MS0TA - That's A New One!

Hopefully we can both be on the same time. Not sure about traffic tomorrow, 105 miles to the lay-by for the summit, morning traffic, maybe a bit icy/frosty. Then not too sure about my legs… last decent climb was 2 months ago.

For me, it’s an easy 20-mins cycle then 15 mins pushing the bike up to the summit (too steep to cycle). So, if you’re significantly late, it would be good to get a self-spot from you en route or at the layby (with your new ETA at your summit) so I can delay my departure if need be.

Good idea. Anquet says it’s 1hr32 for me to climb this from the parking. I’ll post something when I’m about 1/2 way up giving 45mins (give or take) for you to make the trip.

Guru

How do you do that zero on a keyboard? I’ve always written my zeros (ex Royal Navy) like that. But I don’t know how to do it on a keyboard.

Dave

Ø=Alt+0216 typed on the numeric keyboard.
ø=Alt+155 typed on the numeric keyboard.

If you go here, you’ll get all of them:

Guru

1 Like

Thanks Guru (EA2IF/P**) for the contact on 30m CW and thanks to Andy (MS0TA/P) for the S2S on 60m. Andy, you seemed to be working through a SSB pileup and I wasn’t sure if I knew how to use my KX2 with the internal mic (I’ll need to read the UM as to its location). Well it worked anyway.

The bike ride was fine on the roads but longer and tougher off-road up to the summit which is why I was late. But great fun. At the end I was working US and Canada on 20m CW and I would have liked to have stayed but was getting cold after sitting for so long. It proved (to me) Guru’s point that stateside is open to business on 20m.

73, Andy

Correction: not /P with EA2IF

Hi Andy,
You did work Andy MSØTA/P on S2S but not me. I noticed and got surprised when you told me TNX fer S2S at the end of our QSO on 30m, but I wasn’t activating. I was home and my callsign was EA2IF not EA2IF/P. I didn’t tell you anything to avoid slowing down your activation and making other chasers wait, but. please, correct your log.
Right after our QSO, I chased Andy MSØTA/P, who was just 500Hz up from you.
Unfortunately I missed you both on 20m because I was busy cooking lunch.
I hope you had a good activation.

Guru

Guro

I should have mentioned I’m using a Mac - Sorry! :anguished:

imagen
imagen
See it here:
https://slcr.wsu.edu/help-pages/keyboards-osx/

Good luck!

Guru

1 Like

TKS Guru ØØØØØØØØØ :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

Bah, that’s not cold.

if it had stayed sunny then I’d have stayed another 45mins… started good.

But it was a tad windy and miserable on the summit.

Hey… Winter Bonus hasn’t started yet. All that climbing and cold for only 4 points :frowning: Actually the views were just awesome when they appeared.

Thanks for S2S.

4 Likes

That plantation has grow a lot since I was last there!

I understand more why you were confused I’d activated so many GM/SS & GM/CS summits and few WS. Well they’re as far away as G/LD, and they’re steep and hard work. So for the cost I could get more points. But oh my sweet baby Jesus do they look good with a bit of snow and sun. I’ll post some more but I’m just off to collect the “time-share” dog.

Nearly opposite weather from when we did it at the height of the Glencoe hottest place in the UK heatwave in June. Stunning views in all directions from the top.

Steep and hard work, yes, but so infinitely rewarding! I’ve climbed and walked all over Scotland but Glencoe is…, well, it’s the soul and centre of my love of the mountains. So many summits are just rounded lumps as if some power has dumped playdough and let it grass over, the WS summits (and the western NS summits) were carved and you can still see the tool marks. Most summits take fitness and perhaps endurance, these summits tend to demand skill and committment, particularly in winter though they are not kind in summer. Though they are quite accessible by road and rail they do tend to get less SOTA traffic than they deserve and I guess that is quite understandable. A pity, though…