JA SOTA QSO PARTY 2022 AUTUMN

Hello,
I’d like to participate, weather and duties permitting.
In the previous JA SOTA party I had a S2S with JA, at the end of the event (around 07:00 utc) on 14 MHz Long path.

I hope to have the chance to repeat it this time.
In the core time (00 - 03 utc) there should be little DX chances, I guess.

Good luck all, 73 Ignacio

9 Likes

Hola Ignacio.
El horario central de 00:00-03:00 UTC es para incentivar a los locales ya que son las 09:00-12:00 horas local. Y con Europa el horario con mayor posibilidades se da entre las 07:00 y 09:00 UTC o sea 16:00 y 18:00 local.
En el evento anterior olvidé el cargador de la batería y no pude activar para trabajar europeos. Espero que esta vez haya revancha y que en tu caso puedas repetir y mejorar tu experiencia!
73 de JP3PPL, Takeo

6 Likes

Thanks Takeo, yes, I see the event is long enough to work your local friends plus to get a chance for the DX!
Sure we all will get a nice experience in your party.

Your spanish is very good, muchas gracias, un abrazo
73 de Ignacio

6 Likes

Takeo speak spanish better than me, hihi. Cheers!

I hope I will wake up morning and try yo get a S2S to JA.

6 Likes

Because I was born in Buenos Aires… :slight_smile:
Abrazo!

7 Likes

the decision has been made…

I will be active on 18 September from 0600 UTC as DL20SOTA/P from DM/BW-003.

I have an Endfed that I can connect to my small MX-P50 PA at 40/20/15/10m… for the other bands I plug the antenna directly into the KX2 and use the tuner.

I hope for my first S2S with JA

Now only the weather has to cooperate :wink:

73 Armin

7 Likes

I put the Alert on SW3 for JA SOTA QSO PARTY 2022 AUTUMN.

Subject to change depending on WX.

See you On The Air

de JG0AWE / Hiro WAKA

7 Likes

Can’t wait for JA SOTA QSO PARTY 2022 AUTUMN!
We’ll activate JA/NN-204 (kurofu-yama) .
Hope the weather is fine that day. :smiley:

JG1EJY es JG1EKA

5 Likes

Hi JG1EJY Naoki-san, :grinning:

Maybe It’s easy to QSO with you from JA/NN-075 = S2S.

See You On The Air!

de JG0AWE / WAKA

2 Likes

New Antenna system, 20m & 15m HWEF with trap has been finished.
Also hardware to stand up the Spider Beam 10m Pole and etc. 3D printing finished last night.
Hope to see you on the air.

de JG1BOK / Matt

9 Likes

Today’s shack

JA/FS-140 Mt.Mizuishi, Viewing platform

FT-891M (50w) and battery BL-50TX(250Wh)
Thank you for call.
de JS1UEH, Takeshi

8 Likes

Hello,
I participated activating EA2/NV-092.

Going very early in the morning is rewarded with a nice sunrise

Working conditions were a 9m long wire with 4 ground radials of 4,5 meter, plus the ZM-2 manual tuner. I installed it on a vertical 9m fishpole. Rig KX3 10w.

Running first in 14 MHz I logged some nice DX from ZL and VK but JA signals were very low at the beginning, and I could not work the stations I saw on spots. At that time in the morning I heard some of the chasers with a strong echo, as their signals were received simultaneously via SP and LP, with a delay. As the sun started to go high in the sky, Short Path improved in 18 and 21 MHz.

I began to hear clear signals from JA and got the call from JR8MHA/P for a good S2S from JA/MG-091, thanks dear Katsu!!

Afterwards I heard readable signals from others like JA5QJX/0, JI3BAP/3 or JP3DGT/3 (it seems his pole broke and he dissapear before I could call him!).

I got a few calls from weak stations I couldn’t decode and later had some more EU S2S in my log.

Although the day started with 11º Celsius, it wasn’t windy and had fun.

Thanks for the event and see you next time.

では、また

73 Ignacio

8 Likes

I set up my KX3 and 66’ doublet inverted vee on the Tree People bluff overlooking Studio City, CA. It’s not a SOTA summit, but has a pretty good take off to Asia.
At first I could not hear any of the JA spots. But I had QSOs on 12 meters with VK3CWB and JH1 OCC (who answered my CQ!). I was running 5 watts.
After 2230Z I heard JP3DGT/3 and JA5QJZ/0 on 20, JP3DGT/3, JI3BAP/3 and JA4RQO/4 on 17. Then JI3BAP/3 on 12. Signals were in and out of the noise.
The best signal level (529) of all was JP3DGT/3 on 12 meters where we completed a QSO. I was running 10 watts.
12 meters had the best propagation from Japan for my QTH. The MUF was above 25 MHz.
I hope to be on a summit for the next one and make some S2S QSOs.

David N6AN

6 Likes

I used the special callsign DL20SOTA/P at DM/BW-003.

