Liz, K1LIZ has become a Silent Key

I had just parked at Cone Manor on the Blue Ridge Parkway this morning when I heard the news. I regret the few times I did not have a microphone along to work Liz, and cherish the times that I did. She will not be forgotten. RIP Liz, and prayers to Ron and the family.

Ken, W4KAC

3 Likes

Liz was an inspiration for everyone. She can do it attitude. Liz will be missed. Sorry for your loss Ronnie. 73 de WX4ET

3 Likes

Wow,
She was an inspriation. RIP Liz.
Sorry for your loss Ron.

Malen
VE6VID

3 Likes

Man,

It’s really strange how torn up one can be about a person I have never met in person. Liz was my second SOTA contact. I sent her an email to say thank you, and to ask for some tips on summits to give it a shot. The response email read like welcoming open arms. Hell I just read it again and can her talking to me. Anyways, I have much respect for Liz as many other people here.

Ron,

When you read this and I’m sure you will. We all love You both. If you need anything just say the word.

Beau

6 Likes

This is horrible news. My condolences to Ron and the rest of the family.

I just chased Liz on her last SOTA activation earlier this month, and WW7D and I were the very last SOTA QSOs in her log =(

God speed K1LIZ. I hope we can QSO again in the next life.

-Josh WU7H

3 Likes

In some way Liz gave us all joy. Her spirit was so strong, and we all were touched by her.
We won’t forget.

Carey
KX0R

5 Likes

Dreadful news, such an example to all of us how to handle adversity

RIP Liz …

4 Likes

Terrible and very sad news. I contacted Liz almost at all her activations. My deepest condolences to Ron and his family. RIP Liz.
Chris - F4WBN

3 Likes

What more can I say… just that she was a good person full of life and unfortunately I never contacted, it’s always scary to lose a member of our community. May Liz rest in peace, and my condolences to all his family.
Éric

3 Likes

Wow, this is dreadful news. Liz was such a special person to this (SOTA) community, the world, and especially her family. I remember seeing her SOTA spots and I was finally able to get her in my log. A triple goat in 5 years, what dedication!

Ron & Family, we are all so sad and sorry for this tremendous loss.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/elizabeth-burns-obituary?id=33325037

Ron K6CPR

4 Likes

This is the sadist of news. Liz has been such an inspiration, overcoming a lot in her life. I personally took great joy in making a Qso with her. She will be dearly missed. RIP Liz.
My deepest condolences Ron. The two of you were such a finely tuned couple.

3 Likes

Ron - My condolences. She will be missed in the SOTA community. - Don AC7P

2 Likes

It’s never easy to hear such sad news. Liz was definitely someone special and a person you respected for the challenges she faces, plus it was fun to know her. I’ll always remember the Saturday evening gathering we had at our cabin on Monte Sano last August. She was there along with the XYL of Ron - N4SFR. Both have now passed away but left us with great memories.
Rest in peace and hopefully they are together on the ultimate SOTA summit.
Gary A. - W0MNA

3 Likes

I only live about 3 miles from Ron and Liz and have met in person on many occasions. Liz was the poster girl for someone who made the best of the challenges she faced. Looking back in my records I see that I was fortunate enough to chase her 155 times on a summit. She will be truly missed.
Walt

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear this news about Liz. I had the opportunity to meet her and Ron in 2018 when they hiked up to Clingmans Dome when I was activating. Besides Liz’s remarkable ham radio activity, she also served her community by being a police dispatcher which at times can be a very challenging assignment because of what they do for officers on patrol. My condolences to Ron.

Scott WA9STI Los Angeles

2 Likes

Sorry to hear such news - my condolences go to the family and her friends. - Markus HB9DIZ

2 Likes

I feel like a light in the world just went out. Liz was sunshine itself. We would talk on the telephone for hours & laugh & laugh. I loved teasing her about the way she unconsciously switched to her official police dispatcher voice when my radio signal was weak. I loved talking to her about quilting and RVs and Tucson and her tripping & somersaulting head first down a mountain (she joked & said Ron told her never do that again) and, of course, SOTA.

She was a treasure & she will be missed. And she will always be my SOTA sister.

Jill // N3ICE

7 Likes

So sad :sleepy: I worked Liz and Ron many times! Great Legendary SOTA folks! Even made her Mtn Goat Cert per Ron’s request:

RIP Liz! My next SOTA is in honor of your attitude and spirit! …Cheers Liz!

12 Likes

So sorry to hear this. Liz was always a kind voice on the radio and was always fun to talk with. I only met her in person once on that evening at Monte Sano, but I can still surely call her a great friend. My deepest condolences are with Ron and the rest of the family.

1 Like

I only knew LIZ from the reports here. I never had a qso with her… but I always looked forward to that maybe one day.

Nevertheless, I will miss her. She was a member of the SOTA family.

My condolences to all family and friends.

73 Armin

3 Likes