International SOTA Weekend 1 – 2 May 2010

In reply to M0GIA:

Heavy rain forecast Saturday :frowning: better Sunday.

In reply to G1INK:

Heavy rain forecast Saturday :frowning: better Sunday.

Better call the whole thing off until next weekend them ;0)

Okay so I am working all weekend and will miss it. Have fun guys and gals.

In reply to G1INK:
The forecast chart for Saturday midday suggests rain in the south and southwest but NW, SP and perhaps LD and the southern part of NP clear, and another front over SB and parts of SS. Not the best but probably not a total washout!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G1INK:
See you on SP-004 with a brolly on Saturday morning then!

Latest information of intended active associations/regions on International SOTA Weekend:

G - CE, LD, NP, SE, SP, WB
GW - MW, NW, SW
GD -
GM - NS, SS, ES
GI - MM
ZS -
EI -
DM - BM, NS, RP, SA
SV - TL
OE - OO, SB, TI
DL - AL
HA - KD, KM
HB -
W2 - GA, GC
F - PO
OK - KA, US
ON - ON
SP -
OH -
HB0 -
LA - TM
SM -
S5 -
PA - PA
OD -
TK -
Z3 - EM, WM
W1 -
W6 - CC
VE2 - SG
W3 -
VP8 -
LX -
OZ -
9H -
YO -
E7 -
VE1 - NS
W0 - FR

61 alerts in 20 associations as of 28/04/2010. It would be nice to get the rest of the European associations on air for International SOTA Weekend - any takers?

Tom M1EYP

W0LI will be activating W0/FR-070 on May 1 and 2 at approx 1500z both days. Richard will be running QRO cw on 14.060 and 21.060.

In reply to KI6J:
Good news the trail has now cleared and also of another possible activation in W0 land. Sean M0GIA

Hi guys keep your ears open for me. If i make it I will be Northern Pennines… not sure where yet…need a clear one…he he. Hi Tom long time no speak… Hope to catch you all at the weekend… Also check out GB2HFF…

73s de 2E0XLG
Chris
www.2e0xlg.co.uk
Node 5505
EchoIRLP 452727

Hi guys keep your ears open for me. If i make it I will be Northern Pennines… not sure where yet…need a clear one…he he. Hi Tom long time no speak… Hope to catch you all at the weekend… Also check out GB2HFF…

73s de 2E0XLG
Chris
www.2e0xlg.co.uk
Node 5505
EchoIRLP 452727
Yorkshire Dales Contest Group

Hi All,

Here is an update list for associations and regions that are taking part in the International SOTA weekend.

GW - MW, NW, SW
GD -
GM - CS, ES, NS, SS
GI - MM
ZS -
EI -
DM - BM, NS, RP, SA
SV - AT, TL
OE - OO, SB, TI
DL - AL
HA - EM, KD, KM
HB -
W2 - GA, GC
F - PO
OK - KA, LI, US
ON - ON
SP -
OH -
HB0 -
LA - TM
SM -
S5 - BI, GS, RG, TK
PA - PA
OD -
TK -
Z3 - WM
W1 -
W6 - CC
VE2 - SG
W3 -
VP8 -
LX -
OZ -
9H -
YO -
E7 -
VE1 - NS
W0 - FR

I hope more associations take part in the International SOTA weekend and I look forward to working the summit to summits tomorrow and Sunday.

Jimmy M3EYP

S5/GS region added to the list above for International SOTA Weekend.

Jimmy M3EYP

Here is an update of associations taking part on International SOTA weekend.

GW - MW, NW, SW
GD -
GM - CS, ES, NS, SS
GI - MM
ZS -
EI -
DM - BM, NS, RP, SA, TH
SV - AT, TL
OE - OO, SB, TI, NO
DL - AL
HA - EM, KD, KM
HB -
W2 - GA, GC
F - PO
OK - KA, LI, US
ON - ON
SP -
OH -
HB0 -
LA - TM
SM -
S5 - BI, GS, RG, TK
PA - PA
OD -
TK -
Z3 - WM
W1 -
W6 - CC
VE2 - SG
W3 -
VP8 -
LX - LX
OZ -
9H -
YO -
E7 -
VE1 - NS
W0 - FR

Jimmy M3EYP

Here I am stuck in work all weekend and there have been over fifty SOTA spots for International SOTA Weekend already and it is only 10:00 hours. It looks like the event is going to be a great success. Fantastic effort from the activators, I just hope there are enough chasers to go around. I expect a record points tally for some this weekend, who will be the first to get 100 chaser points? I wonder. Good luck to all.

73 Steve GW7AAV

Day two is off and running and I am in work again. I hope there will be a few of you out for Monday (May day) when I will be home to chase, but only until 1300 local as I am on 12 hr nights for four days.

So did you more than 100 chaser points yesterday?
Did anyone get more than 100 summit to summit chaser points?
What was your best DX from or to a summit?

My best DX was Tom M1EYP/P on the Gun G/SP-013 on 2m FM. Tom provided my only point of the weekend when I got home from work.

73 Steve GW7AAV

You aren’t the only one missing out Steve. Have visitors at the moment and was fully occupied all day yesterday, it will be the same today until mid afternoon. I had been planning to go out both days and get some points but as yet haven’t been able to work anyone.

Keith G8HXE.

In reply to G8HXE:

I noticed that there were 16 active spots at 13:00, so obviously very high activity. Unfortunately I was limited to the six traditional HF bands on a lovely old TS-520S and conditions were far from good but I gleaned half a dozen chases, culminating in a dash upstairs to work M0GIA on Top Band at 20:20 UTC - I had to plug back in the antenna and work with my fingers crossed in a spectacular thunderstorm!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve!

I collected yesterday 134 points out of 36 QSOs even if my son visited me in the morning claiming some help to compile table of content to his diploma work, convert it into .PDF, burn on CD, print it, etc. Furthermore we are having IARU Region-1 VHF Contest from 14:00UTC !!! :slight_smile:

HA5MA Laci told me in the early afternoon that he collected over 50 QSOs, thus he should be close to or over 200 points!

73: Jóska, HA5CW

In reply to HA5CW:
I am now back in the warmth of my home after a fantastic overnight stay on Gun (G/SP013). Lastnight was very windy and cold but amazingly we somehow avoided the rain apart from a few drops a couple of hours ago.

It was great to play on the different bands and modes, Thank you to all those who worked me (especially CW) and spotted me. Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

ISW 2010 will be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Late arrival on the hill, appalling weather, 23cms equipment failure being the standouts. I’ve never seen rain like that on the summit after 1400z. Horizontal driven rain and hail, drops the size of marrowfat peas with such a deluge of water that my GoreTex jack was wetted out in a few minutes. After just a single 70cms SSB contact and 9 2m FM contacts I abandoned the activation. It was impossible to keep any equipment dry once out of its protective bags/boxes. There seemed little point in continuing. The walk out was rough too with the path turning into a river in the run off, the water being at least 4cm deep on the path most of the way down.

Apologies to those waiting on other bands and modes.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I thought it was only me!!

Peat hags, bog, snow, rain, appalling hf conditions, knackered and then the insufferable activators enjoying sun and warmth including that wretch Adrian, 2M0ETR, not a dozen miles away on the Black Isle, in day long sunshine.

Got off the hill, wading through the water on the tracks, to find only my hill (and Ben Wyvis) had been in clag all day while everywhere else had sunshine!

But I loved it (later in the pub with n (an integer greater than one but less than 10) real ales in my belly!

Barry GM4TOE