Mission Accomplished on Shining Tor

Just to say a big “thank you” to all those stations who read the reflector and alerts and who took the time and trouble to call me today.

Conditions were extremely testing to say the least, a fact borne out by the pile of papier mache in front of me that used to be my log books!

The temptation was to leave the summit after a couple of hours, however the non-stop contacts and the words of encouragement spurred me on and I stayed until 1530 hrs.

This really is testament to a remarkable hobby, the way people put out the word I was perched on SP-004 and asking stations to call me.

Anyway, for those who are interested in the figures, the final haul was just over 150 contacts, all on 2 Metres. I’m sure you’ll all agree, this is a wonderful result solely on the 2 Metre band, in such harsh condition and the time of the year.

All the contacts were made on my FT-857 using 7 Watts and my home brew dipole and SLABs.

The SLABs held up remarkably well in the cold conditions, the 12Ah was virtually flat, but the 9Ah still seemed to be performing well.

Don’t forget… The beam is dead, stick with your dipole :wink:

Once again, many thanks to all …

Best 73s
Mike
A very cold 2E0YYY.

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Well done Mike and thanks for the contact.
Hope you’ve warmed up by now!
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well done on the activation Mike.

The beam is dead, stick with your dipole :wink:

Sounds like a challenge to me! I would at least check the results of the last two VHF activity contests before making such a prounouncement if I were you!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well done on the activation Mike.

The beam is dead, stick with your dipole :wink:

Sounds like a challenge to me! I would at least check the results of
the last two VHF activity contests before making such a prounouncement
if I were you!

Cheers Tom, will do. Thanks to you and Jimmy for the call.

Best 73s
Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well done Mike, when I got you this morning the WX was "Orrible !!

Excellent achievement

Tony

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Anyway, for those who are interested in the figures, the final haul
was just over 150 contacts, all on 2 Metres. I’m sure you’ll all
agree, this is a wonderful result solely on the 2 Metre band, in
such harsh condition and the time of the year.

A veritable achievement! Many congratulations! (Not least for having braved the cold.)

I have never worked that many stations on 2m in a single session - not even in a contest.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to 2E0LAE:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Well done Mike, when I got you this morning the WX was "Orrible
!!

yeah, pretty awful. everyting got soaked caused by low cloud and mist :frowning:

Excellent achievement

Cheers Tony. Did you hear the EI station?

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike no probs I will admit I would not have stayed up any summit that length of time especially wx that poor

well done again

did not hear EI station sorry

Tony

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Fantastic effort Mike, thanks for the qso and well done! Have you thought about entering the backpackers contests from your perch?

73 Chris 2E0FSR

I don’t know how you managed to stick it out in the cold for so long. So much for the FT857 & dipole, tell us what your insulation and waterproofs are!

No SOTA for me today, I was orienteering on Cleeve Hill, and that was cold enough.

Well done

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Well done Mike, great to work you again, Using your 857 you have many bands to play with for future activations.

Sean M0GIA

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Congratulations on 150 qsos Mike, that is a fine total for any activation but for 2m only it is remarkable. It was very nice to be able to work you on this activation, your 7 Watts & dipole were doing a fantastic job!

Mark G0VOF

Congratulations Mike on your 150 QSO’s when you were activating Shining Tor G/SP-004 yesterday. Thank you for our QSO we had yesterday.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

A veritable achievement! Many congratulations! (Not least for having
braved the cold.)

I have never worked that many stations on 2m in a single session - not
even in a contest.

Cheers Walt.

Not too long finished logging it.

I reckon that merits ten points :wink:

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ha! You have logged GW4BVE twice!

:-))))

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ha! You have logged GW4BVE twice!

:-))))

Mea culpa!!!

However, I don’t think I’ll be re-entering that lot again :wink:

Looking at the log, he called at the same time as G5VZ, whose call I took first. I wrote both calls down at the same time, then went back to GW4BVE and wrote his callsign in again :frowning:

Must have been colder up there than I thought!

ROTFL, nice spot though, Walt…

Best Regards
Mike

You don’t need to write them all in again Mike. Just download the CSV file of your activator log, cut it down to just the QSOs of this activation, remove the ‘extra’ BVE log, save it. Then delete the activation from your log, then upload the now corrected CSV file of it.

Much quicker and simpler than it sounds.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

…and more complicated than it needs to be, but implementing a simple “edit log entry” facility might well be a more complicated task than its description implies…

In reply to M6LEP:

implementing a simple “edit log entry”…

… is probably not going to happen any time soon.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

You don’t need to write them all in again Mike. Just download the CSV
file of your activator log, cut it down to just the QSOs of this
activation, remove the ‘extra’ BVE log, save it. Then delete the
activation from your log, then upload the now corrected CSV file of
it.

But fraught with the risk of cocking it up and having to type the whole activation in again!
:slight_smile:

I have also often thought it would be nice to be able to edit a single line in a log after it has been uploaded, but at the moment you can only do this during the log entry process.

Walt (G3NYY)