Mickle Fell G/NP-002

So I’d applied for my ‘permit’, from Warcop by e-mail, and received my permit 10 days later.

Thus armed I set off from the cattle grid on the Brough to Middleton in Teesdale road at 7:30am. The 'approved route basically involves walking along the county boundary line between Durham & the North Riding to the summit. There’s no obvious path, Even leaving the road isn’t obvious as there is a wall and a couple of fences to cross before you start your walk. But there is a public path a few hundred yards back along the road to Brough. This gets you a nice easy walk to Ley Seat and HewiIts. It was here I met a couple of walkers who turned out to be doing a bird survey. To my surprise they turned out to be the owners of much of the surrounding landscape. They’d only heard about the permit system and wondered if they’d need to apply. They also told me the army hadn’t used the area for live firing for some years.

Either way basically pick your way along the east side of the wire fence marking the county boundary and walk over thick heather, peat banks, bogs and tussock grass and the odd bit of quad bike track. There are a couple of bridges where needed.

About half a mile after setting off I got my first view of Mickle Fell. My heart dropped. It looked much, much further than it did on the map.

One of the many stone boundary markers along the fence. They are numbered and are about 100yds apart, but many appear to have sunk beneath the peat. Mickle Fell in the background.

I made it the summit cairn 2 hrs 15 minutes later. The final slope to the top turned out to be the easiest bit of the walk as it was all on relatively short grass. It was 10c on the summit and a fairly brisk wind from the SE. I was glad I’d packed my warm belay jacket and a goretex jacket as I set up office behind the summit cairn protected from the wind by my umbrella and an army poncho.

The Office - What can I say? - I do like as much comfort as I can squeeze out of the summits. :grinning:
IMG_3272

I self spotted on 7mhz / CW and immediately received my first chaser, GB2WAR a special event station (Military/war) 20 minutes later I had 9 contacts in the log before my CQ Sota calls went unanswered. 10mhz / CW produced a further 11 callers including G4BOK a fellow club member, in 20 minutes before that too went quiet.
I QSYd to 14mhz. It was absolutely jammed with contesters and I struggle to squeeze myself in. Even though I self spotted I got absolutely no answers to my CQ SOTA. No doubt my 4 w was lost in the crowd.

My SW1B I was using only does 3 bands. I’d only been on the top for just an hour so I decided to bring out my old Hb-1b and rigged another band hopper linked dipole and gave a call out on 18mhz,
I think this was the first time I’d ever used that frequency band on a SOTA activation. Much to my pleasure I worked another 6 contacts, including W2WC, and another club member, G4ZAO/p activating G/SB-006.

2 hrs on the summit and It was time to pack up, but not before I went to look for the ruin I’d spotted and close by the ever dwindlng remains of the WW2 Sterling bomber crash site. Curiosity satisfied I made it back to the car about 2hrs 15 minutes later. Its no easier under foot going down and I was getting rather weary

The ruin. What on earth was its original function?
IMG_3274

And finally a remaining bit of airframe - more information can be found on here, provided by SOTA stalwart , John Earnshaw/G4YSS Do you know the story of the ‘Mickle Fell Stirling’?
IMG_3275

And if you want a good visual appraisal of the route to the summit here’s an excellent blog with lots of photos WTDWHD

There’s plenty of clean pure water along the way, so I wouldn’t bother waste your effort and bother carrying any.

Access notes.

There are only 2 official access routes. The southern route from the B 6276 And the northern route from Cow Green reservoir. You are expected to phone the Warcop ‘guardroom’, when you set off and tell them where you are parked along with the vehicle registration number along with your expected time of return. Upon leaving he hill you are instructed to tell them when you have returned so you can be ticked off their list… There’s little to no phone signal so I simply phoned them from Brough with my ETD and again on my departure.
There’s no bomb craters, broken ordinance or any other signs of warfare although I read that Mickle Fell was/is the 2nd back stop for live firing exercises. But as the couple who I spoke to commented, that there’s been no firing of heavy weapons for many years - and they owned a fair bit of moorland estate. In any case there are red flags along the road and there’s no firing anyway on the access days.
I asked the couple what would happen if you simply walked up the hill without a permit (on access days) . “Absolutely nothing”, was the reply. I have absolutely no idea what would happen if you had a permit and didn’t bother phone the ‘guardroom’, or what happens if you did phone the guardroom on going to the hill, but totally forgot to tell them when you returned? Do they end up trying to contact you?.
Just for info the access system I’ve mentioned is entirely run by and operated by a civilian company on behalf of the MOD.

