International SOTA Weekend 1 – 2 May 2010

Following the discussions on the reflector the Management Team would like to confirm that they encourage and support holding an International SOTA Weekend in May.

The original concept by Sean M0GIA was for an event to encourage summit to summit contacts between the many International Associations that comprise SOTA, and to give Chasers the opportunity to work as many different associations as possible. This does mean that HF may be required but does not mean that this is solely an HF event; all licensed bands can, and where possible should, be used to make contacts. The choice of operating band and mode is left to the individual activator as always.

The International SOTA Weekend in 2009 was such an overwhelming success the MT proposes that this should become an annual event on the first weekend in May every year. The first weekend being defined as the weekend that immediately precedes the UK May Day public holiday (which is always the first Monday in May).

This year the International SOTA Weekend will be held on the 1 and 2 of May 2010 and we encourage all activators to post their planned activations on SOTAwatch as soon as is practicable.

Barry Horning GM4TOE
on behalf of the SOTA Management Team

In reply to GM4TOE:

Maybe the sub-Arctic conditions will subsided by then ;0)
Bet I will be working :0(

Someone needs to sticky this like the news, until May.

Edit: Checked my rota and I am working:0( Have fun guys!

In reply to GW7AAV:

There were times today,when it looked & felt like a chilly summer evening here :slight_smile:

Last years ISW was fun, I hope to be out again this year, somewhere, away from the noise. It’s worth climbing a summit just for that :slight_smile:

I’m not sure which summit yet, or whether I’ll be alone, & I probably won’t even post an alert. But I should be out & about somewhere, with any luck :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to GM4TOE:

Good choice - that’s the weekend of the RSGB 432MHz and up contest - so an extra incentive for me to get my 23cm transverter finished!

I’ll probably do some HF as well like last time. Summit to be determined - but probably in Dumfries and Galloway, and quite likely my “local” down there, Cairnharrow GM/SS-191 which gives a good takeoff for all points south.

Look forward to this, hope the sun shines on us.

John GM8OTI

Latest information of intended active associations/regions on International SOTA Weekend:

G - LD, SP, WB
GW - NW, SW
GD -
GM - NS, SS
GI -
ZS -
EI -
DM - RP
SV -
OE - OO, TI
DL - AL
HA -
HB -
W2 - GA, GC
F -
OK - KA
ON - ON
SP -
OH -
HB0 -
LA -
SM -
S5 -
PA -
OD -
TK -
Z3 -
W1 -
W6 - CC
VE2 - QC
W3 -
VP8 -
LX -
OZ -
9H -
YO -
E7 -

It will be nice to see this summary expanding as we move closer to May.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Thats a lot of associations/regions over a weekend, Any information on which associations/regions took part in last years ISW?

May is not far away now so I expect the alerts to start going up in numbers soon. Sean M0GIA

It would be really excellent to have all our European associations active on the weekend, especially those rarer ones like HB0, OH and SP. Also the new ones like OZ, LX and 9H. Outside Europe? Well things seem to be really taking off in North America with all the extra associations and much increased activity levels, so that should be good. It would be nice to have South Africa active during ISW, and maybe a first ever activation from Lebanon OD?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Lets hope all associations take part, Now I have developed my CW skills to the point where I can make QSO’s on my own I will be looking for S2S in as many associations that i can.

Possible overnight activation including 160m with a twist? 2m/70cm FM & SSB also planned, This will also give my brain a rest from the CW!

I see W6S alerted as follows: 2 day multi-op. Subject to permit approval.
If approval is granted I am sure that’s going to be a busy 2 days with that call.

More effort from me this year, Last years ISW took me by surprise with activity far beyond my expectation.

Anyone trying anything new from a summit during the ISW? Getting closer…Sean M0GIA

In reply to M0GIA:

Anyone trying anything new from a summit during the ISW? Getting
closer…Sean M0GIA

Looks like we are going to try the first activation of OK/KA-030 with OK1JRA during the day and one of the lower summits nearby overnight. Anybody planning to be on 80m PSK-31 in the evening? Still waiting for my first digimode S2S.

Marek OK9HAG

I am planning being on Gun SP-013 all day Saturday - and all day Sunday. But we’ll see - all good intentions and that! It could be a lot of fun. Will go and have another look at the spots to see if any more associations can be recorded as active on ISW in the list above.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to GM4TOE:

The International SOTA Weekend in 2009 was such an overwhelming
success the MT proposes that this should become an annual event on the
first weekend in May every year. The first weekend being defined as
the weekend that immediately precedes the UK May Day public holiday
(which is always the first Monday in May).

So in the year 2017, when the first Monday in May will be May 1st, which weekend is to be the International SOTA Weekend?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

“Sufficient unto the day…”

Brian G8ADD

29 associations still awaiting their first alert for International SOTA Weekend!

Is any activator out there going to be calling “CQ SOTA” from any of the following?

GD, GM, GI, ZS, EI, SV, OE, DL, HA, HB, F, SP, OH, HB0, LA, SM, S5, PA, OD, TK, Z3, W1, W3, VP8, LX, OZ, 9H, YO, E7

(Plenty of alerts already submitted for the G, GW, DM, W2, W6, VE2, ON and OK associations).

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom, it all depends on snow situation and wx here. I’d like to activate OE/TI-457, TI-468 and DL/AL-157, but last year it took me almost 3 hours to reach TI-457 through knee-deep snow. I will alert as soon as the forecast will permit.

73 Bernhard DL4CW

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom, my situation is the same as Bernhard. Was planning on activating GM/ES-051 & 057 but this area has had extremely heavy snow falls in the last few days. I will be postng an alert nearer the day.

Mike

In reply to MM0ROV:

Hi Mike,

Little Conval is fine right now but Meikle Conval does have a fair covering of new snow - but it is going fast. Why not go the whole hog and do their big neighbour as well, there are plenty of places to shelter near the summit.

If you need an up to date status on Ben Rinnes I can see it from here.

Barry GM4TOE

In reply to GM4TOE:

Thanks for the wx report Barry - As the snow is going rapidly, it looks like the 2 Convals are back on the cards. I did think about doing all 3 but after sitting in he office all winter, my fitness levels are not what they should be.

I was up Ben Rinnes last year but carried out the activation in the cloud so would like to go again on a clearer day. Maybe I will change my mind at the end of the month after a few activations.

73 Mike

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi tom, i will be active from GM/NS, summit still to be decided. Most likely a lower summit as im on-call for work and better not venture to far.

Looking forward to my 1st ISW

Adrian
2M0ETR

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom

I will be activating from GM/SS - summit to be decided - on the Sunday. Hopefully will get the Saturday off work and do the two days.

Neil 2M0NCM

I have updated the association list further up in this thread, with intentions declared in this topic or added to the alerts. Hopefully these will continue to roll in over the next days and weeks.

Tom M1EYP