Introducing DAGA (dagger in English), "Definitive APRS Gadget for Activators"

DAGA is a tool for us, SOTA activators, so that we do not have to rely on mobile phones and/or network coverage. We will be able to send AND receive spots, using amateur radio networks: APRS, APRS-LoRa, DMR, and APRS-IS.

DAGA was born from an idea by Jose EA2EYI and has been developed by a group of members of the Radio Club Foronda of Vitoria-Gasteiz -EA2RCF- in the Basque Country, where there is a great passion for SOTA.

Its main advantages are:

• It allows not only sending spots but also receiving them, unlike other tools. It doesn’t matter if the origin is other activator, RBNHole, or the chasers themselves.
  • DAGA uses short and simple commands, easy to enter from the keypad of a talkie.
  • The syntax of the commands is also very simple, reducing the number of keystrokes needed.
  • DAGA offers a series of simple and flexible filters for receiving spots. We will only receive those that interest us.
  • The presentation of the received spots is oriented towards the screens of talkies and trackers.
  • DAGA uses amateur radio networks, making the use of mobile phones or the need for having network coverage unnecessary.
  • DAGA minimizes traffic on our networks to the bare minimum.
  • DAGA automates the sending of spots to the maximum, even simpler than through a web page.

DAGA acts as an interface between all the mentioned networks and SOTAWATCH. It is hosted in a high-capacity data center with a high-speed connection line to Internet.

If you are interested, all the information is available at: https://daga.ea2rcf.org

(By the moment, only english and spanish languages are available. We are working for offering it on Basque, French and German as well).

We have also opened a forum at DAGA@groups.io | Home for any questions that could arise regarding the development of this new tool.

DAGA is already available to you, do not hesitate to use it, we hope it will be helpful to you!

12 Likes

So, it runs on VHF only. Not great for the many tree-covered summits here, and the relatively few VHF receiving stations in this area.

I’ll personally stick with the HF-enabled sotamat system, which has worked every time (20+ times) I’ve tried it, even from within thick forest.

Good luck with your DAGA system, I’m sure it will prove popular.

2 Likes

Hi,

Looking at the graphic I can not find what is new or the benefit of this system?

APRS-IS > SOTAwatch is already done by APRS2SOTA thanks to Stewart G0LGS. https://www.sotaspots.co.uk/

And that works also with Digital APRS, MeshCom (via APRS) and LoRaAPRS as it was already reported in the LoRaAPRS Tracker discussions here.
Just send a message to SSID: SOTA in the right format and that’s it.

Reinventing the wheel?
But I guess I missed something?

73 Joe

1 Like

With fewer spokes! It looks like the commands are simpler and there is less typing.

5 Likes

I noticed the “serialization” of commands. That is only needed because radio manufacturers still have not managed to create proper user interfaces for text entry (appart from 700 €+ Kenwood handhelds). Or allow phones to act as messenger tools (terminal keyboards or KISS interfaces) which would be very straight forward via Bluetooth I guess.

2 Likes

Looks very well thought out, is well document and more streamlined than APRS2SOTA. I will definitely give it a go!

3 Likes

LoRa APRS does allow users to enter data on their phones.

1 Like

Richard, thanks for the hint.

I knew about that ( I am aware of the KISS interface on the LoRaAPRS.). that’s why I was hitting on “the big” radio companies.

1 Like

Let’s say “improving the wheel” ! :slight_smile: A backend running database makes the spot send message to be as short as p7030c (6 characters) . And remember that you can also receive spots with predefined filters. So short, so easy. Give it a try !

2 Likes

Well actually it works not only on VHF but on any gadget that can reach APRS-IS network as UHF DMR Repeaters, recently growing UHF LoRa APRS network, including APRS.IS app for IOS or APRSDroid for Android with any kind of connection to the network.

