Mountain Goat JA1CTV

Yes,
Conditions are getting very good.
I chased JG4LCS/4 on JA/OY-060 this morning on 20m CW via LP.
He was also chased by EA4R, EA4M, EA4BOC and also an EA3 whose callsign I don’t remember.
I think other Europeans also chased him.
He must have got an interesting log full of DX.
I’ll have a look at his activator log later.
Hmmm, things on the air are getting more and more interesting.

Guru

2 Likes

Congratulations on achieving Mountain Goat status.

Amazing! I may need to plot his log on Google Earth with contacts like that.

Fully support an EU ↔ JA Event.

Regards, Mark.

1 Like

Congratulations, great achievement!

Best
Martin

1 Like

Longest contact from JA/OY-060 activated by @JG4LCS was with @EA4R :

G4LCS/4EA4R

Date: 2022-01-10
Time (UTC): 07:55
Band: 20m
Mode: CW
Freq: Mhz
Gnd Dist: 10,667 km
Bearing: 328.723°
Sky dist: 10,938 km
Bounces: 3
Bounce Alt: 403 km

Propagation Mode: F2

Here is your contact @EA2IF:

JG4LCS/4EA2IF

Date: 2022-01-10
Time (UTC): 07:49
Band: 20m
Mode: CW
Freq: Mhz
Gnd Dist: 10,299 km
Bearing: 328.979°
Sky dist: 10,579 km
Bounces: 3
Bounce Alt: 403 km

Propagation Mode: F2

1 Like

Bear in mind, Mark, that those distances are calculated short path and the QSOs this morning were all via Long Path. I was beaming about 215º
So they all should be longer distances.
My estimate is something around 28800 Km.

Guru

Ah OK @EA2IF of course. Unfortunately the maths library that I use to calculate great circles doesn’t provide the ability to calculate long paths. When I contacted the author he said it would be possible but left to the user as an exercise. Hmmm, my maths is pretty terrible.

However, based on your response there may be a way to calculate it based on a beam direction. I will have a think about that. Not having a rotator & beam at home or on a summit :rofl: I’ve never thought about whether a beam direction could be used to map the QSO. I believe ADIF provices a way of recording a beam direction. Obviously you’d have to add beam directions for every chaser who had one in an activation map if I was to use that number. Specifying the QSO as long path is the easier but less accurate solution.

I’m still working on low-Earth satellite QSO support, and that is enough!!!

So these are the absolute minimum QSO distances.

Cheers, Mark

Interestingly if you look at the paths in that final image it does look like long path to the EU would follow approximate the same direction as short path to the VK contacts.

I wonder if you followed that long path direction you would find mostly ocean between Japan and the EU?

Cheers, Mark

Guru
Really?
OK I will ask him. He is my friend and every weekend we are chatting on zoom.
Toru K

Hi Mark
Thank you for your comment. Yes we do need to plan on this EU-JA Event. Better to make it “5 continents summits cross connection day” event must be interesting.

Toru K

Hi Toru-san,
Yes, it was fantastic hearing his signals so well for so long time via LP. I recorded our QSO and also some of his CQing too, so I can send it to you and him by email if you want.
Let me know, please in case you want me to email you that recording.
I’d post it here, but I don’t think it’s possible with audio files. I don’t think just audio files can be uploaded to YouTube…

Guru

1 Like

Thank you Martin for your message. Really appreciate all chasers and activators.

Toru K

1 Like

Yes, the LP from EA to JA travels over Brasil in South-America and then follows the Antartic Ocean, then up to VK-ZL until reaching JA. Several Km over the ocean.
The other day, I was chasing another JA activator via LP and Andrew @VK1DA was copying me as well as the JA activator. He recorded and shared with me our QSO.
It was great!

1 Like

Hi Guru OK perhaps the size might be bigger then better to upload on You Tube then he and all JA SOTA activators can see it.
Toru K

But it’s just an audio file and sometimes I’ve tried to upload audio files to YouTube, I couldn’t find a way to do it. It looks like they only accept videos.
Perhaps I can try to merge my audio file with a picture or some other video and that may be OK for YouTube…
I’ll investigate a bit and will let you know.

Guru

1 Like

Guru, I was going to suggest using VLC Media Player which has a Convert/Save option on the file menu. You can convert an audio file into a Youtube Video.

However when I just tried that YouTube had a processing failure.
Might be worth a try with your audio file if you have VLC media player installed.
Regards, Mark.

1 Like

OK Guru then please send me via mail no problem.

Toru K

The alternative is if you have an online storage account such as Dropbox or OneDrive you could share a link to the file stored there.

1 Like

Yes Guru I will mail you my folders that you can drop it.

Toru K

The forum software discourse that is used for the SOTA reflector would allow mp3 upload and playback but it is unfortunately deactivated.

1 Like

Here’s is his log of today’s activation:

2 Likes