IGNORANCE

Sounds like an obsessive drive to achieve something, no matter what!

Hey,
This is a competitive world. Itā€™s the way of the West. It influences all our activities. SOTA is about achievement of personal goals (no sheep stations or $M at stake). Now if its a peak I havenā€™t worked before Iā€™m keen. Very keen. If the QSB is deep I donā€™t know if the other guy has gone QRT, is listening or is still working another station. So maybe Iā€™ll just call and see what happens. Not going to hurt is it? Irritating perhaps, not considered good manners by the middle class perhaps but no blood on the floor. So lets move on. No need for police action.

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

It is a very accurate definition of the concept.
But ansia viva there is not only in Spanish ham radio operators!

73 de EA4R Alfonso

1 Like

Is not the same. Ansia Viva is what makes me try to achieve a goal, to be at the top of a ranking, without thinking much about ethics when it comes to achieving my goal. I want to call the first one, I canā€™t stop chasing any activator ā€¦ even in several bands when really only one QSO scores.

73 de EA4R Alfonso

That sounds like a lack of self-confidence to me

2 Likes

hi Alfonso,

Thatā€™s something that is common to hot-blooded dxers in various countries. At its core I think there is a selfishness and unwillingness to cooperate. An inability to relate to others, or understand the need to behave cooperatively in a social hobby, just makes it unpleasant for others and causes some dx ops to shut down.

One idea I tried with limited success when I was at a rare country is to notify a qsy while the big loud guy is transmittingā€¦

I hope the offender will soon realise he is not helping his own cause by operating in this way. Maybe too much to hope for.

73 Andrew vk1da/2uh.

2 Likes

It can be a pain at times.
Given up never. Till heā€™s packed his bags and moved on.

In other words listen a tad more please until QRZ is heard and then one call for he will get to around all sooner or later,s. If not be another day someone else will visit the place.

Karl 2E0FEH

2E0FEH

2 Likes

Andrew that is!!!

Is there a word in english to explain that behavior? Slang or formalā€¦

73ā€™s de Rick EA4M

Is there a word in english to explain that behavior? Slang or formalā€¦

Perhaps ā€˜Phantom DXpedition Syndromeā€™. Characterised by an irrational belief the chaser is working a highly sought after DX entity that will be tied up 24/7 with calls from around the world when in fact, itā€™s just someone on Rombaldā€™s Moor who will be QRT in 30 minsā€¦
No offence to anyone living in Ilkley intended.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

2 Likes

You never know, whoever this operator is, he will suddenly go QRT from SOTA like others have done. A few were banned for outrageous behaviour on the old reflector when they disagreed with some rule or point made by AN Other SOTA Operator, some give up due to ill health and dissapear from SOTA. Some have excuses like I moved house, or am moving house soon, so I will pack the station up. They apparently go permanent SOTA QRT, some just stop one day and are a mystery, some of us just carry on and on and on and on, which I think is me for now and for the foreseeableā€¦

Time for a dog walk now - my daily exercise on the park and in the woods and by the now silent heritage steam railway. QRT for 90 minutes only ā€¦

73 Phil

1 Like

We also have the capability to exclude outrageous operators by removing their access to SOTA facilities. This has not actually happened yet, but I have emailed a few of the worst offenders on phone warning them that their behaviour is causing problems for activators and reminding them that they can be excluded. This is all in the general rules, look at page 15. The trouble is that I only operate phone so never hear the CW offenders, and will only hear the phone offenders when skip is favourable, so often I can not take any action unless the activators tell me who is consistantly causing them problems.

Instead of complaining in general terms on the reflector, contact me with details and I will issue a warning.

1 Like

A " Ansia viva" It has a good part equal a bad part ā€¦
I am a descendant of Galegos.

Happy Easter

Ah, yes The Curates Egg: The Curates Egg

Part of the wikipedia link extract says: possibly with a preponderance of bad qualities.
Eggs yes - popular at Easter for sure. May finish my chocolate egg tonightā€¦

73 Phil

Wish I could finish mine! I lost a couple of days to some gastric upset and right now canā€™t even look at food!

To return to the topic, the identity of the operator has been passed on to me, and I can reveal that he has been warned about his operating in the past. He has now received a further warning, let us hope that he takes heed.

I turned my radio off several times when the offender got on there and called constantly over and over until he got recognized. It was so annoying I quit chasing for a couple days. Being cooped up with several other things to do I just walked away from the radio. He is usually very loud here and wipes out all other signals when he repeatedly calls over the SOTA op on the summit. enuf said. Back in my hole.
de John Paul // AB4PP

Just one more post before I abandon the shack and mow the lawn!

The MT policy on disruptive chasing is described and discussed in a thread from 2012, those interested in seeing how little has changed (!) can review it:

Now for some mower QRM!

Hello everyone,
I am the station that Don refers to with his comment.

Well, here are many hunters and activators who know me perfectly and they are the ones who truly know how I operate.

I apologize if I have made mistakes but before writing or accusing someone, itā€™s important to should look in the mirror too.

I have nothing more to say and will accept the MT decision that is considered.

If I have to leave the SOTA program for something that seems totally unfair, I will do it and life goes on.

My best wishes to everyone in this Covid-19 crisis and we hope to ear you on the radio.

EA2DT Manuel

Weā€™ll miss you if you go Manuel, no need to though. I enjoy working you when I am activating, you are a very good multimode operator in my opinion, but one who can get carried away by the chase more than most!

You are an experienced and wise enough operator to stay in SOTA without any further problem. You just need to cool it a little, moderate to continue your enjoyment of our branch of the hobby and listen a bit more before speaking - its very easy!

We all ā€œdrop bā€¦ksā€ occasionallyl (English saying for making mistakes) due to QSB, QRM, QRN etc and we may call out of turn sometimes. It happens the odd time by all of us, but not every day. One sometimes has a problem with our occasional mistakes, we have to live with it.

So take care, stay away from Covid-19 and keep filling the log book OM, keep the signals coming out of Pamplona making lots of SOTA QSOs - that is what I think you should do, so when I get activating again I want to hear the EA2DT in there calling, whether in CW or SSB!

73 Phil G4OBK

9 Likes

Sorry about the little edit, Phil, got to maintain standards!

1 Like