After I was still last week in Liguria / Italy at 30 degrees Celsius on the mountains, this was here a “refreshment” - When I arrived at the top around 5:45 UTC I had 4 degrees Celsius.

I had the KX2 and a small 35 watt PA with me. The antenna was an Endfed for 40, 20, 15 and 10m. Unfortunately the conditions were very capricious. When I had a QSO with ZL1TM at 6:10 UTC with good RST, I was still optimistic. I got good reports from RBN: over 20dB at USA and VK…With JA it was much harder.
On 20m almost nothing came in. On 17m I had strong local interferences (otherwise I would have used the antenna without PA directly at the KX2 with the tuner)

The qsos at 15m with JI3BAP/3 was borderline… and the one with JR8MHA/7 was ok - but unfortunately that was it…

It was fun anyway and I would do it again!

73 Armin

8 Likes

This was my first S2S with North America on 12m.
Thank you very much.
See you again!

4 Likes

I think there were fewer participating stations this time because of the approaching typhoon.

I operated from JA/KT-014 early in the morning.
Before dawn I was able to communicate with England, France, Finland, North America, and Australia.
After dawn I was able to communicate with N6AN on 12m and BX2ABT on 20m.
We were also able to make many S2S contacts with JA stations.

Moved to JA/HG-052 in the afternoon.

Around 07:00 (UTC), 17m propagation was good and I was able to communicate with Finland, UK, Germany, Switzerland and Australia, but the rod broke due to strong winds.

The rod was repaired, but it quickly shrank and communication was difficult.

Finally, we operated a little on 20 meters and ended when we were able to communicate with Spain.
Propagation to the EU was getting better by now, but we could not go any further.

There were some accidents, but I would do it again.

JA/KT-014 49 QSO (15 S2S)
JA/HG-052 25 QSO (4 S2S)

Equipment used
Rig KX2 (10W)
Ant: handmade vertical antenna

8 Likes

Hello.I QRVed at JA/MG-091.

All of Japan, especially western Japan, was expected to be affected by a monster typhoon.
I am in northern Japan, so I can participate, but I felt that it was not fair to my comrades, so I did not intend to participate.
However, when I thought of a comrade who climbed the mountain to communicate with Japan in the EU, I had no choice but to go.

Using KX2 10W. λ/4GP with feed point 1.6mH.
Three 6m radials are installed with an inclination angle to the north.
It is my favorite piece of equipment that performs well even in windless environments.
14 and 18 changed the vertical element length.

I knew 14 wasn’t good, but once it came out, OH1MM was strong.
But it doesn’t last.
Since F4WBN faded out, I thought 14 was not good, but when I found DL20SOTA/P(DM/BW-003)moved to 21, I changed bands.
QSLed,He sent R over 10 times and I got excited too. Tnx,Armin!

The strong signal of F4WBN at 18 confirmed the good condition, and then QSO with DJ5AV, HB9CGA, OK2PDT and other stations.
After that, watch the EA2BD/P(EA/NV-092)spot frequency and wait for the signal to float.
The LP was terrible, so I waited for a while and called when it became clear!TNX,Ignacio!

If there was no typhoon, if there was no wind and the performance of the antenna could be demonstrated, many stations would have been able to DX S2S.

Thank you to all the stations that moved to the top of the mountain for JA SOTA P, and to the stations that directed their beams.

73 CU. .

8 Likes

Hi Folks!
I attended “JA SOTA Day” on JA/NN-075.
Though It was a difficult decision due to the Typhoon, Yes I did!
I hiked up w/ 20m Band-Full size HB9CV for half an hour = Not so long.

The DX Prop. of 20m band was not bad, but 17m or 15m was better!?

I would try to bring up the multi band HB9CV for Next, maybe?

It was very windy, thick fog & rain on the summit.

Sorry, I missed several call. It was hard to hear because of the noise from the strong wind.

But I had a good & exciting experience this time.

Thanks ALL.

de JG0AWE / Hiro WAKA

5 Likes

I participated in JA SOTA DAY from Utagakiyama JA/OS-018.

With a typhoon approaching, I was worried that the weather would worsen.

But in the end, I was at the summit for 10 hours and worked with a total of 60 stations.

In the morning, when I looked at SOTA Spotter, I saw the message “Try 24MHz please”.
So I changed bands to 12m, I was able to work with VK, W6 stations. Thank you David N6AN
for your recommend.

Over lunch, I chased S2S in Japan on 40m.

Rig: FT-891, FT-817

This time, I thought I would be using the FT891 for high-power operation,
but the batteries ran out before Europe opened, so I used the FT817.

Still, it worked very well. I got many calls from Europe. I was especially excited to
be able to S2S with DL20SOTA/P. Thank you Armin DL6GCA for your call.

Ant: Linked dipole about 5m high

I would like to participate in this event again.

Aki, JI3BAP

5 Likes

I participated JA SOTA QSOP from JA/NN-175 Mt. Mitsuminesan.
Not good weather condition , but I enjoyed QSOP.

Thanks all and 73 de JG1BOK/Matt

my YouTube channel

5 Likes