that there is a problem with parts being obsolete and unobtainable in quantity for both the ATS3 and ATS4 series rigs.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8ADD:

Well that was going to be one of the key points. Whatever the homebrew challenge may be it has to be equitable for all SOTA activators and chasers. So yes there will be a phone section. Anything that cuts out a significant chunk of the user base by design seems poor.

The last fun challenge was the PP3 challenge where it was “how many QSO can you make on a single PP3 battery”. The challenge was mode-free though in that case CW would seem to be an obvious way to do it.

So yes, Elecraft K1,K2, MKARS80, Howes kits, MTRs, ATS’s, RockMites, Walford kits, pure home brew, plus many, many more.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sounds like an idea that could grow Andy. Of course I’d be interested, but my problem is committing to activating time.

You’ve already stated above, but I think there is an important distinction between home built equipment and home brew equipment.

I wonder how many activation have taken place with home built phone rigs :slight_smile:

I quite happy to leave organising of any activity to you Andy :slight_smile:

73,Colin
(almost entirely equipped with home built gear)

In reply to M0CGH:

I missed it!

I was melting solder on 2 kits, a digital swr meter from G6ALU and the Weber tribander and got so involved I neglected to check the news from the group.

Nevermind, I hope Steve will kit another MTR, I’ll get in on the MTR Sota Club then. Well done to those who were a bit more alert/awake than I, looking forward to working a new batch of MTRs soon.

Ian MM0GYX

In reply to MM0FMF:

I think we have sufficient users of homebrew transceivers to organise
a homebrew challenge along the lines of the PP3 challenge in the past.
Not just MTRs but any homebrewed rig or kit.

I like the sound of it Andy, my SW20+ needs more air time.

Ian, MM0GYX

In reply to M0CGH:

In reply to MM0FMF:

I wonder how many activation have taken place with home built phone
rigs :slight_smile:

Well, I’ve done two activations with my homebrew 4m SSB rig. As I built it in 1977, it probably counts as vintage equipment too!

Closer to topic, I got MTR #63 at around 10:00am yesterday, so I look forward to joining in any home constructed challenge :o)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to MM0GYX:

In reply to M0CGH:

I missed it!

I was melting solder on 2 kits, a digital swr meter from G6ALU and the
Weber tribander and got so involved I neglected to check the news from
the group.

Oh dear Ian, at least you have a good excuse AND you are already qualified to take part in the proposed home built challenge! :slight_smile:

I have had my eye on the SWR meter for quite a while, I like the look of that kit. I might buy one at Blackpool is Steve G6ALU is there again.

73, Colin

In reply to G4AZS:

Well, I’ve done two activations with my homebrew 4m SSB rig. As I
built it in 1977, it probably counts as vintage equipment too!

I got MTR #63 at around 10:00am yesterday, so I look
forward to joining in any home constructed challenge :o)

Great Adrian!

Congratulations on the homebrew 4m SSB rig, I am still to attempt a homebrew SSB rig. I have thought about it many times, but never actually got my finger out and started it!

I did an activation with an MKARS80 a few months ago, it seemed to work quite well :slight_smile:

Well done on securing an MTR, I didn’t realise that so few were being made available.

73, Colin

In reply to MM0FMF:

Some people outsource their building. Will that be allowed? I would suggest not. Also is a KX3 really “built”?..

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Some people outsource their building. Will that be allowed? I would
suggest not. Also is a KX3 really “built”?..

Good point: as I understand it there is no soldering involved so it is just a case of assembling modules. I would say that something like an MKARS80 is built, and nobody in his right mind would take a Walford kit into the field without some modification and fitting an enclosure…mind you, I’m waiting to see what the Minster is like!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

Hmmm, not sure about the outsource issue.

I would take the stance that KX3’s (& K3) do not class as home constructed.

I wish they did do a proper KX3 kit, that would be an awesome project!

Colin, M0CGH

In reply to G3CWI:

Some people outsource their building

Maybe we can treat outsourcing in a similar vein to using club calls. With a club call the log shows the club call but the points go to operator. Possibly with outsourced construction, the log shows the operator call but the points go to the builder.

:wink:

Seriously though, the NA SOTA pages are full of messages of delight from NA SOTAists who have secured a kit from the latest batch and along with other “homebrewed kit” we do have a viable number of activators either side of the pond to make it worthhwile to try and come up with a challenge. So that’s homebrew gear sorted in a yet-to-be-sorted way. The other challenge I’ve been thinking of would be open to anyone and that would be something where the contacts are made on either 30m or 12m. Both bands are under used IMHO but more so 12m.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Maybe we can treat outsourcing in a similar vein to using club calls.
With a club call the log shows the club call but the points go to
operator. Possibly with outsourced construction, the log shows the
operator call but the points go to the builder.

Sign me up!

I can offer outsource services! (Woohoo, watch the points rack up!)

Colin, M0CGH
Kit Builder Extraordinaire :slight_smile:

In reply to M0CGH:

I would take the stance that KX3’s (& K3) do not class as home
constructed.

I’d agree. I “assembled” my KX3. It’s akin to playing with mecanno.

I created a box with lots of hardware and then inserted 2 boards and did the screws up…

The last rig I actually classed as home built was a triband CW/SSB transceiver in about 1990.
The build included quite a bit of original design, all PCB’s designed, hand drawn and etched, soldering , wiring, testing, alignment and failures along the way!

It has 1/10th the performance of the KX3 which took about 2 hours to “build” as opposed to well over 6 months of daily angst.
Funny thing is I only ever made 3 QSOs on the beast!
Last time I powered it on it let some of the magic smoke out:-(
(tantalum beads don’t survive 25 years non-use)

Pete

In reply to M0CGH:

I would take the stance that KX3’s (& K3) do not class as home
constructed.

Ah, but where do you draw the line? I believe Foundation licensees are allowed to construct transmitters only from commercially-sold kits.

Do you have to make your own components (capacitors, valves, etc) to qualify?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

A commercially sold kit would be fine Walt, I think the main criteria would be that you soldered the components yourself.

The Elecraft KX3 and K3 use previously soldered and tested boards which are mated together and mechanically fixed - just like Pete says, like Meccano.

73, Colin