Lora APRS tool

Hey,

I recently experimented with a LoRa APRS module to see what kind of range and coverage it could offer in my region. To my great surprise, LoRa APRS is extremely effective, and often provides coverage in areas where there is no cellular coverage at all.

Most of the available firmwares are designed primarily to be used as a simple tracker. I’m not really interested in that function. What I wanted was the ability to send and receive messages, and, most importantly, to spot myself.

So I modified the firmware for the LilyGO T-Echo to make it a bit more SOTA-friendly. I designed it so you can spot yourself directly from the device, without using any other equipment. No smartphone needed. Just a few clicks on the module and you’re spotted!

The firmware is based on EA2OY’s work. It’s simply a fork that keeps all the original features, including the tracker, repeater, and other functions.

What you need :

  • A lilygo t-echo
  • Flash the bootloader
  • Flash the firmware
  • Enter your callsign in the configuration tool.

You can find the firmware and instructions here :

Any suggestion appreciated, as it’s an early release.

73

2 Likes