Mountain Goat JA1CTV

Can’t you just subtract the short path distance from the circumference of the earth (approx 40000km) ?

Martyn M1MAJ

We’ll have to take this into a different topic so we don’t hijack this thread. It is the calculation of the intermediate angles that is the tricky bit, as the direction changes each time the signal bounces. Whilst the path looks linear across the Earth the angle changes constantly. I’ll have another think about it.

With the limitations of having to represent this on a 2D Wolrd map, this is basically the way I see the signals travelled via the LP.

As you can see, the signals travelled all the time though regions exposed to sunlight, therefore ionized D layer at the ionosphere.
Cheers,

Guru

1 Like

I’m working on a solution for Google Earth, but got distracted last night because I know my equation to work out skip distance based on the signal elevation angle is a complete fudge and very wrong. How long ago did anyone apply the law of Cosines?

Regards, Mark.

1 Like

Not much in my case, as I had to help my daughter with some homework from school on that only last year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I got received the trophy with thanks.

Toru K JA1CTV / JH0CJH

10 Likes

いいですね!僕はあと4年間かなぁ~ :joy:

1 Like

Congratulations Toru.
A prize piece on the shack bench.
It is nice to chase you sometimes during your activations and I hope you keep going at SOTA for a longer time.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

2 Likes

Take san
Thank you for your comment. Really glad to be here.
Toru K

Hi Ian,
Thank you always for your chase call. From now it will be good condition, then much easier to have a contact. Take care covid and see you on air.
Toru K

1 Like

It took me quite a while, but I’ve finally managed to merge both audio files of our QSO, the one I recoded in my shack and the one recorded my Seiji-san while he was activating his SOTA in Japan.
You can see the result here: https://youtu.be/oma5cJkz-f4
I hope you’ll find it interesting.
Let me explain that some errors can be heard in my morse code heard in Japan as well as in the JG4LCS/4 morse code heard in my radio, but they are due to the jitters in the internet signal involved in my remote station.
I have recently changed the internet at my remote QTH from terrestrial signal received from a repeater on top of a nearby mountain and a dish antenna in my QTH to an optic fibre, so I hope the mentionned internet signal jitters problem will be minimal from now on.

Guru

3 Likes