That said, its no real hassle and as I mentioned earlier you can apply for several dates on the one access form in advance and phoning them up is quite simple - but do it before you get to the parking areas whilst you still have a signal.

11 Likes

Well done David - but what a faff!

Your description (and previously-posted G/NP-002 activation reports) of the protracted access procedure and the walk itself was enough for me to decide not to bother doing Mickle Fell. That still leaves 28 G/NP summits and I was never one for collecting the complete set of anything.

4 Likes

Well done David, I suspect Mickle Fell is the last NP summit for many activators because of the faff! Even worse than that though is the terrain (aka bog). I failed on my first attempt from the north because of the river. Pick a dry spell or prepare to get wet.

2 Likes

Well done on the activation David @M6GYU

I saw your spots yesterday after we’d been up Arenig Fawr and wondered how you were doing. When we visited during winter, we found those streams to be more like rivers and most of the walk in was completely water-logged. We had very wet feet. As you say, it seems much further to walk in reality than it looks on the OS map…

Will you ever go back, that is the question? :grin::rofl: NP-002 is probably one of those we won’t bother with, having been there. Although it sounds like your permit application was a lot quicker than ours, which took months!

Well done for activating it on HF. The HF bands still don’t seem great; although 40m gave us some inter-G yesterday, I just could not work @SP9MPZ on his SOTA.

73, Simon

1 Like

I know what you mean. It felt as though I wasn’t getting any closer as I followed the boundary what seemed like ages.

Glad I did it though and as you said, no big deal. Send an email, receive confirmation, phone when you start and again when you finish.

73, Robert

2 Likes

It is my closest hill, but not one I have rushed back to. You are right it does seem longer on the ground than the map. If I do it again I’ll try the northern route which adds a river crossing to the challenge and from memory (I went up that way on a MRT exercise) I don’t think the ground is any easier… FYI the estate on the Durham side of the boundary are quite (very) commercial and although the MOD might not notice anyone without a permit I’m fairly sure the estate would.

2 Likes

Carry the permit with you, you may be challenged!

On the northern approach Mazies beck is a real river crossing. Look for wide and shallow (ISH) and be careful.
That makes a summit N to S transit a reality.
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

[quote=“G7WKX, post:4, topic:35407, full:true”]
Well done on the activation David @M6GYU

Will you ever go back, that is the question? :grin::rofl: NP-002 is probably one of those we won’t bother with, having been there. [/quote]

Thanks Simon
Before I even arrived at the summit I’d decided I won’t be doing this one again… In the scheme of things it was more dispiriting activating Mickle Fell than any of the multi-peak activations I’ve done in Scotland and Wales…**.

David M6GYU

3 Likes

I reckon most of us have thought that about at least one SOTA summit we’ve done. For me, the pleasure of the walk is at least as important as playing radio at the top, and if it’s a boring slog, I won’t bother a second time. Conversely, many SOTA walks are so enjoyable that I’m happy to activate those summits more than once a year even if I don’t get points for it.

6 Likes

Well done David. The “faff” is well worth it to get it ticked off the list. As you say, the last bit is the easiest… much peat and squelchiness when Paul G4MD, David M0YDH and I did it, but it was the end of December. It took us 3 hours and 10 minutes, so you are obviously super fit. :grinning:

We were permitted only to use the southern route when we did this one in 2010. No option to do a transit, even if we had fancied it.

2 Likes

I cycled up and back. It was good fun. I think that route is no longer permitted?

3 Likes

Me and my dad Tom @M1EYP activated Mickle Fell G/NP-002 back in 2006 using the route from the east that was allocated to us. This was a great route and sadly the MOD will no longer allocate this route to hikers.

Jimmy M0HGY

3 Likes

In 2023 it was my brother-in-law’s 80 birthday. Although a keen walker he had never ascended Mickle Fell. I requested and was sanctioned for the two of us to transit from South to North. Mazies beck is however a real obstacle. Some older maps may show a bridge at 791262 but that is long gone. Going upstream is not an option whist sticking to the approved route, downstream it is about 8km to the first bridge. We forded at about 802272. Another option is at 806278, opposite Birkdale farm, where the beck spits in two. Incidentally our boots were about dry when we arrived at the Cow Green reservoir parking site.
Enjoy
David
G0EVV

4 Likes

No longer permitted.

Only north from Cow Green reservoir / Maize Beck
Or:-
From the South along the county border.

2 Likes

An advantage of being an early adopter. It was a really nice little trip on a mountain bike. Easily done in a morning.

4 Likes

David,

Loved reading your activation report, and thanks for the S2S on the day.

73’s
David

2 Likes