Leap Year - Activations

When I got up yesterday and thought about the date (29 Feb) if I want to activate on all days of the year I better do something because it will be a 4 year wait before I can get this Day of the Year.

So a little trip out to my local SOTA G/LD-045 and a few local VHF QSOs.

This got me thinking who has activated on all Days of the Year ?

I ran a few downloads from the wonderful SOTA database here are some selected results.

M1EYP = 100%
MM0YCJ = 94%
G4OBK = 79%
MW0WML = 75%
M0HGY = 67%
G4VFL = 55%

Another list and an excuse to go out SOTAing.

73 de

Andrew G4VFL

8 Likes

Excellent - and pointless use of the Database Andrew. Excellent because it is pointless in fact!

I think I’m also 100% in activating every hour of the clock … shall I investigate…?

1 Like

Yes, it seems I am 100% for the 366 dates of the calendar, AND the 24 hours of the clock.

Just been running a bit of pointless analysis on my 70,506 SOTA activator QSOs to date:

Interestingly my least active date of the calendar is August 16th, with just 16 activator QSOs recorded. And the most active is in the same month - August 2nd with 591 activator QSOs made over the years!

My least active clock hours for activating are - unsurprisingly - 01, 02 and 03, with the most active hours - 19 and 20 - surely being boosted by my combining SOTA activations with VHF contest evenings.

Anyway, this will all be out of date soon enough… :wink:

4 Likes

So here’s my useless statistic. 48% of my activations have been on a Thursday. I’m surprised it’s not higher.

1 Like

Was going to do that for mine too, then didn’t bother, then saw your reply, then did bother…!

Looks like a third of all my SOTA activator QSOs have happened on a Tuesday!

1 Like

My statistic was activations rather than QSOs. 55% of my activator QSOs have been on a Thursday.

1 Like

Not had much to do today - as you can tell!

Now looked at the bands and modes used in the 70,506 activator QSOs made across my 4,000 SOTA activations to date:

1 Like

Is there a badge for 29th of Feb activations?
If yes I may try it in 4 years time :laughing:

3 Likes

No, but there should be.

1 Like

Oo-er, for some of us SOTA on Christmas Day and / or Boxing Day would be a divorcable offence. Then there’s the other half’s birthday - but I cracked that one in my first year of SOTA bagging Butser Hill G/SE-004 on my way home from a birthday weekend away. The weather was cold, wet and windy and my XYL sat in the car reading a book. Both of us were happy. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m sure it hasn’t gone unnoticed that a lot of my activating takes place late at night and/or very early morning. This year will see my 30th wedding anniversary…

2 Likes

Well I’ve got 20 years on you, but it still would not be acceptable… and indeed why should it be? I value the time with the family… all 4 generations of them. As they say, the hills will still be there… :grinning:

2 Likes

Same! That’s why I do most of it when she’s watching telly or asleep :wink:

Unless planned way in advance I have the early morning activations, and try to be home relatively early as to not impede on the wife’s plans for the day. So far it works fairly well.

1 Like

Yes, that’s very similar to what I do at weekends - and especially when on holiday together.

1 Like