Irritating things

Walk up wasn’t too bad. No response to my CQ calls. Gatecrashed the net on 145.425MHz - all people I know - and made four QSOs, including two active SOTA chasers.

Horrid for the return walk. My waterproof trousers were not waterproof against horizontal sleet. Probably time for a new pair! Now drying off in the car before continuing the commute to Doncaster.

4 Likes

I don’t know what make your waterproofs are, but if they are Paramo and in good condition, they might be worth professionally cleaning and reproofing. Other manufacturers may offer a similar service and I suppose there may be independent cleaners offering the same…

Although I had cleaned and waterproofed my clothing regularly at home, I noticed that my jacket was taking a small amount of water onboard, so I decided to have my jacket done, It is now back to near new condition. Okay it cost £30, but a new jacket costs £300. Trousers of course cost less, so it is a case of determining whether it is worthwhile having them done.

They’re ripped up to the knee on the right leg as well. Only cheapo overtrousers from Millets.

Time for some new ones then Tom… ask Santa for some.

Charlie Delta Oscar, the way it’s supposed to be

Use this advice at your own risk…

A fabric scientist once told me that once oils get into the membrane they will conduct water through and no amount of soap flakes or tech wash is going to fix it. So if your waterproofs don’t react to the normal wash and reproof regimen, it might be time to break the rules…and do exactly what they tell you not to.

Biological washing fluid (not powder) is the only thing that will shift it. Give it a wash in that and the oil and the proofing is gone. Then tech wash to remove the detergent, then reproof. I would only use this when all else fails, but I will say it worked for me on a 20 year old eVent coat. YMMV.

Ahh EVent, the new waterproof membrane that was invented/put into waterproofs by Lowe Alpine i think and is more breathable than goretex, at the time, but just as waterproof, then for some bizarre reason they abandoned it. Never did find out why but it certainly was a bit mad, huge marketing and trial for this new waterproof material and then the fullr ange being eVent then after only a year or two it ditched it for goretex.

I think it was around for a good few years. It was supposed to be lighter and more breathable than Gore-tex. It was made of PTFE just like Gore-Tex, so the advice should be good