3 Likes

I agree, this is a good continuous improvement of the wheel that will allow us to give some more use to our wonderful vhf band. From those high peaks far away from sky-stations and with full APRS coverage there is no doubt that it will keep us connected to the most adventurous people. Tu&73 !

4 Likes

3 Likes

I’m not sure that diagram is quite right? Or if it is, it’s very confusing. It’s certainly not complete.

For me, the diagram on the DAGA website is far more useful.

APRS2SOTA has a more intuitive format and would always be my choice when using LoRa with a mobile phone as the interface. I can see that DAGA has its place if you are stuck with a Yaesu handy though.

1 Like

Of course the diagram could be more detailed for sure. :slight_smile: I did both, this one and the website one.

OTOH, perhaps APRS2SOTA could be more intuitive, but using any of the possibilities, what do you prefer to type while being on the field activating?

• APRS2SOTA: Ass/Ref Freq Mode callsign comment
    e.g.: EA2/BI-001_14064_CW_EA2CW/P
  • DAGA: PFreqMode (or even PFreq if you haven’t changed the mode)
    e.g.: P14064C

I have already used it, not only with a Yaesu handheld, but also with Kenwood (APRS), Anytone (DMR), Alinco (DMR), LoRa tracker via KISS with APRSdroid, or directly to APRS-IS with APRSDroid. In all the cases, I had to type quite less using DAGA.

But as it is said around here: “For different tastes are different colours” :wink:

73, Mikel

4 Likes

I have a mobile phone so I don’t need to type all the information. I use cut and paste and just edit any changes. Easy and intuitive. Each to his own. Always good to have options - and I would probably have used DAGA if I still had my Yaesu FT2DR.

Now you can send some commands directly from the web, before starting or after finishing your activation. This way, you can choose to operate only from your APRS device, or make things simpler before going out from home, your choice!
https://daga.ea2rcf.org/en/send.php

Remember that now you can use DAGA fully on English, Spanish, German, French or Basque languages, thanks to our “Department of localisation”* :wink:

Waiting for your proposals to make DAGA better!

73 de Mikel

• If you find any mistake in the translations, probably it was my fault, not theirs…
4 Likes

Few days ago I successfully completed an activation of OK/OL-063 using only DAGA for spotting. The system worked flawlessly, despite my handheld’s (Yaesu FT-2D) interface for APRS messaging being not quite user friendly. The touch screen requires firm and precise touch :smile: But with DAGA’s short commands it was actually usable. In my opinion DAGA is superior to APRS2SOTA, which I have used a few times in the past.

Thanks @EA2CQ and the whole DAGA team for creating this excellent tool.

Marcin

7 Likes

Very nice! :slight_smile:

From my pov the new features compared to the existing solutions is the simplified syntax and the reception of SOTA spots automatically in an event driven manner. As far as i know with SOTA2APRS i have to actively request spots to receive them.
Here i can get it pushed automatically if i understood it right.

Fun fact: I was actually working the last weeks to implement the SOTA2DMR and SOTA2APRS mechanism for myself to receive Spots on the go.

Glad to see someone did it already.

Did not see a Github reference though. Assuming like usual in ham radio tools this will remain closed source? :thinking:

However great tool. Thanks!

Might ping you via pn. I have another neat feature in mind but only developed a prototype so far

73, Andreas DO4AF

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused about how APRS works and which handelds are used for this purpose. From what I understand, APRS allows me to send messages (are they called SMS in this context?) through the APRS network. These messages could potentially reach the APRS-IS network via a repeater.

My goal is to use this to send a spot using DAGA, especially in areas where I don’t have cell service, which happens quite often.

I’d need a handheld radio for this. Ideally, I’d want one that’s compatible with DMR or similar digital modes. Does anyone have recommendations for a handheld that supports APRS and DMR?

Someone recommended the T-TWR REV2.1 – LILYGO®, but I’m also considering a regular handheld. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Your choice is mainly dictated by what sorts of networks you have in the areas you are intending operating. Some potential options may not actually be viable.