JA SOTA DAY (Part 1)

Didn’t activate SOTA from Taiwan for a long time due to having other activities with my young 3-year-old daughter rather than mountain hiking. But I manage to participate this Japan SOTA day two weeks later. I will activate BV/HS-012 (have put an alert already) and go camping with my wife and daughter. This summit is also a campsite same as BV/HS-013 which BU2EQ will activate on that day. Good luck SOTA S2S, regards, Huawei. 73 de BX2AI

3 Likes

Hello Huawei
I am looking forward to S2S.

De Katsu JP3DGT

1 Like

Thanks Katsu, my station at BV/HS-012 will be set-up ready before 09:00 19th Mar. UTC until around 03:00 20th Mar. UTC . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll aim to be QRV on 20m CW, FT8, SSB on 20th March, 0700-1000z. Hoping that might catch the propagation!

5 Likes

Hi Tom
I’m looking forward to it.

Hi folks,
Just checked if there is any contest coincident with the JA SOTA day, and found that on that weekend the “Russian DX Contest” will take place (1200 UTC 19 March till 1159 UTC 20 March 2022)

This contest will probably make things difficult regarding a DX qso on 14 MHz due to contest stations in this band.
I should perhaps consider if 18 MHz is the band of choice for a better chance. By looking at the VOACAP simulation (see my previous post up in this thread) perhaps it is a good idea in the end…
I will try to use an antenna capable of running both in 14 and 18 MHz just in case.

73 Ignacio

3 Likes

Hi Ignacio.
The Russian DX contest was within our expectations.
So we tested the effective bands in a recent test operation.
We got good results on 14MHz, 18MHz and 21MHz, so we decided to see how it goes and go for the real contest.

De Katsu JP3DGT

BU2EQ 参上!

See you then.

4 Likes

it also coincides with the last hours of the VK National Field day which ends at 0100 on the 20th. I will plan to operate briefly in the Field day but will be alert for JA signals on various bands during the day.

73 Andrew VK1DA

4 Likes

Katsu-san

I also entered an alert.
I hope the propagation is good.

de seiji/JG4LCS

3 Likes

I’ll join the event. Hope to see you on the air!

Aki JI3BAP

4 Likes

Propagation to Japan has been good on 17 and 15 meters the last few weeks. Today JH1MXV and 7N1FRE called me on 15 with good signals. Along with JA5QJX/0, I’ve worked them several times this year.
If the solar flux is high enough 12 and even 10 might open.
I’ll be active for the event.
David N6AN

3 Likes

What is a good time on 15 and 17m for hitting the States from Asia right now? I’m joining the 20th as well and am looking for a good window to maximize my activation.

6 Likes

From Japan approximately between 2100 to 0200 UTC. Possibly from Taiwan it is quite similar.

2 Likes

And thanks for today`s QSO!

1 Like

Wasn’t easy because of the local QRN that plagues me, but we made it. Cheers for another point. I’ll try to activate around 2300 and later on March 19/20. Not sure which summit I’ll activate, yet.

3 Likes

It is also the John Moyle Field Day Contest in VK.

John VK6NU

1 Like

I agree with Takeo, Hans. The path is longer and your sunrise is about an hour later.

There is a path on 20 between 15 and 1730Z when YC2VOC, YB1TIA and JA stations have been heard, but that’s outside the SOTA Day window.
David N6AN

1 Like

I think the promising bands will be 18 and 21Mhz.
During my activation on March 4 the signals from the USA were very strong. Possibly I would have made more QSOs if the dipole had been oriented E-W
I started the activation at 2200 UTC (local 0700)

4 Likes

I will use Full size vertical with elevated radial for 20m band. For another band , 17m,15m and more, will use T1 ATU at feed point. Also PD battery for a little more power and long operation. ,

5 Likes