JA SOTA DAY (Part 1)

Thanks Toru!

Quite surprised by the good conditions on 15 meters!

:grinning: :grinning:

Pete
WA7JTM

2 Likes

Thank you for this great initiative and thank you to all the activators for the many contacts. To redo as soon as possible…! Chris - F4WBN

6 Likes

I’ve just set up on G/SP-015 and hoping to catch some of the late action!

1 Like

Chris, thanks for the QSO. Your signals weren’t from this Planet!! 599++
73 de JP3PPL

2 Likes

:joy: I don’t think Chris suffers from ‘skip’ or other propagation difficulties that affect mere mortal radio amateurs! :wink: Always a good signal here.

Glad the event went well.

5 Likes

Ah, the difference a big antenna farm can make… :wink:

Here, with my little sapling of a hexbeam, JA SOTA CW signals were on the edge of workability, almost, but not quite…

(Also, I was probably up a little too early, and then fell asleep again before the propagation picked up.)

3 Likes

Toru-san,

Thank you for 4 QSO’s across 2 UTC dates. The only JA station I worked on 3 bands.

Regards & 73!
Andrei, de ZL1TM

4 Likes

Chris, Thanks for your 2 calls. You are always very strong and amazing.
Toru K JA1CTV

1 Like

S2SのQSOを有難うございました!

1 Like

Hi Andrei,
Thanks a lot. Appreciate always. It was very stable signals through out today from you and got many NA, EU, OC and AS stations. Wish to see you soon mate.

Toru K JA1CTV

I don`t remember very well but I think I was chased by Chris 3 or 4 times during very early morning activation (approximately 2100UTC) and during this time his signals always were stronger than the ¨normal¨ time (0800 UTC)
The same with DJ5AV, also his signals were 599+

2 Likes

Take san
Thanks for your call today, I got many S2S just in a day. From now will count them.

Toru K JA1CTV

2 Likes

Thank you! When I called you my battery was running flat… luckily we did it!
73 de JP3PPL

Ian
Yap, 15m was very good today. Thanks for your call, always appreciate.
Toru K JA1CTV

Dear JA friends, thanks for organizing this event.

I went to activate EA2/NV-092. I woke up early and arrived in the summit at 06:00 utc.
Weather was miserable with light rain.
I struggled to setup the antenna: big mast (9 m) and difficulties to put it up against the wind, but after 40 minutes I started the rig.
Equipment: KX-3, 10 watt. Batt: Lipo 4S plus diode V reducer. Antenna: Vertical EFHW.

I focused on 14 MHz.
I worked first some EU stations, and after 15 minutes I got a call from JH1MXV, thanks Hatori!
It seems this opened the Long path window and I then worked @VK2IO, @VK1DA, @ZL1TM, @ZL1BQD and @VK5CZ. That was great!

Afterwards I tried to hear some of the activators running on 14 CW, and I succesfully heard @JP3DGT Katsu, @JI3BAP Aki, @JA5QJX Yasu and @JS1UEH Takeshi.

Some of them were barelly readable and others better. I called some of them unsuccesfully, as I think my power was lower to their.
I had better luck with Aki JI3BAP/P who was kind and requested AGN several times until he got my callsign right! I am very glad to log my first JA S2S.

I heard many EU ops succesfully logging the JA ops. At the end I tried 18 and 21 MHz a bit but signals were much lower for me.

Operating today was unpleasant. I worked half an hour holding my umbrella with one hand while operating with the other: nasty!
At the beginning my aerial was dangling around with the wind and that changed my calling frequency inadvertedly untill I was conscious I had lost my pile up!

Certainly it was not the best day for Portable, but these precious DX made it worthwile.
I’m looking to try next year with a better setup.

Thank all and see you soon.
忘れられない一日をありがとうございました

73 de Ignacio EA2BD

13 Likes

Hello friends,
As I had little time for QRV today, I headed for the easiest summit in AKITA prefecture.
This is JA/AT-135, about 100m from the parking area !
It was cold and windy though…

Thank you for calling me,folks. :partying_face:
Atsu

9 Likes

Hello, SOTA Friends!
I had lots of fun yesterday on Flint Peak, W6/CT-225. My setup was a KX3 running 5 watts and two antennas; a 66’ doublet and a 15 meter half square, both fed with a single CAT5 twisted pair. A 30’ Spiderbeam pole supported one end of each antenna and the other ends were tied to a fence around the comms facility.
I was ready to operate around 21Z and started with a couple of US S2S. Then I was delighted to hear and work Takeo, JP3PPL/3 on 15 meters. A few minutes later I heard Christian, F4WBN, calling JP3DGT/3. Katsu was not copiable, but we managed a QSO later on 17 meters. Hideo (?), JH1MXV, a regular chaser, called in on 15 meters. Yuki, JF1NDT/1, had a good signal on 12 meters and we quickly completed an S2S. 20 meters was disappointing. I never heard any stations spotted there well enough to try calling.
In total I had 12 S2S with Japanese stations. 12 and 10 meters will be great S2S bands soon.

Conditions on Flint Peak were warm and sunny to start. As the afternoon progressed a storm was approaching so the wind picked up and the temperature dropped. My half square vertical elements are very light and blow around easily. I wonder how the pattern changes as the elements move. I packed up before sunset.
Thank you for organizing the event. It was a pleasure to participate!
72, David N6AN

14 Likes

I was able to receive some weak signals from JA activators on CW on 20m and 17m. Nothing heard on other bands or modes. Didn’t manage to make a S2S into JA - but my log did include a ZL, so that in itself was satisfying.

Hope this becomes a regular event.

6 Likes

Quick summary of JA SOTA Day
JA station SOTA Watch Spots : 448
Spotted summits : 57
Spotted callsign : 56
There are non-spotted operations then the numbers are more.

My results
Total QSO : 152
Total S2S QSO numbers : 35
Pointed S2S QSO numbers : 34
Total S2S points : 135

It was really fun and the results are best record for me in terms of QSO numbers and S2S numbers.

Thanks all.

Toru K JA1CTV / JH0CJH

9 Likes

Hi Tom,
I listened for you while you worked ZL1BQD but heard nothing of you here in vk2. I was hearing EA and DL stations well. Worked EA2BD and heard EA4R and EA2LU. Some odd propagation happening there.
I also heard some W callers but didn’t see a spot or cq for them so no chance to chase them.
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

4 Likes