K1LIZ Memorial Gathering

In honor of my late wife, Liz, K1LIZ, we had a small ceremony on Steestachee Bald in North Carolina, the summit where she earned her first Mountain Goat award. Everyone told a memory or story about her and I, with the help of Patrick’s son Kameron, spread some of her ashes on the summit. It was a wonderful and memorable occasion and I thank everyone that was there.

In the foreground is Patrick, NE2P. In the back from left to right is Jeanette and husband Scott, NZ4R; Michael, N4DCW; Pat, WW4D; Dean, K2JB; Dennis, N4DD; Ron, NR3E; Kameron; and Justin, KO4DCD.

24 Likes

My condolences to you and your family. It looks like it was a wonderful time with friends and memories on a beautiful summit she achieved MG on.

Big 73 de VE6JTW, Jesse

3 Likes

Thanks for the nice photo, Ron. Earlier, we decided to maintain K1LIZ on the list of known YLs in SOTA. There are 78 of them, over half in the US. Likely, there are ten more, TBD.

Elliott, K6EL

6 Likes

What a great idea and thanks for sharing with the broader SOTA community. Very sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

VERY NICE, INDEED, ALL!
Loved the pix, as well; so could see who was on the other end after all these years of QSO’s!
RIP Liz.
All Best, Ken, and Kay, KE7BGM

2 Likes

A wonderful tribute, and very nice picture of your gathering.
Thanks for the recent s2s from that summit as well.
Mike K6STr

3 Likes

This is simply wonderful and a proper tribute to an amazing SOTA family member.
Thank you for sharing.
Thomas
K4SWL

3 Likes

I regret that I failed to attend. Liz’s SOTA achievements surpass those of all other SOTA activators, in my opinion.

Andy, N4LAG

2 Likes

Ron, we are so sorry that we couldn’t be there! Liz was, and still is, an inspiration!
Jean (AE1JS) and Mark (AE1MS)

4 Likes

Sorry I couldn’t be there as well. A fitting tribute to a great ham and SOTA op, whether chasing or activating.

73 Paula k9ir

3 Likes

What a wonderful way to honor her. Wish I could have known her - she sounds like she was such a special lady! So glad you had SOTA family there with you.
Betsy, N4AJJ

1 Like

RIP Liz < …Liz/K1LIZ was not only inspiration to the entire SOTA community but anyone who knew her. Thank you both Ron/NR3E and Liz for all the activations and chases! We’re forever grateful for your involvement with SOTA! 73, Steve/wGØAT

1 Like