June 8th and 9th SOTA Explosion in Europe

It’s great to see multiple associations across Europe combining to make June 8th & 9th THE WEEKEND to be out activating a summit!

Switzerland - We have the Swiss event:
HB9SOTA Mountain Activation Day 2024 - Notices / Events - SOTA Reflector

France - The French event:
FRENCH MOUNTAINS ACTIVATION DAY 2024 - Notices / Events - SOTA Reflector

In Wales there was already an event that just happened to coincide:
Welsh Hog-Roast

In England the RSGB 2m Backpackers may have some activators on SOTA summits on the 9th 144 MHz Backpackers - thanks Tony.

Germany - we have DL/DM supporting as well:
DM/BW Group

Ireland - EI group getting together in the Wicklow / Dublin mountains - Thanks Colm.

Italy - Italian SOTA regional managers will be active on different summits - thanks Andrea.

Croatia - From the 9A1WFF hamfest on 9A/ZH-011 on June 9th. Plus some other SOTA activations in 9A on the same day - thanks Boris.

Spain - thanks to Alberto for the heads up that ANOTHER SOTA event will be happening in Spain on the 8th. The VHF-SOTA-FM event - here’s hoping for some Sporadic E or good tropo on the VHF bands!

JUN 2024 INSCRIPCION - Google Sheets

73 Ed.

13 Likes

There’s an EI group getting together in the Wicklow / Dublin mountains too.

6 Likes

Hello,
the June 8th and 9th also the italian sota regional managers will be active on different summit of our country to join the other associations !

73 de Andrea IW0HK
Italy Sota Manager

5 Likes

We have 9A1WFF hamfest on 9A/ZH-011, June 9th !

More info: https://9aff.wordpress.com/2024/05/07/9a1wff-hamfest-2024-ravna-gora-poziv/

There will be also some other SOTA activations in 9A on the same day.

Stay tuned!

73 de Boris 9A2GA
9A SOTA Association manager

6 Likes

Also on the Sunday 9th June 0900-1300 UTC is one of my Faves, RSGB 144MHz Backpackers Contest.

I always used to try to co-incide this with a SOTA Activation, as potentially more chance of getting a bigger list in the log?

73 Tony

2 Likes

In EA we celebrate the SOTA VHF FM DX event on the 8th June. Operator might also activate HF but we will concentrate on VHF long distance contacts.

VHF-FM-SOTA

73!

3 Likes

I hope to make the 3rd one on Sunday afternoon (7th. July, 11 - 15 utc) with 5W CW/SSB (FT817) and 3-el Yagi/3.5m pole from a modest G/LD summit near me [re-activation so no SOTA points]. Managing two strong dogs and my Yagi shoulder bag on the way up might be a hassle. Wx forecast is for rain showers so will need tarp for my non-waterproof radio gear and me. Hope to get some non-LoS contacts via tropospheric scattering like I did last time.

Would be interested to know if anyone else is planning to do the contest and SOTA.

1 Like

Hi Andy, as I said , I always used to try to combine them.

I have missed the first 2 again this year, and it doesn’t look like this weekend will happen, due to family commitments!

Good luck

Tony

1 Like