As discussed a few days back in New Associations & Updates October 2014 I had finally figured out how to get proper non-Latin character support working on the database.
The changes to the database itself were made and to test operation the Ukrainian association summit data was reloaded. This time the names appeared in Cyrillic and English. I have now updated the database application so that you can search for summit names using non-Latin characters in addition to Latin characters.
Everything looks to be working. But as you are used to my software testing skills there may something broken that was working. If you find something then please let me know.
Note that only Ukraine UT has been reloaded. All other associations that use characters that were not part of Windows codepage-1252 will still be wrong. Some may be best fit characters others will display garbage. We will re-upload these associations bit by bit over the coming months. It’s a slightly involved process with lots of places for making errors so please be patient whilst Tom and me do this.
Off the top of my head the following associations need reloading: E7, HA, OK, OM, S5, SP, YO, YU, Z3. I am hoping that the all the correct characters are in the data files we use to load the database. For SV and HL, there is more work as I don’t see Greek and Hangul characters in the data files. This means there will be some work for the AMs to do.
obo SOTA MT