Mission Accomplished on Shining Tor

It is risk free Walt, providing you first download and save your CSV file. After that, you can edit your file, cut it down to just the particular activation, correct the mistake etc - all safe in the knowledge that you had first saved it all, and also that (at this stage) you have not yet deleted the activation from your log.

Only then - ie with a local copy of a CSV file of your activation QSOs saved on your own PC - do you delete the activation in question from your Database account. Then upload the saved file.

The whole process takes about a minute!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

It is risk free Walt, providing you first download …

• One enormous download.

and save your CSV file.

• One huge file saved.

After that, you can edit your file, cut it down to just the
particular activation,

• Two files saved.

correct the mistake etc - all safe in the
knowledge that you had first saved it all, and also that (at this
stage) you have not yet deleted the activation from your log.

Only then - ie with a local copy of a CSV file of your activation QSOs
saved on your own PC …

• Three files saved.
  • do you delete the activation in question from

your Database account. Then upload the saved file.

• One file deleted on-line.

• One upload.

The whole process takes about a minute!

I’ve done it on a few occasions, and it took me about 5 minutes each time.
What a palaver, just to correct a single line in the database!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

If you find it a palaver and it takes you 5 minutes, you’re not doing it right - you clearly need more practice! Make more mistakes!!

• One enormous download.

I’d hardly say that 698kb was enormous these days - takes about a second. And that’s my download. I bet my download is much bigger than your download.

• Two files saved.
  • Three files saved.

Ha! Only because you chose to save it in between cutting the file down and removing the error. You can save the file as many times as you like - but you don’t have to!

In fact there’s a quicker way here for those of us with big downloads. Just correct the mistake then select and paste the data from the activation in question - then paste it into a new Excel sheet and save that as your CSV ready to upload.

Maybe I should do a video to stick on YouTube and SOTA Television of me correcting a log mistake against the clock. Compelling viewing?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I’d hardly say that 698kb was enormous these days.

No, but 698 kB is considerably bigger!
:wink:

I think I’ll follow Mike’s example and just leave the error in the database. It’s just not worth the hassle to correct it.
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

My view is that the duplicate not an error - it’s an accurate log of what you did. If you work somebody twice, accidentally or otherwise, I think you should log both contacts.

This is analagous to contest logging. We used to have to go to a great deal of effort to remove dups, and were penalised for leaving them in. With computerised scoring, it is so simple for the software to ignore dups that the correct procedure is now to leave them.

Mike,

I have downloaded your log, cut and pasted the SP-004 activation into its own file, and deleted the surplus GW4BVE contact. It is now an activation of 150 QSOs.

(Walt - I timed this at 25 seconds so far, so adding what it would take to delete the activation from the log upload the correct set of logs, then I reckon my estimate of one minute is probably conservative).

Mike, would you like me to delete your SP-004 activation and replace it with the new file, which has the correct total of 150 QSOs? Don’t worry BTW, the data is secure and backed-up here - there is no risk whatsoever.

Or would you like me to email you the corrected CSV file for you to try and do it yourself?

(Martyn - I interpreted that Mike didn’t actually work BVE twice, more that he wrote his call down when John initially called, and wrote it down again when he was worked. I think the reason for the procedure you describe in contests is to preserve matching between participants’ logs and avoid inconsistencies in serial numbers).

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Or would you like me to email you the corrected CSV file for you to
try and do it yourself?

Cheers Tom, if you don’t mind, just go ahead and make the change.

(Martyn - I interpreted that Mike didn’t actually work BVE twice, more
that he wrote his call down when John initially called, and wrote it
down again when he was worked. I think the reason for the procedure
you describe in contests is to preserve matching between participants’
logs and avoid inconsistencies in serial numbers).

Your supposition is just about spot on, Tom. What happened was… I wrote down the callsigns of two stations who were calling at the same time. When I returned to the second station, I rather foolishly wrote his call down again.

There were infact, some other duplicates in the log, hence my initial impression I’d completed about 155 QSO’s. However, after a bit of weeding out before posting the results to the database, the total dropped to 151 …well, 150 after the final change is made.

Thanks for your help, Tom.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M1MAJ:

My view is that the duplicate not an error - it’s an accurate log of
what you did. If you work somebody twice, accidentally or otherwise, I
think you should log both contacts.

Basically it all boils down to what is a QSO. Mike plainly noted John’s call down, but did not exchange any information with him until he had completed the QSO with G5VZ. Only then did he exchange information with John, so it was not a case of it being a duplicate contact.

I often work stations on 70cms both on CW and SSB with reports exchanged separately on both modes. I log them as separate contacts. The database accepts it as two contacts, but for qualification purposes it is, of course, just a single contact. Logging both contacts is important as when the asterisk system is reinstated, then the contact will be confirmed irrespective of which mode it is claimed for.

Mike’s activation of 150 QSOs just using 144MHz is a really a significant achievement. Well done Mike - you’ll have the local contest groups chasing you to become a member!

73, Gerald G4OIG

I have a similar policy Gerald. If someone works me on 2m FM, then later on 2m SSB, both contacts go into my activator log. If someone calls me again on the same band/mode as earlier, then the second contact is not logged.

Mike, your activator log is now corrected. Took me a further 20 seconds on top of the 25 seconds already spent working on the task. I need to rest for a while…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G4OIG:

Logging both contacts is important as when the asterisk system is reinstated,
then the contact will be confirmed irrespective of which mode it is claimed
for.

That assumes I don’t change it to check mode/band as well!

Actually, I always log contacts with the same station on the same band if I work them on a different mode. And obviously log them again on different bands. Logging different modes/bands is important if you want claim awards with endorsements such as all 2m or all CW etc.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to M1MAJ:

All noted Gerald…

Mike’s activation of 150 QSOs just using 144MHz is a really a
significant achievement.

Thanks for the flowers. I haven’t had had so much fun since 15 Metres was open last year.

Well done Mike - you’ll have the local
contest groups chasing you to become a member!

Better let 'em know, I don’t come cheap, Gerald :wink:

Mike
2E0YYY

Eek - just made the mistake myself. Entered my logs from Saturday’s activation, and submitted. Then realised that I hadn’t included 3 QSOs from over the page in my logbook.

Downloaded CSV, copied cells relevant to activation in question, pasted into another Excel sheet. Added date for the 3 more QSOs at the bottom. Saved as CSV.

Deleted activation from database log, went to Import activator CSV, selected file just saved, and proceeded.

Everything now correct - timed at 2 minutes and 40 seconds. This included me making some mistakes and pressing some wrong buttons, and it was 3 QSOs to add rather than one to delete. But I am still disappointed by the time achieved, and am seriously thinking of making more mistakes so I can get some training in!

I guess I won’t have long to wait, with three more activations comprising 164 QSOs yet to enter!

Tom M1EYP